Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] PROJECT: Diana

polygon
Offline / Send Message
EraiViolett polygon
Decided to go with my design for Diana in the PROJECT skin line. I will re-design her skin as I go with the illustration. Here's a little bit of the Lore I use as an inspiration:

A project created singular, Diana fights alone in search of truth in the new life that has been given to her. With no guidance but a Log in her programming called "Silver Light" that sets her all the questions needed to move forward, and memories she cannot recognize as her own. She works with any means necessary to acquire the information she needs, fighting projects, androids and robots alike. 

Here are some thumbnails with a short description of each, Please let me know which you like best, I'm personally fond of 3 and 4.

1.- In a fight, using her drones to project her pale cascade as she runs through.
2.- A mirror illustration from Leona's. Using her moonfall to scatter the robots around her.
3.- In a hurry, either visualizing her programmed memories or checking data regarding the memories of her foes (other projects).
4.- In a fight, retaliating as she uses her drones to project her pale cascade, and slashes with her blade.

Replies

• ajramsey28
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajramsey28 triangle
    awesome sketches! I like number 4 best. I like the dynamic pose. 
  • Keiraya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keiraya node
    2 and 3 imo. A lot of Diana mirrors Leona and the idea of having her mirror her pose here I think is awesome. I also really like 3's general overall look. She doesn't have to be in combat to be someone you don't want to mess with - like the PROJECT Vayne splash.
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Here's a little of the process, already chose the thumbnail #4, though I decided to alter a bit the camera to add more to the dynamic of her pose. I might make changes in the zoom of the lens or her position in the overall composition (moving her just a little bit to any side) Please let me know what you think!

• EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Backgrounds are hard! Specially if you need to fit them with a dynamic pose. Please give me your feedback!!

• cs_rowan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cs_rowan triangle
    I think you're doing a great job man. Backgrounds ARE difficult to do but i think you have a solid foundation here. I think the foreshortening on the right arm might be a little bit out of sync with the weapon. Or in better words, the positioning the of the weapon seems a bit awkward. That's my feedback for you :smile:
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    cs_rowan said:
    I think you're doing a great job man. Backgrounds ARE difficult to do but i think you have a solid foundation here. I think the foreshortening on the right arm might be a little bit out of sync with the weapon. Or in better words, the positioning the of the weapon seems a bit awkward. That's my feedback for you :smile:
    Thank you so much! When I drew it i wanted the sword to be big, similar to the one she has in Blood Moon. But i see what you mean! Ill try to fix it and make it look proper (I already had to place the sword in a weird position different than the one I did in the thumbnail since the sword was going to be completely cut off) If you see the progress later do let me know if I managed to fix it!
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Here's a little bit of the color study i made. I had already an idea of the direction in colors so that's why there isn't as much variation. 
  • Lidia_María
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lidia_María polygon
    I love the last one, very nice work :D
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Already started with the rendering, I gotta keep in mind all the materials that go into Diana's construct, but for now Ill try just to focus on values and form, I can't wait to add all the textures and light reflections.

• EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Stopped with the heavy details in her as I tend to overdo with a character then half ass a background, so here's what I've done thus far for the bg. Please give me feedback on it, its not my forte. 
  • DavideScalia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavideScalia triangle
    hey i like this concept and pose! 
    be careful with the shadows, they are too dark right now and also not so on point. Try putting some cast shadows! also i don't understand the perspective on her right hand and sword.
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    hey i like this concept and pose! 
    be careful with the shadows, they are too dark right now and also not so on point. Try putting some cast shadows! also i don't understand the perspective on her right hand and sword.
    Thank you for your feedback! Once I get back onto rendering her I'll fix those things. I kept the shadows like that for now as I'm still trying to figure out what the lighting setup will be, same reason she's not casting a shadow. But regarding her hand and sword, could you be more specific about it?
  • katerina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katerina polycounter lvl 6
    I love the concept, but I think one of the things that might be a problem is that Project Vayne came out recently with a similar color scheme (White hair, Purple colors). Maybe heading towards a Blueish purple might differ her more than vayne. The white hair is a common thing but her colors will have to be different since Riot likes to create icon sets and stuff that have the colors as their identifying factor

• EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    katerina said:
    I love the concept, but I think one of the things that might be a problem is that Project Vayne came out recently with a similar color scheme (White hair, Purple colors). Maybe heading towards a Blueish purple might differ her more than vayne. The white hair is a common thing but her colors will have to be different since Riot likes to create icon sets and stuff that have the colors as their identifying factor

I see what you mean, its also a concern for me and Ill see how I can make it different. But I must point out I did my Diana design in October, and Purple being my favorite color its the one I chose (besides it counters Leona's Yellow) Here's the design, its just a sketch.

