Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Gryffindor Common Room (FINISHED)

keyframe
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
ahmeduchiha keyframe
My first attempt at UE4 learning phase . 
This is the begining of the creation prosses of the environement . The first assets created . 
this was 35 days ago , im posting all the progress till this day x) hope u like it!

Replies

• ahmeduchiha
  • Chidambhar_Swaroop
    Offline / Send Message
    Chidambhar_Swaroop polycounter lvl 2
    This is amazing ...
  • Klawd
    Offline / Send Message
    Klawd polycounter lvl 7
    Wow, awesome work!
  • sargisstg
    Offline / Send Message
    sargisstg polycounter lvl 6
    Great work. I like it !
  • ahmeduchiha
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmeduchiha keyframe
    Klawd said:
    Wow, awesome work!

sargisstg said:
    Great work. I like it !

This is amazing ...
    thanks alot :smile:
  • mrgesy
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    Camera movements a bit strange but awesome work and great cinematic lighting! Also it would be great if you established a primary shot of the entire scene as the main picture and the video to show everything else in a film way.
  • ahmeduchiha
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmeduchiha keyframe
    aclund3 said:
    Awesome, man! This is a lot of work, well done!!!
    thank you so much :smiley:

• CeriseAsCherry
    Offline / Send Message
    CeriseAsCherry polycounter lvl 2
    Looking good ;) Did you bake your lights with lightmaps or is it a dynamic lighting with full moveable lights ?
  • ahmeduchiha
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmeduchiha keyframe
    with dynamic lighting  , and with lightmaps to the parts that i wanted to be highlited .
  • Nars
    Offline / Send Message
    Nars polycounter lvl 6
    Man I was waiting for something in the Daily Prophet to move :( that touch would have been amazing (like the self steering tea spoon) 
    Everything else looks good.
  • Traumwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Traumwolf vertex
    Looking very good =)
  • ahmeduchiha
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmeduchiha keyframe
    Nars said:
    Man I was waiting for something in the Daily Prophet to move :( that touch would have been amazing (like the self steering tea spoon) 
    Everything else looks good.
    yeah that would have been a nice touch xd

• shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Looks good, I know the title says 'finished' but here are some things i'd maybe consider changing, or keeping in mind for your next one:
    - the super closeup pans of paintings on the wall /w nothing else, and book covers/pages, I wouldnt include these unless you created all the content yourself, (if you did sweet, disregard) its like saying "look at these images I took from Google and mapped to a polygon at subpar resolutions" Especially given there isnt really anything else in the shot. (Timestamp: 0:23+, 0:40+, 1:07+ etc)

The rest of my notes are from images posted on Artstation, not video
    - I think this is the case of too many shots, too many closeups, and too much panning/camera movement.
    - Your goal should be to consider player perspective (if games) or craft the perfect viewing angle and have all the elements in the scene work toward drawing the viewer into your focal point /w pleasing compositional elements. Your lighting and colours, and asset placement all work together, I'd remove all your images, and produce a few shots that you have crafted to be really strong compositions with excellent lighting. 

- The texture on the back wall, it is some kind of fabric imagery? The resolution is super low, If you could remove this, and replace it with some other structural material that makes sense, I think most of your images would look better. But this thing is killing it for me in almost every image. You have a variety of pixel densities across all the objects in the scene, i'd try and bring everything up to 16px/ "+ nowadays

- Id maybe consider your material definition more, and roughness variation - the back cabinet is one flat value of roughness across the entire surface, the highlight has no breaks in it. The satin/velvet looking curtain and sash, the trim on the arm chair, the stone wall in behind /w light and dark variation (think about stone porousness and mineral veins, and dirt/age and how all that would affect the stones roughness. The wooden boards on the ground look like they were just purchased from Costco the other day and installed - where is the consistency in roughness/age to build that story of the castle and history? The fireplace, etc. - everything looks pretty flat /w uniform spec

- if you do closeups on things, ensure those assets are done supremely well. No faceted silhouettes, good normals, material definition is spot on, roughness stories.

