Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Creative Contest 2017 Riot Creative Contest 2017 - Illustration

Ziggs' lost bomb! Spearman247 WIP

Spearman247
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Spearman247 vertex
Hey all! Ok, in the correct place now!
Ok so I have some thumbnails here, and one rough sketch. Let me know what you think of the thumbs, but I think I might re think the thumbnails, since I would like more of a focus on storytelling.
Here are the thumbnails:

And here is the first rough sketch:

Comments and critique are always welcome from you guys! Good luck, and happy drawing!!

Replies

• Spearman247
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spearman247 vertex
    Hey all! So I decided I didn't have enough story telling in the thumbnails. So I decided to do a few more sketches, and here is what I came up with. All the champions will be in their original skins, to be less complex. I based these on lore and champion interactions under in game info (where it says friends and rivals).
    I haven't decided one yet, but I'm leaning towards the top left, bottom left and bottom right.

Feel free to chime in to which one! I will officially name this post once I've decided!

Good luck, and happy drawing!!
  • Spearman247
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spearman247 vertex
    Hey all!! So ive decided that for THIS thread Im going to do the bottom left illustration. So its Ziggs, looking for a new bomb he created.... which happens to be lit. I have been working on the environment he will be in: his study at the Yordle Acadamy, since according to his Bio, he became Dean of Explosives. I wanted to capture the cheerful atmosphere of a Yordle Acadamy in Piltover, however I think I need to make his study more messy and chaotic. Since its Ziggs. I went with a cheerful atmosphere because in all the stories I read about Piltover and Zaun, there is an underlying theme of hope. I wanted to show that hope, as well as the vibrant energy of the thousands of people living out their lives in the two cities.
    here is my progress so far!

Again, waaay far away from being finished, but Im trying a new approach to painting this one, and i think its working out for me.
    Also, Im working on another entry starring Blitzcrank. I might post that one too, but I'll have to re read the rules to make sure Im not mistaken.

C&C are always welcome! Thanks guys!

Good luck, and happy painting!!
  • Spearman247
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spearman247 vertex
    Hey all!
    Well, here is a WIP of the Ziggs painting.  Since this is going to be a story driven painting, I want to make sure to nail the environment! I got some feedback on the lighting from my dad who happens to be an artist as well, so I made sure to add all the new changes. I also tried to clutter up the workshop a bit more, but im not done adding clutter yet!

here is the room:

and here is the room with Ziggs in it:

he is still really rough, but im happy with the overall result! A little ambient occlusion on ziggs, maybe increase his size a little, and then add a cast shadow from him, and I think he will fit in fine!
    As always, C&C are more than welcome!

Happy painting guys!
  • Spearman247
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spearman247 vertex
    Hey all! Well I guess I forgot to post my WIP from last night, well here it is!

• Spearman247
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spearman247 vertex
    Hey all!! Well, this is what I got done today! The lit fuse is now in the bomb, though its REALLY rough. I also played with the light color, putting a warm orange in the midtones and highlights, and putting blues in the shadows. Other than that, I have a LONG way to go, but Im linking this piece so far!
    As always C&C are welcome!

Happy painting!
  • Spearman247
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spearman247 vertex
    Hey all!!! Here is an update of the image! I think Im slowly closing in on it! Let me all know what you think!

As always, Critique and Comments are always welcome!

Happy painting!
  • Spearman247
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spearman247 vertex
    Hey all!!!
    So i feel like I made a breakthrough or two as an artist during this competition! I was listening to an interview Bobby Chiu was doing on Chiustream, and the artist he was interviewing (Wouter Tulp) talked about how in an amateur artist's painting, every aspect of the painting is so rendered and detailed, the painting becomes stiff. He recommended that artists place more rendering on the focal point(s) of the painting and less on the rest of the painting. He even suggested to go so far as to leave some parts of the painting unfinished! I noticed a lot of other people in this contest, and also the illustrators who work for Riot doing the same thing, even putting blur effects on the background. I trued to pull these things into my painting. I figured out that I was unhappy with the way the bomb in the foreground looked, and I figured out that it was because there was no surface texture on it! So I looked at some reference of cannon balls online, pulled some of my own reference textures into the painting, then re painted over them to give it an iron-like texture. I have to say, Im pretty happy with the results! I still have a bit to go on it, but I feel like Im getting really close to finishing it!
    Here's that Chiustrem if you want to check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3FkaDfeww&t=2144s

Here's the image!