Perhaps I'll make it a purple pink, but I definitely want to keep it purple. Do you have any suggestions as to make her stand out compared to Vayne, regarding anything else but the color? O:
    Besides, keep in mind Vayne is the first purple they've made, they got few Yellows/Oranges so I think color shouldn't be much of a concern, but the identifying silhouette and design of the character itself. Still, let me know what you think!
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Just because I've seen tons of entries posting their References, I complied a few of my most often looked paintings to make this project. Of Course they are all my fave PROJECT splash art and those that I think serve better for what I have in mind for Diana
  • Dianaismywife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dianaismywife polycounter lvl 5
    How much Do you want me to pay you to turn this

Into THIS Level Of Quality?

Some things to point out tho
    Put the Moon Symbol to the center of the forehead ( Helmet she has on ) 
    The hand that she holds the khopesh turn into "am about to swing stance" Leave it like it is but turn it into a more aggressive position 
    Also

Rather then that its Fucking Perfect 
    THIS IS IT MY FRIEND THE NEXT 1820rp Project Skin
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    @Dianaismywife
    Yo thank you so much for the feedback!! I'm really glad you are liking it so far, I will definitely upgrade the levels of detail until it matches the Riot standard!. Ill be adding the cape (an altered version) later, since I consider that part of visual effects that Ill do alongside the shield. Here's the update I did for today, plenty of stuff still needs work, not one part of this is completely finished (metal needs textures so it looks like metal, not plastic. I need to do color balances, the shield is just a placeholder, and so on!) You can watch the process and be present if you'd like, I'm streaming on twitch.tv/eraiviolett Feel free to join when I go live, which I would say on my twitter :)

• Dianaismywife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks Awesome SO Far Continue 
    But can you do one with the W ( The spheres and the 3 orbs ) and one without 
    or is it too much hassle ?
    Also one thing
    Kinda like this ROTATE THE WEAPON into that(I know its a shitty editing but i hope you get the point)

• Chiharu_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiharu_J polycounter lvl 2
    Looking great already, can't wait to see the final theme. I actually like using colour schemes most of  the time and I understand why she has many dark variations but your colour scheme is great, it works with the mood of the illustration.

• EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    @Dianaismywife There's a reason why I drew the sword in that direction I just haven't shown it yet.

@Chiharu_J Thank you so much!
  • Supradip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supradip polygon
    Looking great bro :)
  • Dianaismywife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EraiViolett okay waitting to see the final outcome then
    But i gave you my suggestion :smile:
    If you want to change anything you now know what
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Going back a few steps to re-do the background, changing it entirely. 
  • Dianaismywife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets go Dude am hyped i cant wait to see the finished thing 
    Hope my positive energy can reach you :)
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Here's the plain background with only color gradients. After finishing the rendering for Diana I'll go back to It and detail what needs details :) 
  • MaoAkari
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaoAkari polycounter lvl 3
    awesome!
    U tried to check it into b/w? I think maybe try some colour contract ro make diana go forward on us? Because in bw its a little mess - to then u can try, if u want of course make some colour warm/cold contrast

i we made 2 variations for ou if u dont mind)
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    MaoAkari said:
    awesome!
    U tried to check it into b/w? I think maybe try some colour contract ro make diana go forward on us? Because in bw its a little mess - to then u can try, if u want of course make some colour warm/cold contrast

i we made 2 variations for ou if u dont mind)
    Oh that looks cool!!! I still have to make the light setup for everything, I know that there's a red light coming from in front and bellow her (I think of it as a bunch of robots in front that are attacking her. And a yellow light coming from her left side. But aside from that I still need to figure out the light setup. I'll try to keep in mind cold vs warm, I like your light blue variation :D but we'll see, ill keep you posted
  • Dianaismywife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it so far but will you be able to turn into this level of Quality?

Did you made the Purple Color Lighter cuz i think it was brighter and more vibrant before

• EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    @Dianaismywife I toned it down because later I'll make it glow. Besides, the overlay shield makes the sword look more purple :)
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Here's an update of the work today. Continued with the light details on the metal and added her left side "cape" (Still not sure If I'll keep it, its not finished and it'll have light effects attached to the fabric, If i dont like it when Im done with it, ill just remove it) 
  • Dianaismywife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OOOOOOOOOOOMG  <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3
    I FUUCKING LOVE THIS 
    CANT WAIT TILL YOU FINISH HER FACE AND PUT THE PROJECT SYMBOL ON HER FORHEAD

Wgen this is complete and finished it will be my new wallpaper 
    <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon

Diana is done, Now on to the shield, the floor, the background and vfx :)
  • Dianaismywife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
  • DanRobinett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanRobinett triangle
    Can't wait to see it finished! Good luck! 
  • EraiViolett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EraiViolett polygon
    Here's the finished version and a closeup! Hope you like it, thanks for all the feedback and support you guys gave me throughout :D 
  • Mego
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mego triangle
    looks really good!! Good luck :)
  • yararstss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    This is soooo cool, buddy! Loved it with all my heart hahaha Congrats!
  • Supradip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Supradip polygon
    This really great, congrats ! :)
  • Ani_2017
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ani_2017 polygon