-The brick/stone wall material is super flat. Almost looks like the normals are inverted on the right? I'd really push the normals here, so the grooves of this stone are more apparent and you get some strong shadowing from the light source.

- backroom /w chair and bench seems unfinished, a room /w no objects or function, and a miniature door /w no handle. Maybe consider removing this shot on artstation.

- looks like you got some POM or Displacement on the carpet, cool idea! Maybe just refine it so it doesnt feel so chunky/unrealistic

- I think the fringe on that blanket needs a tweak in the mat, or possibly UV2 lightmap errors happening?

Anyways, I know you say its finished, but would be super cool to see you take this to the next level and really make it stand out. Goodluck!
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    This in depth critique is what makes polycount!!!  Great advice @shabba!
  • johnperkins899
    Very nice work. Are you planning to create HP mini-game or just environment?
  • ahmeduchiha
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmeduchiha keyframe
    shabba said:
    Looks good, I know the title says 'finished' but here are some things i'd maybe consider changing, or keeping in mind for your next one:
    - the super closeup pans of paintings on the wall /w nothing else, and book covers/pages, I wouldnt include these unless you created all the content yourself, (if you did sweet, disregard) its like saying "look at these images I took from Google and mapped to a polygon at subpar resolutions" Especially given there isnt really anything else in the shot. (Timestamp: 0:23+, 0:40+, 1:07+ etc)

The rest of my notes are from images posted on Artstation, not video
    - I think this is the case of too many shots, too many closeups, and too much panning/camera movement.
    - Your goal should be to consider player perspective (if games) or craft the perfect viewing angle and have all the elements in the scene work toward drawing the viewer into your focal point /w pleasing compositional elements. Your lighting and colours, and asset placement all work together, I'd remove all your images, and produce a few shots that you have crafted to be really strong compositions with excellent lighting. 

- The texture on the back wall, it is some kind of fabric imagery? The resolution is super low, If you could remove this, and replace it with some other structural material that makes sense, I think most of your images would look better. But this thing is killing it for me in almost every image. You have a variety of pixel densities across all the objects in the scene, i'd try and bring everything up to 16px/ "+ nowadays

- Id maybe consider your material definition more, and roughness variation - the back cabinet is one flat value of roughness across the entire surface, the highlight has no breaks in it. The satin/velvet looking curtain and sash, the trim on the arm chair, the stone wall in behind /w light and dark variation (think about stone porousness and mineral veins, and dirt/age and how all that would affect the stones roughness. The wooden boards on the ground look like they were just purchased from Costco the other day and installed - where is the consistency in roughness/age to build that story of the castle and history? The fireplace, etc. - everything looks pretty flat /w uniform spec

- if you do closeups on things, ensure those assets are done supremely well. No faceted silhouettes, good normals, material definition is spot on, roughness stories.

-The brick/stone wall material is super flat. Almost looks like the normals are inverted on the right? I'd really push the normals here, so the grooves of this stone are more apparent and you get some strong shadowing from the light source.

- backroom /w chair and bench seems unfinished, a room /w no objects or function, and a miniature door /w no handle. Maybe consider removing this shot on artstation.

- looks like you got some POM or Displacement on the carpet, cool idea! Maybe just refine it so it doesnt feel so chunky/unrealistic

- I think the fringe on that blanket needs a tweak in the mat, or possibly UV2 lightmap errors happening?

Anyways, I know you say its finished, but would be super cool to see you take this to the next level and really make it stand out. Goodluck!
    thank you so much for this !! noted i will make sure to make my next project better :D 
  • ahmeduchiha
    Offline / Send Message
    ahmeduchiha keyframe
    Very nice work. Are you planning to create HP mini-game or just environment?
    thank you so much ,i don't know if im going to make a game .