Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized SpaceShip - Helix I Fighter

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
I wanted to share a model I finished today, this is for a WIP game my brother and I are developing called Stellar Drift. Model took around 50 hours to complete from concepting to final in game model. All textures are 2k x 2k and the final poly count is roughly 21k. 

I appreciate any comments and critiques you guys can provide!

Below is my art station link and a few pictures:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/9VxrO

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I want more angles.  This looks too interesting,
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Really cool design, textures are looking a little low-res and rushed in places though :(
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    What Lotet said. The design is good but there's a quite a bit of artifacting, especially in the orange areas where it either looks like you didn't fill in the UV islands completely, or there is bleeding with other textures.

Also, while I'm talking about textures, my suggestion is maybe you can gather more references and give the design more detail so the textures don't look 100% uniform and ambiguous. For example, the orange is used everywhere but how can both the exhaust and the cockpit look the same? 

To get a better idea of what I mean, look at fantasy ships like the X-Wing or the Blue Falcon and notice how each craft element is distinguished from one another. 

• apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you all for the kind words and more importantly the critiques!

Brian "Panda" Choi 

I'll post up a few more shots once I fix up some of the textures like someone mentioned.

lotet 

Not going to lie this took a bit longer then expected so I ended up rushing some of the textures in a need to finish, but I'll definitely revisit it to fix that. I went with 2048 textures x 2048 textures and there are a total of 5 parts: main ship, turret, landing gear, cockpit, and the canope. Do you have any suggestions on how to increase the texture resolution without going past 2k? Is it down to UV layout?

JordanN 

Thanks! I'll dig up some more refernces to add some more variation, such as paint thinning in areas, or other highlights to stylize it even more. I totally see what you mean about the orange, I'll try and mix it up and give the engine portions a darker more worn orange since it probably took a beating flying through space and such.