Home Technical Talk

Radiosity ao to specific vertex colour / 3ds max

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Jimonions polycounter lvl 10
I'm able to get the radiosity ao to vertex stuff working fine through the vertex paint modifier. The problem is I only want the result into one of the vertex channels, e.g. only red instead of white and black so i can use it appropriately in ue4 without messing up my other vert colours.

I haven't been able to find any other solutions on the web for doing this specific thing.
Does anybody have a solution or possible workaround that does not require manual painting?

Replies

• Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    I'd make a copy of the mesh for the radiosity, then make a script to transfer that to the channel of your choice on the original mesh. Assuming editable mesh, that's just looping over the vertex count combining getVertColor sourceMesh index and getVertColor sourceMesh index and setting the resulting vale via setVertColor targetMesh index combinedColor.
  • Jimonions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimonions polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, actually I figured out there's an option to modify the colours with the vertex paint modifier called adjust colours in the floating box.
    Just turned up red all the way so i was left with red in occluded areas and white everywhere else.

Since I still needed black instead of white I used the hsv tickbox in the colour adjuster to turn down the value and turn up saturation all the way. In the layer mode section on the floating box i turned mine to linear light since it seemed to give the best result. What Im left with is my red occluded areas on top of my original vertex colours and black everywhere else.