Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Animation

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Keith Thompson

BanditoKeitho
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
BanditoKeitho vertex
My work in progress thread for the competition. 

These are the characters I will be using for the my animation. I'll be using Ray, courtesy of CGTarian Online School, as well as the Deep Sea Creature from Truong CG. My intention is to have Ray ride/surf the creature for my locomotion and to have a recall animation with a plan for an ult attack as a backup. 

I'll upload progress videos as I can and look forward to any feedback anyone can offer. Thanks!

Post Christmas Changes:

Over Christmas break I considered how things were coming along, and realized that things were not going the way I wanted. For this reason, I decided to change my animation idea away from the original listed above. I simplified it a bit, and made it so that Ray will now just use a Surfboard to get around and I decided to do a recall for my second animation.

Replies

• BanditoKeitho
    Here are a few progress gifs of my animation so far. I need to make the timing more snappy and it was suggested that I lead with the head more, so I'm going to play around with that a bit more as well.

Front:

3/4:

I'm still working on getting Ray to stand on his back/sides properly, but I want to get the primary motion working first. I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks. Thanks!
  • BanditoKeitho
    I continued to work on this more last night. I took out 4 frames to make it a little snappier, and I added some additional breakdowns. I also adjusted spacing on the head so that it feels more like it is leading the action. 

Front:

3/4:

I have to fix the pop that happens at the end of the loop, and the tail and body still need a good bit of work before I move on to getting Ray to stand on top of him the way I want. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
  • BanditoKeitho
    Ray Locomotion: 

The first thing I started working on when I got back from break was my locomotion. I decided I wanted Ray to ride a surfboard and went through several iterations before getting what I have currently. It certainly isn't perfect, and could use a lot more polish, but unfortunately with where I am on the recall, I think I will need to focus on that one until the deadline. I would appreciate any feedback, as I plan to revisit this after the contest, and if anyone has feedback that they think I should work on before submitting please let me know.

Note: I noticed watching this today that I may have set the wrong range for the playblast, so there is a hitch at the end of the loop.

SyncSketch Link:
    https://syncsketch.com/sketch/5d749778f1ca/#324385

Ray Recall: 

I started working on this last week. It's still early and I hope to get some feedback to make improvements, as I'll be working on this everyday until final submission. 

SyncSketch Link: 
    https://syncsketch.com/sketch/41cf4052ff54/#324388
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    @BanditoKeitho I'd love take a look, but the Syncsketch links are private.
  • BanditoKeitho
    @AnthonyAnimation Sorry about that, everything should be good now.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Cool idea! Game cam is really important so be sure to look at the 3/4 perspective. 

For the locomotion watch the spacing and the loop. Right now he's moving slow to the left and quick to the right. There's lots of arcs to track here- especially in the board itself. The motion might be a bit wide (if it were to be implemented in-game) it's really up to you if that's something you want to worry about or not.

Recall- you may consider putting the board in the ground at an angle. That will allow the motion of slamming it down to flow through into the settle. My hand is a little out of commission at the moment, but I did my best to draw in syncsketch.
  • BanditoKeitho
    Thank you for the feedback! I'll try to make another pass on the arcs for the locomotion as well as look at making adjustments for the timing on the overall movement between today and tomorrow and I'll be sure to check the arc and angle for the path of the board.
  • BanditoKeitho
    I had fun while working on this competition and I learned a lot along the way as well. I'll add SyncSketch links here of my final submissions. Thanks for any feedback and I wish everyone the best of luck!

Locomotion:
    https://syncsketch.com/sketch/5d749778f1ca/#324385

Ult: (I ended up adjusting the Recall into an Ult due to time constraints.)
    https://syncsketch.com/sketch/41cf4052ff54/#324388