Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

[Riot Art Contest 2017] Forest Guardians : Elderwood Rakan and Xayah (FINAL)

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
RedSinistra polygon

Rakan: Hey! I Ain't gonna kill ya, she is!
Xayah: Nice yo unmeet you.

Hello everyone! It's my first time participating in this contest and I'm really exited. Main Support here : D  

I was thinking yo make a skin for Thresh, but all of the sudden an idea came to my mind: "Hades and Persefone's" Myth. By that time I was playing Rakan, a lot, because he was soooo dynamic and funny to play. Obviously, the love between Xayah and Rakan is not that twisted. So, decided to make a skin for them both: Two Forest Spirits who protect the balance and the natural cycle of life and death, bloom and decay. 
Rakan, as a battle-dancer, wild lover would be something related to "life" and blossom, as he is really protective with Xayah; shields and heals her. A natural care-taker.
Xayah on the other hand, is the one who takes action. Always prepared and self-confident, she doesn't hesitate: If she has to take a life to preserve the balance, she will. The one who ends the cycle, but the one who let it flow and restart. 
As the human kind always do whatever they want, altering the cicle of nature itself for their  purposes, these two spirits would stop that and restore nature as it is, wild and untameable (like their actual lore with "magic" and etc..)

Sooo. Let's beggin shall we? 

Note: In game there are plenty of "Themes" that could match this ideas, such as Elderwood, Deathblossom, even "Hauted Zyra" came to my mind. I don't know if the concept will go  in that direction, so I won't name their skins yet. Certainly I'll have all of that themes as a reference. 

Ok, my post dissapeared soooo, I'm re-writting / reposting aaaall the process and stuff. (18/11/2017) -- Restored, Thank you! (19/11/17)

Finished! : )

Thanks to everyone who came to this post and gave some tips, feedback etc... That helped a lot !. This has helped me to learn new things and improve my coloring skills (a little bit).

Replies

• RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Basic explanation. Rakan and Xayah would be Forest Spirits for this skins: Rakan representing "the one who gives life", blossom and spring, but also the wildness of nature. Xayah would be the opposite, "the one who takes life", autumn and winter, decay and death, also a part of the cycle of renovation.

Update 18/01/2017 (Final Concept for them both)

(Loading Screen Preview)

• RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon

References:

First we have Rakan, the Battle Dancer. A lot of his features , abilities and qualities sugested me something swift, something bright, something unpredictable. But, he is very, VERY protective with Xayah, like the mother nature itself (a caretaker), soo I'll be trying to transform him into a Forest Spirit (similar to "Elderwood Skins? Maybe).

Rakan Studies:

Rakan Moodboard / References:
    Leafy , swift, colorful and playful. [Color Palette] : Yellow / Green / Vermilion / Orange?]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second we have Xayah, the Rebel. She is the darkest of that two.  Cunning , silent and focused, Xayah has a strong will, an a cause to fight for. Humans always tried to tame the Nature, she will prove them wrong.

Xayah would be the opposite of Rakan (The one who gives life). she would be incarnation of decay and death, the one who precedes rebirth of Nature ( like Autumn / Winter kind of feeling).

Xayah Studies:

Xayah Moodboard / References: 
    Stealth, foggy, thorns, darker colours, Nature Decay, Cunning. [Color Pallete]: Dark Brown, Dark Blue(s), White / Grey, maybe some fade Red.

• RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon

Rakan Concept and Process:

Trying to get that Blosssom / Decay look for both characters. First Impressions.

Rakan Early Concepts: 

Six options I had in mind. I just tryied some colors on them, but not definitive of course.
    • [A] Rainforest Bloossom (??) Just for fun applied the color palette I had in mind. 
    • [B] Rainforest Wanderer  (half rainforest-spirit and inhabitant)
    • [C] Nature Guardian  A guardian of Ionian Woods.
    • [D] Elderwood Rakan V1  : I took plenty of references of the actual Elderwood Skins to do this one. A bag of seeds and stag legs, yeh.
    • [E] Elderwood Rakan V2 : Just a second variation, with different elements and other color palette just for fun , less "leafy" than the first one, with more mushrooms. (Tiger Plant)
    • [F] Treespirit Rakan (?) : Simplified version of an "actual forest spirit". Based on "Elderwood" as well.

