Home Technical Talk

Need help with low poly modelling

marl_hiak
null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
marl_hiak null
Hello everyone. I need help with low poly modelling. Im new to 3d modelling. Im currently working on a lamp post. I would greatly appreciate if anyone is willing to teach me how to lay the edge flow. As for now im having an ngon on my mesh. And i would also like to ask if 2414 tris is good for low poly modelling? 

Replies

• marl_hiak
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    For future reference, it's better to print screen or save out a quick render of your prop. Offscreen pics make it harder to see what you're doing, especially as from what I can see, your lamp post is heavily cropped out.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    "Lowpoly" really is a relative term. Polycount really depends on the camera perspective and target platform.
    for a mobile game this would be considering highpoly as fk! for a 3rd person game its probably fine, and for a FPS or VR game its way to low.

is this the base for a highpoly mesh? or your final lowpoly mesh? do you plan to bake normals?
  • marl_hiak
    JordanN said:
    For future reference, it's better to print screen or save out a quick render of your prop. Offscreen pics make it harder to see what you're doing, especially as from what I can see, your lamp post is heavily cropped out
    Thanks for your reply. Here is the print screen of the lamp post im working on. may i know what you mean by heavily cropped out.
    Is it the multiple object or is it because of the details? 

• marl_hiak
    lotet said:
    "Lowpoly" really is a relative term. Polycount really depends on the camera perspective and target platform.
    for a mobile game this would be considering highpoly as fk! for a 3rd person game its probably fine, and for a FPS or VR game its way to low.

is this the base for a highpoly mesh? or your final lowpoly mesh? do you plan to bake normals?
    thanks for the reply. this is the final lowpoly mesh. except i have not done with the smooth/ harden edges. yes, i plan to bake normal.
    the problem is i dont know if i model the lamp post correctly as some people say its not good to use tris and ngon. i would like to do this for my
    3d modelling portfolio, so whats the recommended polycount needed. what do i do next? How do i  reduce the polycount? Thanks in advance
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Reduce the polycount? If anything you should increase the polycount. But, I won't repeat what @lotet already told you.  Polycount is complettly dependent on the asset's purpose. How can triangles be bad? The game engine e renders triangles. N-gons are neither good nor bad. You just need to understand what they are and how they relate to baking/triangulation/subdividing. I won't go into it here as I've already posted several times this week on the 'myth of quads'.

These are all simple concepts that you need to study yourself and experiment with if you intend to progress. You need to sift through the bullshit and draw your own conclusions based on self-experimentation. The only way to really grasp and understand this stuff.