Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blaser R93 - Real-time

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Johnnynapalmsc interpolator

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qrynz

Hi guys this is my little personal project. I created the Blaser R93 as a little exercise for the AAA game asset creation and trying out a new workflow using Houdini. Created using zbrush and 3ds max, texturing was done in Substance Painter. Some of the details were done using my own alpha pack which can be found here: https://gumroad.com/l/HsAlphaJR

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• CrackRockSteady
    Overall this looks pretty nice, your material definition is good and the renders look great!

What's holding it back I think is that the textures feel very...procedural, for lack of a better word.  The grunge and scratches are too evenly distributed across the whole model and it doesn't feel real.

I would spend some time studying reference images of real world weapons that have similar materials and wear/damage similar to what you are looking for.  Try to understand why certain parts receive more wear and tear, see where oils and dirt collect, etc.
  • Johnnynapalmsc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall this looks pretty nice, your material definition is good and the renders look great!

What's holding it back I think is that the textures feel very...procedural, for lack of a better word.  The grunge and scratches are too evenly distributed across the whole model and it doesn't feel real.

I would spend some time studying reference images of real world weapons that have similar materials and similar wear/damage similar to what you are looking for.  Try to understand why certain parts receive more wear and tear, see where oils and dirt collect, etc.
    Awesome thanks very much! I will definitely keep that in mind, as this was one of my first weapon models/textures so I'll make sure to improve my next one, or maybe even revamp this a bit :) I tried keeping in mind that I don't want uniform wear during the texturing process, but I know what you mean exactly.
  • CrackRockSteady

I would spend some time studying reference images of real world weapons that have similar materials and similar wear/damage similar to what you are looking for.  Try to understand why certain parts receive more wear and tear, see where oils and dirt collect, etc.
    Awesome thanks very much! I will definitely keep that in mind, as this was one of my first weapon models/textures so I'll make sure to improve my next one, or maybe even revamp this a bit :) I tried keeping in mind that I don't want uniform wear during the texturing process, but I know what you mean exactly.
    To be honest I only really noticed it in the close-up shots, the pulled back shots look fantastic.

Overall though I have to say especially if it's one of your first weapon models you did an awesome job.  I look forward to seeing the next one :)

• Johnnynapalmsc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much! Will start working on another one sometime soon :P