Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M24 Rifle Project

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Duard polycounter lvl 3
Whatsup fellow creatives

For my new project I decided that I want to do a M24 (US Army version of the R700 rifle) and later on the M40A3 (US Marines version of the R700 rifle). I don't get a lot of time to do personal projects due to graphic design work I have to do, but I'm excited to do this with you guys.

Please any recommendations, feedback and crits is most welcome!  

Decided to start with the scope since it can just go into my kit bash library.

Some reference:

Low Poly (sorta), still needs to be optimised a bit more

HP

UPDATE 04/09/2017
Apologies for the late update, have been busy again. I did some bakes here and there and I did end up easing the edges a bit on the HP, nothing massive

This is the  best baking results I have had so far, normally I would use a edge mask to fix issues but I decided to get some new input.
My bake details are in the images, any and all input will be mostly appreciated, used Painter for baking.

Replies

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    good stuff fam

edges may be a bit tight but bakes will tell
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    So far so good. May want to check the width measurement on that level, looks to be sticking out past the turret unlike your ref
  • Duard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duard polycounter lvl 3
    UPDATE 04/09/2017
    Updated the main post.

good stuff fam

edges may be a bit tight but bakes will tell
    Thanks for the feedback, I did end up loosening some edges up.

So far so good. May want to check the width measurement on that level, looks to be sticking out past the turret unlike your ref
    Oh yeah I saw that, decided that I will fix it after I found a good fix for my baking problem

EDIT:
    Had some more free time, upping my samples from 2 to 8 solved all the problems I had with the baking. Now just to bake out the rest of the maps and texture
  • Duard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duard polycounter lvl 3
    So for a very late update (been a bit busy lately)

The W:H for the map is 2:1 but for testing I just exported the maps 1:1

Hope someone can help or point me in the right direction. Attached is a few screen grabs, I'm not nearly done texturing but I decided to test my textures and came across the following.

The roughness map is a lot more subtle/ less contrast in toolbag than in painter. The exports also looks a bit less contrasty. Am I missing something? It feels like I'm just missing something fundamental? 
    All exports are 8bit TIFF except the normal is 16bits
    ^^ the above map is a resized 4k to 1k tiff to jpg

Is it maybe just my lighting in toolbag? Is it because I texture in 2k and export in 4k that its less "crispy"? Any input will be appreciated
  • Phong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phong polycounter lvl 3
    do you have sRGB checked off? i believe painter exports all the black and white maps in linear color space. i remember there being an sRGB check box in marmoset in the texture options
  • Duard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duard polycounter lvl 3
    sRGB was my first look, I'm figuring its just the lighting
  • Swaggernaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggernaut polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah the lighting in painter is a lot different from the one in marmoset, plus you have to take in the environment background hdri image thing as a factor of different looks
  • Duard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Duard polycounter lvl 3
    So just posting an update. Been busy again but got some time to render these out so long, for now this is where the texture will stay, I might add cammo on the M24 and also the scope and use these as base textures. C&C most welcome!