Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Dylan Young

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Duhlan polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone! I'm Dylan, i'm a character artist in Australia. I've been on polycount for years but never posted much. Finally starting a sketchbook thread to share what I work on to polycount. Always happy for feedback!

Here's a character I did as part of Mold3d's Character Creation for Games class with J. Hill
I chose a concept by Alexis Rives and modelled, textured and rendered it over about 8 weeks.

You can see more renders, marmoset viewer and breakdowns on Artstation.

Replies

• Duhlan
    Offline / Send Message
    Duhlan polycounter lvl 5
    I just finished my entry for the Beneath the Waves challenge on artstation, first time entering any kind of art community challenge, had a lot of fun doing it and I'm already itching to do more! I wonder if it's too late to join the artwar challenge I see everyone posting about :tongue:

The concept was done by Hans Krill as part of the first stage of the challenge. I chose his concept because it had a fantastic silhouette and an interesting blend of cute and monstrous features. I kind of regret not picking something that really tested my anatomy skills, but I liked the design too much to pass it up.

See more renders, breakdowns, turntables, and the marmoset viewer on my Artstation page!

• Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    These are dope, keep'em comin!
  • Duhlan
    Offline / Send Message
    Duhlan polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks! I've got another character I should be able to post in the next couple of days, just touching up the high poly a little.
    Spent last night integrating the pants with the rope and buttons, not quite sure about the buttons right now, i'll work on it a little bit more today. The hands too I've neglected since the blockout stage :p

• universe
    Offline / Send Message
    universe polycounter lvl 7
    @Duhlan Awsome job! I can’t wait to see more!
  • LoganFeliciano
    Offline / Send Message
    LoganFeliciano greentooth
    These are rad! I'll be keeping an eye on this sketchbook!
  • ezybrizy
    Offline / Send Message
    ezybrizy polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Dylan, I love all your characters! Can't wait to see more from you! And thanks so much for the critiques on Bob's lighting, it helped a ton!
  • GraphicArtsAttitude
    Offline / Send Message
    GraphicArtsAttitude polycounter lvl 5
    Really like your creative stuff man   ;)
  • Duhlan
    Offline / Send Message
    Duhlan polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you for the kind words everybody! I'm back with the mushroom guy.

I initially started this character during the Global Game Jam long weekend, I didn't make a game but I wanted to try and challenge myself to take a character through the whole pipeline in just a couple of days. Was pretty dramatic change of pace considering my characters usually take a couple of months to finish.
    I did spend another week or so after I'd finished the Beneath the Waves challenge to polish him, that's where I re-sculpted and re-textured some elements, then also rigged him and created the simple environment for him.
    I've got a marmoset view and some breakdowns on my Artstation post.

The original concept was done by a friend of mine, Alcopopstar, check them out!

• anathen
    Offline / Send Message
    anathen polycounter lvl 8
    Really original designs! super cool stuff :)
  • Duhlan
    Offline / Send Message
    Duhlan polycounter lvl 5
    Hey everyone!

I'm back, I've been pretty quiet lately as I was sinking all of my time into an Art Test for Blowfish Studios in Sydney. They tasked me with creating a low poly character with a 2000 tri limit, and a 256x256 texture, they also wanted me to texture a pre-modlled environment asset, which i'll post after this. The character they gave me was Ciri, from The Witcher games.

Low poly is something I'm really unfamiliar with, but It was fun to do something cute and simple :)

Unfortunately they went with someone else for the position, but it was still a great learning experience.

I've posted it to Artstation as well if anyone wants to check it out there
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/yLkA5

model

• Duhlan
    Offline / Send Message
    Duhlan polycounter lvl 5
    The second part of the art test I probably won't upload as a portfolio piece as environment art is really not my strongest piece, but I figure I might as well post it here so people can check out what I've been doing, I put more time into it than I did the character, but I still would want to put a lot more before I'd consider It a portfolio piece.

I've been teaching myself the Unreal Engine lately so maybe I'll use it as an excuse to try building a small environment in UE4, but for now I'll just put it here.