Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - VFX

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Etienne POV

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pop2corn polycounter lvl 2
Hi, 

A bit late but I was not sure if I would participate at first.

I am going to do a projectile that hit sphere B.
My theme will be Star guardian.
  • FINAL Version - SSS

• WIP 05 - Timing and debuff change

• WIP 04 - Debuff and impact

• WIP 03 - Overall pattern + initialisation spell
  • WIP 02 - Projectile : Star Spear
  • WIP 01 - Hit part

Replies

• Kassyndra
    Offline / Send Message
    Kassyndra triangle
    Just an impact and it's shaping up to be one great piece of work! Cannot wait to see more!
  • Pop2corn
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for your kind comments !
    Hope I will be in time, I had a lot of work lately, it's hard to focus on this effect.

I did the 3D of the projectile, not textured yet but will do later if there's time for.

WIP 02 - Projectile : Star Spear

I will tweak more motion on it maybe, I have to do the initialisation before the summoning of the spear also and I haven't thinking of a good transition to it atm
  • Kassyndra
    Offline / Send Message
    Kassyndra triangle
    I think this is the proper cast animation and don't really need to do anything more. But if you insist, how about a magic circle that closes in and move outward , summoning the spear along the way from the back to the tip. Or maybe the spear 'astral' form forms as it is, then some star falls on it and it materializes? 
  • SilverYuan
    Offline / Send Message
    SilverYuan polycounter lvl 2
    I love this style, give me a feeling of a girl, the dissolution of the arrow is very comfortable, expect the finished product
  • UndeadMeddler
    I really like the look of this so far! I especially like the squash and stretch you do with the spear when it takes off. My only thought would be to add a little bit of a push back before the stretch in preparation to launch. Other than that, very good work so far.
  • Pop2corn
    Offline / Send Message
    @UndeadMeddler I tried the idea of the push back but it was not that great :/ Thanks anyway for the suggestion !

WIP 04 - Debuff and impact

- added the poison debuff ( I chose poison to distinguish easily the debuff thanks to his color)
    - upgrade of the spear lens
    - impact shader

Some friends told me the timing was too long. Plus, nobody understand the debuff transfer. So I have to chose a debuff that fit more the color palette I'm using.

WIP 05 - Timing and debuff change

- So I changed the debuff to fit the star guardian theme and it applies only on sphere B this time.
    - Tweak of the overall timing.
    - Deleted the 5 stars trails at the begning sadly >_<

I had another feedback that the charm debuff fit more heartseeker theme than star guardian, so I will try another tweak.
    I'll make a stun debuff with stars and trails to fit more the star guardian theme I guess.
  • UndeadMeddler
    Hey no worries, glad you gave it a try and it is perfectly fine to stick with your idea! It is still looking very good!
  • Kassyndra
    Offline / Send Message
    Kassyndra triangle
    I like the charm one actually.
  • Nalmoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Nalmoth null
    Looks amazing ! Maybe the arrow is rotating a bit slowly at the start, but overall it's so beautiful, great job ^^
  • ibanez_cc
    Whoa! The animation on the arrow is so good!
  • Yvette
    Offline / Send Message
    Yvette null
    I really like your style! It's so cute and satisfying!
  • Pop2corn
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kassyndra Lots of friends liked the charm too, but I really wanted to avoid the hearseeker theme haha. Now with the climax added, the stun fits the best imo, let me know what you think :smile:

@Nalmoth I've already tried a faster rotating timing but it bringed chaos on the averall animation trust me^^"
    That's why I set the timing along with the star ribbons so everything follow the right flow before the launch.

The SSS effect is done ! ( Stunning Star Spear effect )
    I'm soooo exhausted but I'm very glad I made it in time ! I regret I couln't texture the spear though...

For the final version I added many elements to fit the star guardian theme and polish the overall effect with stars particle, stars ribbons, stars godray, 3d star explosion, and many other stars stuff haha.
    The main focus was the climax here.
    It was a good exercice to balance the climax with not many elements, but still have a readable and impactful effect.

FINAL Version - SSS

Thank you everyone and keep up the great work; I saw many talented and interesting project on this event !
  • Nalmoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Nalmoth null
    @Pop2corn Oh okay ! Tbh, you project is very stunning (lol) and fits perfectly with the Riot style. Great job :blush:
  • Yanni
    Offline / Send Message
    Yanni polycounter lvl 6
    There is a very nice softness in your colours and glows that I really like. Well done, great quality effect! Best of luck!
  • SilverYuan
    Offline / Send Message
    SilverYuan polycounter lvl 2
    @Pop2corn  I think this can go into the top three
  • parag
    Offline / Send Message
    parag polycounter lvl 4
    Oh I loved it . <3
  • Pop2corn
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nalmoth Thanks for the kind comment haha! :blush:

@Yanni Thank you ! I did a lot of color and intensity tweaking on each material and each particle system at the end so the overall effect can looks homogenous ^-^

@SilverYuan Oh thanks ! I think the same for you, your work is awesome and can go to the top three too !

@parag I'm glad you love it !