Home Career & Education

University- I want to become a 3D modeller, not an animator.

sophiam
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
sophiam vertex
Hi, I'm a highschool student and I'm trying to go to an art college/university. However, all they have are Animation courses which Isn't what I want to do. I want to be a 3D modeller/sculptor. Do I need to take a bachelor's degree of animation if I want to become a 3D modeller? Or is learning the programs with short courses & a good portfolio enough to get me a stable job? 

Also, this is what i am working on

++ I learned 3Ds Max/ Zbrush online and on youtube

Replies

• Barbarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbarian polycounter lvl 12
    " Do I need to take a bachelor's degree of animation if I want to become a 3D modeller?"
    No.
    Sign up for Pluaralsight and/or Gnomon Workshop for a couple of months and/or get  some eat3D DVDs and review some basic game modelling tutorials. Practice. Submit screenshots with wireframes. Get feedback. Rinse and repeat. Find reference for more complex objects. Submit screenshots with wireframes. Get feedback. . . .
    You do not need a degree for what you want to learn--you just need to practice (game-related modeling tutorials) and get feedback. At some point you will want to tackle UV layout, texturing, and then what your focus will eventually be (characters, environments, hard-surface models, . . .).

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Also, next time you want to take a screenshot of your screen, just use the Snipping Tool if you're on windows or hit "PrtSc."  That will do a display capture.

If you want to get a bachelor's degree for this, there are unis and colleges out there for this.  I'd imagine you'd want a list?
  • sophiam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sophiam vertex
    Thank you for your feedback/comments! I am trying to find colleges and universities for 3D modeling courses in Canada, best if in BC. I am really lost in the moment, wondering if 3D modeling is what I would like to do as a job etc. I love sculpting and modeling but it feels like I have a long long way to go. I am just conflicted since going to a university and earning a bachelor's degree feels more secure and safe(?) than learning on my own. I 'm just worried since I have no one near to help me on this, and yes, I do want a list. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I'd be at a loss to provide even a cursory lsit of Canadian schools to look at.

@JacqueChoi Do you happen to know any he could even briefly start emailing?

--------------

@sophiam please, when you have the time, go click the "Wiki" button on the top of the Polycount website and read the threads that have been made ahead of you about getting an Education in game art.  You are by no means the only one who's asked the question you have, but your situation is unique in the same way others are.

But read the threads first before you just start waiting on people to answer.

I'm hoping you'll have more specified questions AFTERWARDs, but read the wiki first.
  • Domslice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Domslice polycounter lvl 8
    I'd be at a loss to provide even a cursory lsit of Canadian schools to look at.

I've got you covered Brian! 

Hi @sophiam, glad you're looking at getting serious about your future career, especially in entertainment/arts! I've grown up here in B.C., and currently live and work in Vancouver. Here's a quick list of tabs you should open right away:

1.  VFS - https://vfs.edu/programs/3D-animation-vfx
    2. BCIT - https://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/6540dipma
    3. AI - http://www.artinstitutevancouver.com/vfx-game-design/3d-modeling-diploma
    4. ECUAD - http://www.ecuad.ca/academics/undergraduate-degrees/bachelor-of-media-arts/3d-animation-major

Alot of acronyms eh?  See, I am Canadian.

Now the important question, which is the right fit for you? Hard to say unless you visit them all, which I highly recommend. They've always got open houses and tours you can book personally. Go to grad student screenings, watch the work for each school on their Youtube channel. This will help you get a feel for each.

I've attended both Emily Carr (ECUAD) and VFS (Vancouver Film School) - each with their own pros and cons. I ought to specify with the caveat about the former though, as it was there that I earned a Bachelor in Visual Arts. VFS came at a time where I "decided what to do with my life" and made up my mind to get into the local entertainment industry. Ultimately this worked out, as I now work as a modeller and texture artist for a local studio! 

You're still in high-school, so there's time to decide! But use it wisely, and if you feel strongly about your art, see it as a passion and a gift that must be shared, don't hesitate to pursue the dream. 

A roundabout way to answer your question, sorry for the long pre-amble. Do you have to study animation? Not really. You could mess around in Zbrush all day if you wanted to. But should you? I think yes. It's crucial to understand good topology for deformation, basic rigging, etc. which gives you an insight to working a pipeline. In your career you will 100% come into contact with riggers, and animators on a daily basis. Learn to speak their language!

If you've got specific questions about any of the other schools above just ask, I've got a co-worker from each!

TLDR: Go to school. Study everything. You won't regret it.
  • miguelrsmx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelrsmx polycounter lvl 6
    I also went to VFS and it was a nice experience. I've been hearing lots of opinions now, and there are definitely lots of new places offering more specific courses where industry people mentor you after work. 
    I suggest take a look at InFocus, a couple people I know from Method/Mainframe (VFX Studios in Vancouver) teach there:

https://infocusfilmschool.com/3d-animation-program/

I can also point you in the direction of the people in question, maybe they can give you better insights. Good luck!!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I would suggest avoiding Art Institute (they just rebranded to LaSalle College); I have a few friends who went there and the schooling seems sub-par. A supposedly good school here in Vancouver is Think Tank in North Van, it sounds world renowned. I think BCIT is the cheapest 3D art program. People have told me VFS is decent, and people have told me VanArts is OK.

Of course, if you're able to chill at home with your parents for another year or two, you can learn everything online and save yourself a lot money. It takes dedication, but so does school. If you're in your earlier years of high school, and keep making 3D art, who knows, you might be ready by graduation.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    If you want to model and sculpt do not go to a animation school, its a waste of time and it will be hard for you to stay motivated.