Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - VFX

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - ifurkend

null
Offline / Send Message
ifurkend null
Hi I am ifurkend, aka Thomas Lee. I will be using Unity for rendering my submission. I am still proposing ideas to be designed into projectile effects. For my "Stylized" submission, I imagine I am designing effects for a brand new LoL champion with very different attributes to the existing ones. Still my starting point would be something like in the recent installments of Deus Ex or Dreamfall Chapters (Stark side).

Replies

• ifurkend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ifurkend null
    My life changed a lot recently, which affected my thoughts on my entry of this contest. I studied music before so I instead incorporate musical score in my effect. Musical score has some strict notation rules for readability, but for a visual effect it needs dynamics, hence the score lines flow like ribbons. I am grateful that the Unity effect team implemented this ribbon feature in the recent build of 2017.3.

The initial projectiles are led by treble and bass clefs. Originally I included the alto and tenor clefs led projectiles for a complete SATB formation, but it ended up too busy hence those were scrapped. The double 16th note particles are given some effort in shader for a "hopping" motion. The 3D 8th note, god light and the last explosion sphere use a very straightforward flow-map aka UV distortion for another watery/caustic effect. All because this effect is for a moderate piece of music but still has its climatic moment at the end.

I also imposed a self-restriction to not use a single traditional sparkle particle. I know it sounds totally stupid and unnecessary. I may be just a bit tired of adding sparkles in nearly every single effect of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sM7qmdGCDg
  • SilverYuan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SilverYuan polycounter lvl 2
    Great dynamics, look forward to it
  • ifurkend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ifurkend null
    I understand to some it doesn't sound very wise to submit this entry as is. There are numerous reasons behind this decision, but one that would be more rational is that I want to stick to the "less is more" mantra/principle. I still appreciate other contestants for their maximalist approach, it's just personal choice of direction.

Anyway, here is the real-time Windows EXE demo of my entry, it's not in my submission because the guideline only requires videos and 1 screenshot, but my entry does suffer video compression. I should have used Unity's Recorder for lossless video capture, but it's too late to fix that now.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CyFYx5IcFPAQXy0km7xwAIM7P1HYklDE