Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Portrait

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MickeyG polycounter lvl 6
My latest work and first somewhat successful attempt at a realistic human. Modeled in Maya and Mudbox, I used texturing xyz maps for fine detail, and xgen for hair. I rendered in Arnold 5. There are definitely some things I would do differently if I were to do a second pass, but it's taken enough time already and it's way better than previous attempts so I'll leave it as is. For my next "realistic" human I'm going to try to make it game ready and real-time renders. Still would love any critiques or tips to improve so I can do better on my next attempt! Thanks!

Not sure if it's possible to embed videos here, but you can see the turntable animation of this HERE

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What resources/references did you use for the pores/skin surface noise?
  • MickeyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used texturing xyz maps found here https://texturing.xyz/. In mudbox I projected them using this method https://texturing.xyz/pages/peter-zoppi-devgru-head-making-of. It was my first project using them, but it was tricky not having visible seams. It's an amazing resource and totally worth the cost. I was really pleasantly surprised with the results.
  • Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Ok this seems pretty nice good job!!. I dont know what is on your mind that you want to do better next time, what I can suggest is try to make a sss material for the skin and the eyes!!
  • MickeyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Larry,
    well the painting of the texture was a bit new to me and getting the tones to look right in the ear never quite worked out so i added some depth of field to hide it :) 
    Also the tearline would get messed up and have shadows sometimes. I think it was a render/material problem but still don't know. need to experiment with that. 
    The hair was pretty tricky too, and I feel I could have done a better job. A lot of my mistakes were workflow ones, too. I spent way too much time on this piece,  so working smarter next time. I do have some SSS but it was my first time so i wasn't sure what levels to use.

Glad it looks good. After looking at it for so long while making it it can be hard to step back and see the whole picture.
  • Larry
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    It does look goodbut something feels quite off. If you manage to find and fix it, you will be making realistic humans which we.would not be able to tell the difference. Also something to keep in mind, people tend to go with more vibrant colors in the objects whereas realistic models are more saturated! ;) 
  • MickeyG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i think it probably has to do with the colors. It's tricky to tell what it needs. Definitely some things to try for next time. Thanks for your help!