Home Technical Talk

Quadro vs GeForce

Markmars
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Markmars triangle
I am contemplating buying a new PC for game development. 
Quadro vs GeForce for Game Dev( Freelance 3D character artist)
what's better?
Thank you in advance!

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    For a game artist, Quadros offer little to no benefits. Typically you do not need a Quadro, unless you know you need a Quardo. Certain applications, mostly CAD related, do work better with Quadros, but not for anything like Max, Maya, Blender, Modo, Substance Painter, Photoshop, etc. 
  • Markmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    ZacD
    Thank you for quick reply.
    Thanks  a lot!
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    the only software related to games i know where you "could" need a quadro is mari...
    and thats only cause of the vram... but a highend quadro does cost more than my car...
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If you are just wanting more vram, Titans are probably a better option. 
  • almighty_gir
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    The combination of absolutely insane prices of gaming GPU's and multiple regressions due to 'game ready' drivers has me looking at workstation GPU's as well. I am very interested in seeing what kind of benefits if any, a P5000, P6000 or a Radeon Pro WX 9100 has for Substance painter, where it's pretty easy to chew through GPU ram. It would be interesting to know if ECC ram, and better fp32 performance that is available on some pro GPU's would help with tricky bakes. Professional GPU performance in re meshing is another task I would like to have more information on, as that is typically a pretty intense OpenGL task that can be precision sensitive.

• poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I'd check very carefully with Allegorithmic on the ati cards,  they've traditionally been unstable and I'm not even sure the workstation ones are officially supported yet.

Regardless, as far as game work goes the cost/benefit ratio of the workstation cards has long been very poor - especially if you're not hanging it out of a £15k base workstation. 

• janoshx
    Offline / Send Message
    janoshx polycounter lvl 6
    I have been using Quadro P6000 for a month with Maya, substance painter / Designer and 3D coat.

I cannot see any (or maybe a very little) difference between 1080ti and Quadro. I am working with 1-10 million polygon photogrammetry scenes. I have read that substance designer benefits from Quadro with some operations but as far as i have seen, it definitely is not worth of 6000€.

Maya stalls on same place with 1080ti and quadro so the solution is to learn avoid certain situations.
    3D coat has special opengl mode for quadro but to be honest it is difficult to see the difference.

You probably see the difference in industry level cad software like Catia or SolidWorks. Then again I just saw a guy using Catia really smooth on macbook pro with intel gfx card and win 10.
  • Markmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    Well, if GeForce better.
    it's good! :)
  • Markmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    Thanks all for the answers!
    This information is very useful. 
    Thanks a lot!
  • Aabel
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Here's some more information, while the post is a little dated it is still relevant for the Pascal generation of GPU's https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3vm5fa/can_someone_eli5_why_some_quadro_cards_cost_so/

From what I have experienced so far in looking into buying a new GPU, the GPU manufacturers have done a poor job of making the case for professional cards beyond vague promises of increased productivity, and software developers have done a poor job of communicating what kind of calculations their software does and what the GPU means for those calculations beyond vague descriptions of 'acceleration' for some features.
  • Axi5
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Besides ECC and other bells and whistles the Quadros have more CUDA cores. They're usually used for servers and big data. 

Also used for driving critical components such as electronic billboards and more. Honestly its funny where some hardware ends up: I went to an AMD meet where one of their rep's explained that their hardware (didn't say CPU or GPU) was used in a 787.

ZacD is right, you wouldn't buy a quadro unless you wanted a particular feature, reliability or support that it provides. Since all you want is a real time app to work with that's what the GeForce should cover these days. 
  • Markmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Markmars triangle
    Thanks all for the answers!
    Thanks a lot! :)