Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

From Apprentice to Master Blacksmith - Araiel 3d Sketchbook

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Araiel polycounter lvl 10
Hello everyone,
after long time of watching your works, reading all topics here on Polycount I decided to start my own sketchbook. Currently I'm at a crossroads. Don't know exactly what I want to do. In the past I mainly made some product vizualizations and photo sessions with 3d models as a background because I wanted to work with cosplayers in my area. Now I think that was a bad idea. People don't want to cooperate, community is a bit closed and doesn't want new members. Also there is no paid work in this topic. So I have one project which must be finished and I think I'll end this chapter.
So I've decided to move to game art and aim for Weapon Artist position. Here is what I have at the moment regarding new projects and this one unfinished from the past.

1. Muzzelite MZ14 for a new Weapons Monthly Challange here on the forum. I've almost done low poly model.

2. Stielhandgranate. Low poly done.

3. CGI Photoshoot with 3d models. Theme was Eowyn character from "The Lord of the Rings". Below is the first illustration which I made. Now I'm at second one.

For the new frame I made these 3d models and whole scene looks like this:

Recently I also made a 3d model of the sword which I want to put on the table in the background. Have only high poly model from Zbrush. I have some problems with retopology. Automatic - from zremesher - was bad. I didn't like it. So need to make it manually.

Also for other shoots I made a Witch King of Angmar helmet:

Replies

• Araiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Sword - I've started this project as a part of my latest "The Lord of the Rings" CGI Photoshoot but at the middle of the work I've decided to learn something new and make it as low-poly game art model. So here it is. 7,8k tris. Modelling in 3ds max and sculpting in ZBrush. For texturing I used combo - Quixel + Painter. I think that doing maps in both softwares gives you so much new possibilites and you don't need to do all in one of them. Btw. I think it's my first game art low-poly model. Hope you like it :)

For the Monthly Weapons Challange I made the low poly model of Muzzelite MZ14 (7478 tris) and unwrapped it. Now I must make high poly and texture it.

• Araiel
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've made three models this week.

First - Muzzelite MZ-14 for Monthly Weapons Challange here on the forum. 7,5k tris.

Second one - MK2 Grenade. I've started this model as my learning path of weapons' game art. Based on the tutorial by Tim Bergholz from ChamferZone. During the project I decided to make it "more my own version" and here it is.

And after that I made another grenade as a test of what I've learnt from Tim's tutorial. So I choose Stielhandgranate from World War II. 2,5k tris.

Currently I'm making a Vray shader for previous sword model so I will be able to add it to my Lord of the Rings project and working on new version of my portfolio site. After that I would like to make another weapon game art model.
  • Araiel
    Offline / Send Message
    New model - this time HK USP which was used in the Tomb Raider movie. 2650 tris.

Also I wrote you about Vray shader for the sword - so here it's:

• Araiel
    Offline / Send Message
    I've finished second illustration from my "The Lord of the Rings (Eowyn)" digital art-photo project. In previous posts you can see some models which I used in the scene and raw 3d frame. Whole scene was made in 3d. Photo of the model (Szronogrzywa) was taken by me.

• Araiel
    Offline / Send Message
    As same as a hk usp gun - I've decided to change my old high poly lightsabers models to low poly ones. First is Darth Maul's saber. 3,8k tris. Textured in Painter. When I finish all of them I will make bigger scene.

• Araiel
    Offline / Send Message
    This time something related to the photogrammetry. I made some 3d scans of objects and grounds. Here is the first part of them:

Celery root

Chanterelle mushroom

Plaster texture

Concrete texture

• Araiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Still doing some photogrammetry stuff - this time parsley and cucumber (6,5k and 4,5k poly). Currently renders only from Vray.
    Projects to do:
    - third image from the Eowyn photoshoot,
    - another 3d scans (second chantarelle mushroom and carrot),
    - some weapon stuff (I think it will be sword, knife, axe or something like that. Not a gun).

• Araiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello everyone, long time I didn't post here but it doesn't mean that I didn't do anything. On the contrary, I made so many new things which I'd like to show you. First some new photogrammetry stuff.
    I tried to improve my workflow, fix shaders inside Vray. Think I did a good job and below are some models which I did recently.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    That food is looking good.  Though for some of the items that have fuzz, the diffusion of the light along it's extremeties feels ever so slightly off.  More plastic than rind.
  • Araiel
    Offline / Send Message
    That food is looking good.  Though for some of the items that have fuzz, the diffusion of the light along it's extremeties feels ever so slightly off.  More plastic than rind.
    Thanks for the comment. I will try to improve that part of the shader you mentioned. Or maybe it's a fault of the studio light parameteres. Will try to render new ones with hdri.