Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Animation

[Riot Creative Contest 2017] - Ryan White

Ryan_Anim
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Ryan_Anim vertex
Hi all,

This is my idea for the animation contest. Finally getting round to posting it.

My idea is based around Skating Derbies, and the character will be a Blocker of a derby team

Character will be a confident skater and strong in order to be able to stop opponents easily.

I'm using the Mathilda Rig, link below.

http://www.cgmeetup.net/forums/files/file/59-mathilda-rig/

So far I'm splining the walk cycle for the character 

Walkcycleroller GIF

The Idea is that she would have a few cycles based on whether she's in lane chasing characters or either assisted or takedown an enemy champion.

Rollerbackwards GIF

The Ultimate will be a large wind up with her shooting forward. Only just started with this. 

Replies

• Arramil
    Offline / Send Message
    Arramil node
    Very nice!  I'm liking the feel of the movement cycle so far, especially the weight of the character's arms as they swing.

I feel like her head is a little static - it looks like it moves a lot from side to side without much in the way of a bob.  Could be a good way to add a bit of texture to the animation if she looked around at her surroundings a bit instead of just straight ahead.  Depending on how fast she's meant to be going, you might tip her torso forward a bit too (harder to tell looking straight at her).

Love the idea of adding roller derby into League!
  • Ryan_Anim
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_Anim vertex
    Hey Arramil,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll certainly get it in there both the deadline

Just wanted to share what I've been working on over the last couple of weeks,

I've added another walk cycle. The idea behind this would be for her trait, she skates quicker when near friendly or energy champions, allowing her to manoeuvre around enemies and block, stun and push them back towards her own team. I need to tidy up the arms, as I haven't touched these yet.

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

• Ryan_Anim
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_Anim vertex
    I've also been working on her Ultimate attack. I wanted her to burst forward and stun an enemy champion. However, I wanted a big anticipation so that both her team and the enemy team know that it's incoming. 

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

Animated GIF

I just need to find a way to get her back into idle at the end. There's sight scaling at the top of her jump and with the hit, just to make her bigger and to communicate the attack is incoming. I would like to do a version where she misses, but I'll have to see what I can get done by next week.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Really cool idea! On the ult I'd recommend having the legs move out a lot more, right now it looks like a run. Maybe taking a look at Lucio's animations from Overwatch would help?

For the attack frame- I think it would feel better if she started the antic midway through the translation and as she reached the end POW that's when the hit happens. Right now the momentum is stopping and then the attack is happening, it feels like two unrelated actions.
  • Ryan_Anim
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan_Anim vertex
    Thanks Anthony,

Really like the idea for pushing the hit to part way through the attack.

The ult was supposed is supposed to have the champion running on the stopper parts of her skates, before jumping into a skate. Its run, run skate, if that makes any sense. It's why it looks like that.