Home Technical Talk

(Solved) How to make 2x1 (2048x1024) texture ?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Lestat polycounter lvl 2

Hi

Sorry for maybe dumb question, but I really need help

I googled and it didn’t find enough info about the problem

My workflow - Maya, UVLayout, xNormal, Substance Painter, Marmoset

I nave art test task with requirement to make 2048x1024 for Marmoset Render in final, for now it seems all my workflow programs correctly work only with square textures, and there is UDIM which set of separate textures

I am overcomplicating things and I have to fill half of 2x2 texture or I something missing ?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Different apps handle this differently, the sort of brute force way to do this which will work in any app is to lay out your uvs in 1/2 of the 0-1 space, and then scale 200% on one axis to fill out the space. Or lay out in 0-1,0-2, and scale by 50%.

Some apps have a way to set the aspect ratio of the UV map so you don't have to do this scaling step.
  • Lestat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lestat polycounter lvl 2
    EarthQuake
    Thanks for reply !

I experimented through all my workflow and went to understanding that thing that matters is the end app (originally its proprietary engine). 
    with end result in marmoset I will just go with 2x2 filled with upper half and then will make second cut version 2x1 for showcase

I will leave this thread for couple of days, maybe someone have some other info

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    Make your UVs NON-Squared (1:2 oder 2:1). After laying out your NON-Squared UVs, stretch the NON-UV Layout to full 0-1 UV Space.
    So that you have stretched UVs.

I import then to Substance Painter and Bake. After exporting your Bakes you can make them in Photoshop 50% in Height or Width and you have your non-stretched non-squared bake done ^^
  • Lestat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lestat polycounter lvl 2
    Gazu 
    Thanks for info ! , now I think I got how it works, will experiment with it.