Concept Art V.2 : Rakan

Did some polls and asked some people, the options prefered by the fans and fellow artist were C, D and F. So I combined some traits of each design and came up with this three options and some minor variations, such as legs and hairstyle.

Color Variations: Elderwood Rakan
    Ok this are the 6 options I made for Rakan so far. E and F are version of the previous options (trying to make them more interesting adding more color tones).

FINAL CONCEPT: 

Final Concept with the color palette. 

• RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon

Xayah Concept and Process:

Base to start: 

------------------------------------------

Xayah Early Concepts:

Ok here we have Xayah. These options are designed to match Rakan's skin, but also to be somewhat, the opposite (less flashy, autumn/winter themed). The color palette may change. 
    I think the hood always will suit her, but I tried some variations without it, just to give her another look. 

Concept Art V.2 : Xayah

Took A as a base, D , E  and F for little details etc. Still thinking about doing her without the hood , OR , that it can be removable like in "nighthunter Rengar Skin". I may add some "thorns" details to these variations (like in C, below). And yes the color palettes are on the way. c:

Color Variations: Elderwood Xayah

Update 1 : Four color variations trying to get the best ones and comparing it to her partner. Dark Blues, Gray, Dark red, lilac and faint purples where my main focus on here. 

Color Variations: Elderwood Xayah
    More Versions. Did this with some opinions and feedback of the previous ones. Even tried one more "wintery" look.

FINAL CONCEPT: 

Final Concept with the color palette. 

• RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon

Splash Art (Process): Elderwood Xayah and Rakan:

Updating this soon with the previous Thumbnails(*

-----------------------------------------
    Preview: 
    [+] Update 28/12/17

[+] Update 13/1/17

[+] Update 15/1/17

[+] Update 19/1/17

[+] Update 22/1/17

[+] Update 25/1/17

• osvaldo_pasillas
    Love this concept!! keep it up!
  • Rataskor
    Offline / Send Message
    Rataskor null
    I really love the concept and think it fits these two really well!

Good luck, I can't wait to see Xayahs look  :)
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Ooook more samples for Rakan :)Final Concept Batch Above !! (colors can change)

• skullkid99
    Offline / Send Message
    skullkid99 vertex
    really amazing work!! can't wait to see xayah
  • Gerva
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerva triangle
    Really good work!! i love the D version :smiley:
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    First Impression of Xayah (Early Concept) (Updated)

• kuhleesee
    Offline / Send Message
    kuhleesee polycounter lvl 3
    i really like these designs!
  • yararstss
    Offline / Send Message
    yararstss polycounter lvl 6
    LOL, your colors and design are amazing! So many ideas. Congrats, friend.
  • skullkid99
    Offline / Send Message
    skullkid99 vertex
    really love the colors if xayah
  • Amaranthine
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaranthine polycounter lvl 4
    First Impression of Xayah (Early Concept)

This is gorgeous! May I suggest the feathers on her cape turning black at the very end to simulate wilting and tie into her outfit slightly more! I love this <3
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon

Looks really good. I'd pref the second one except for the head which I think the first one would look better. The second head looks abit more like an Elderwood Shyvana tbh and thereby has some clarity issues. Also I'd rethink your color choice cuz she already has something with blue feathers. Apart of that really nice work! 
  • skullkid99
    Offline / Send Message
    skullkid99 vertex
    DawnHeart said:

Looks really good. I'd pref the second one except for the head which I think the first one would look better. The second head looks abit more like an Elderwood Shyvana tbh and thereby has some clarity issues. Also I'd rethink your color choice cuz she already has something with blue feathers. Apart of that really nice work! 
      I completely agree
  • osvaldo_pasillas
    Love Xayah! really great vibes!
  • Jacobtm92
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacobtm92 polycounter lvl 3
    Damn these concepts are fantastic! Can't wait to see the splash!
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    @skullkid99 @DawnHeart Thank you! I definitely will try that. I still have to do more variations for xayah (currently working on Rakan definitive look for his skin) but I'll rethink the entire color palette for her.
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    OOOOk new concepts for rakan, these are more refined designs. What do you think? Which one you would use as a base? Any suggestions? :) (Final image above )

• DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    OOOOk new concepts for rakan, these are more refined designs. What do you think? Which one you would use as a base? Any suggestions? :) (Final image above )

Looks nice. I think A is the best to represent Elderwood tho I'd bring in some lighter colors too as it seems very dark compared to C for example. ALso I'd take the "hair" of C and Ears too. But its looking really cool :)
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Some color variations for Rakan, before the final concept (there will be more)

• Katya_Cyan
    Offline / Send Message
    Katya_Cyan polygon
    I think  B looks more interesting ^-^
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    New update on Rakan color palette ! :D  Suggestions and feedback appreciated

• Joric
    Offline / Send Message
    Joric triangle
    I love all the concept art work you are doing. I like A and C since they are using different colors from the main Rakan palette. Also the green make them feel really foresty. But I would be careful since it may be too close to the summoners rift color. Cant wait to see more of Xayah!
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    C is defo my favorite from these Rakan concepts!
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Still not sure which color palette would be the definitive for Rakan, but I made the "in game" preview for the skin in grey-scale. 

@Joric Yeah you're right, I like C option too but .... dunno, I have to make sure it doesn't mix up with the river / jungle colors. Thanks! 
    @DawnHeart I want to use it as a base palette soooo bad, but it lacks something and I don't know what. I'll keep working on it, Thank you :D

• MaoAkari
    Offline / Send Message
    MaoAkari polycounter lvl 3
    awesome!
    i like f,d most
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Still not sure which color palette would be the definitive for Rakan, but I made the "in game" preview for the skin in grey-scale. 

@Joric Yeah you're right, I like C option too but .... dunno, I have to make sure it doesn't mix up with the river / jungle colors. Thanks! 
    @DawnHeart I want to use it as a base palette soooo bad, but it lacks something and I don't know what. I'll keep working on it, Thank you :D

looks really really good.
    Dont worry with a nice model like this you cant do too much wrong. Maybe use other colors but keep the "glow" as thats it what makes C so amazing. Btw what are those things on his ears? Leaf earrings? Can you try to put them away once (like pre - after comparison) as thats kind of disturbing me. But I really like the the rest especially the hair with those leafs falling down :D Could be like Blackthorn Morgana when she walks there are leafs falling from her wings too (btw if you cant decide for what colors u could also go deep red(dark) and brown and make them Black Thorn I just realized)
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    DawnHeart said:

looks really really good.
    Dont worry with a nice model like this you cant do too much wrong. Maybe use other colors but keep the "glow" as thats it what makes C so amazing. Btw what are those things on his ears? Leaf earrings? Can you try to put them away once (like pre - after comparison) as thats kind of disturbing me. But I really like the the rest especially the hair with those leafs falling down :D Could be like Blackthorn Morgana when she walks there are leafs falling from her wings too (btw if you cant decide for what colors u could also go deep red(dark) and brown and make them Black Thorn I just realized)
    They are like ... pff I don't know exacly, side leaves / part of de hair, made to "complete his face" buut yeah...  I'll leave you the comparison down here. For the hair I took inspiration from "Elderwood Hecarim"'s mane, and yes, I though it would have that "falling leaves" effect, in the final color version it would be more perceptible.  I was thinking of using that color palette, but maybe It will suit Xayah better (since she represent "autumn and winter, decay and stuff". 
    Thanks a lot for your feedback really :D

