Home Technical Talk

Problem with Zbrush FBX export to 3ds Max 2017

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
M u r t t i polycounter lvl 2
Hello,

I am going through this tutorial at Pluralsight and trying to export my highpoly mesh Zbrush4R7 into 3ds Max 2017. I am following instructions in tutorial but the end result isn't what I expected. Could someone help me with this problem as I am just getting to know Zbrush and this is my first time I'm trying to export mesh to 3ds Max.
In the following pictures there are three steps:
Pic1: Original lowpoly model in 3ds Max which was imported to Zbrush. Now I am exporting highpoly model on the same scene as instructed in tutorial. 

Pic2: The end result when I have exported FBX file to 3Ds Max that was saved in Zbrush.

Pic3: Decimated highpoly mesh in Zbrush before exporting.

Problem: As you might notice from pic2 the scale is not the same with these models. Also all the sculpting done in Zbrush is lost and all the exported subtools are super smooth. In the tutorial scale is the same with these objects and exported mesh has all the details that were added in Zbrush. Before decimation the model had over 10M total points. I know this is a lot but after decimating it I ended up with 1,3M which is "okay" I guess. 

I have already tried to find solution from google but I am starting to lose my nerve with this. Help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Tutorial by Dan John Cox
https://app.pluralsight.com/library/courses/game-prop-texturing-fundamentals/table-of-contents

Picture 1:

Picture 2:

Picture 3:

Replies

• M u r t t i
    Offline / Send Message
    Now I tested if exporting works with smaller mesh. I created cone in Zbrush and did minor sculpting to it. After that I decimated and exported FBX. Even though this mesh was super simple I noticed that tris in 3ds max increased to 3m! How can this be possible? I guess the problem must be somewhere in my Zbrush settings...or in my sculpt.

my chest export is also impossible to do on empty scene in 3ds max (3ds max will crash) but it can be done on the scene where my original lowpoly model is. That is also quite interesting..

• M u r t t i
    Offline / Send Message
    Just figured out solution to this and wanted to share if someone is facing similar problems. I had to simply rename my objects in zbrush before exporting to 3ds max and I also used more decimation to decrease file size. I guess 3ds max didn't know how to create those objects when subtools had similar names with lowpoly objects. I still had to export bottom part and cover separately as Max was crashing when exporting whole mesh at the same time.
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I would probably stick with the .obj format, because from my experience the scale is stable and doesn't change when exporting or importing between Zbrush and a 3D modeling software.

...ja hah, että sun suomekieliset objektien nimeämiset sai mut ratkeamaan. Ite pitäydyn aina englannissa, kun on muutenkin kansainvälinen ala. Ensin näin sun nimimerkkis, että "Murtti" - pakko olla joku suomalainen ja toi outliner objekteineen varmisti kyllä sen. :D
  • M u r t t i
    Offline / Send Message
    I would probably stick with the .obj format, because from my experience the scale is stable and doesn't change when exporting or importing between Zbrush and a 3D modeling software.

...ja hah, että sun suomekieliset objektien nimeämiset sai mut ratkeamaan. Ite pitäydyn aina englannissa, kun on muutenkin kansainvälinen ala. Ensin näin sun nimimerkkis, että "Murtti" - pakko olla joku suomalainen ja toi outliner objekteineen varmisti kyllä sen. :D
    Thanks for the tip!
    ps. haha, piti olla vaan harjotus omaksi iloksi niin, objektien nimet on mitä on :D, ehkä parasta pysyä englannissa, jos joutuu jakamaan screeneja jatkossa. Kiitti vinkistä!