• RockaFella
    Offline / Send Message
    RockaFella triangle
    They look like sideburns to me, part of his hair, right? I like them, personally.  :)
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Tbh I think it looks much better without those leafy sideburns (lets call them like that) as he's very young and a bit edgy and stuff (atleast in the language I play the game he seems to be a super young and cheeky guy and these sideburns kinda make him a bit too wise/patient (my feeling its still your art you decide :D
    Regarding colors: I mean your idea of that green and virbrand green mix is amazing I love it but you said it lacks something so I thought you want to change it :D for me its perfect the way you put it up there. but In case you still feel it lacks something I'd go with blackthorn / autumn colors for both and maybe make the skins in contrast of their lore/cinematic where they protect the forest. Now they want to corrupt the forest or something like that. As said its just plan B if you still think green is not that good :DDDD
    Still loving your art as and cant wait for your Xayah (I love these 2 champs rly *-*)
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Going live on Twitch :D 6PM (GMT+1)
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Sketch of the final Splashart :D Thanks to all who showed up to the stream!º

• RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    UPDATE - 19 / 12 / 2017 - Early Concepts for Elderwood Xayah :D , THE COLOR PALETTE MAY CHANGE. 

• DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    UPDATE - 19 / 12 / 2017 - Early Concepts for Elderwood Xayah :D , THE COLOR PALETTE MAY CHANGE. 

Not a big fan of the color still (as she only has 1 skin and that skin has blue in it :/) but I totally love F!!!!!! D is ok too but F *-*
    F is totally heaven and I'd go with that. Without the hoodie you can see the amazing leaf-hair even short hair would look good :o 
    how about going purple instead of blue? (b is a bit purple a bit I'd say that direction but a more vibrant/pinkish one look at Elderwood bard to get what I mean)
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    DawnHeart said:

Not a big fan of the color still (as she only has 1 skin and that skin has blue in it :/) but I totally love F!!!!!! D is ok too but F *-*
    F is totally heaven and I'd go with that. Without the hoodie you can see the amazing leaf-hair even short hair would look good :o 
    how about going purple instead of blue? (b is a bit purple a bit I'd say that direction but a more vibrant/pinkish one look at Elderwood bard to get what I mean)
    Thank you so much! Really thinking about the hood as something removable (like in nighthunter rengar skin). So yes, maaaybe I'll try two variations (one with the hood). And definitely I'll try to think color palette around "fade purple" or something like that. :D
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    ELDERWOOD XAYAH UPDATE - 27 / 12 / 2017
    Ok a little update of Xayah. Happy Holidays everyone! :D

• DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Look really really nice! I love A and C. Maaaaan I really thinkthat short hair in the back could rock on her too! Cant decide tho.
    I love the hair on A (the little bit on the left looks sooo nice!) but C is also nice *-* sooo hard to decide good luck with that xD
    Happy holidays too x3
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Live on Twitch working on the splashart :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

• SpiritHide
    Offline / Send Message
    SpiritHide polygon
    Looks really good! Like the idea and  overall atmosphere! 
  • itstimetohosh
    The colors are so brilliant, i love it! :smile:
  • Mariah22
    Offline / Send Message
    Mariah22 triangle
    Really like your job!
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Update 05/01/2017
    Some Xayah Color variations :D

• Auwren
    Offline / Send Message
    Auwren triangle
    This is super inspiring for me! Great work!

I really like the values for C in your latest post. The light hair helps her face stand out a little better against the dark hood. I also think that the brightness of the symbol on her skirt and the subtlety of the rest of the skirt really helps to keep the design from looking too crowded.

Its great watching this one develop! Favoriting this for sure.
  • DawnHeart
    Offline / Send Message
    DawnHeart polygon
    Update 05/01/2017
    Some Xayah Color variations :D

I totally love D *-* C is nice too but D is defo my favorite. Idk it just looks incredible with these colors especially the hair <3
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Quick Update ! Ingame Rakan  (still needs some rendering but almost done :D)
  • Ly Hao Nguyen
    Offline / Send Message
    Ly Hao Nguyen polycounter lvl 3
    I really like the concept and color choice. Keep up the good work :smiley:
  • RedSinistra
    Offline / Send Message
    RedSinistra polygon
    Someone posted this on subreddit and daamn, the feedback guys. Really glad everyone likes this two skins. Ty <3 (i'm reading all the feedback in there an taking notes!)
    https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/7pja4l/amazing_elderwood_xayah_rakan_concept_art_by/

New Update (Final update I hope :D)

Did this during the last stream .