Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cal. 357 M9 Revolver Fanart (WIP Thread)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Gazu polycounter lvl 11
Hi Guys,

yesterday i started a new gun project.
I saw this amazing piece of concept art by Kris Thaler and i made the decision that this gun needs to be part of my portfolio.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LbNKA

I already searched the web for good looking, modern revolvers and this one by Kris Thaler is my decision.

I will not follow the concept 100%, i´ll take it as Fanart. Small changes on the details are planned. Why? Sometimes i rather miss a "strange looking" detail then to model it in and to have a weird looking smoothing on my highpoly. And yes, the concept looks great allover in my eyes, small changes are just a personal decision.

Yesterday from 6pm to 3am ^^ i achieved this:

My goal is to finish the highpoly tonight or at least on sunday.
I handle this gun as a fast portfolio project, because i also must work on my indiegame which i want to release by the end of the year 2017!

Thank you,
Gazu

Replies

• Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    coming along nicely, not much I'm noticing wrong with it at the moment bar how flat it all its around the handle. 
    The specular on the reference indicates its a bit more rounded, but not really a big difference. 
  • 9Solid
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    Honestly, the handle on the reference is a little too round and doughy for my tastes. I agree with @Mossbros that the handle looks a little flat. Another thing I'd add is that the handle finger rest could be a little sharper. A lot of it really depends on what final material you plan on the grip being made out of. I prefer the sharper edges of wood grips over the blocky look to some of the rubber ones, but it's really just my taste. 

Overall, though. Nice job. I'm excited to see how this plays out. Do you plan on making the laser sight? Because that's one sick laser sight. With emissive textures the orange ring and dot could look pretty dope. Can't wait to see more!
  • NickBaker1993
    Looking really good so far, can't wait to see some more progress. I think the flat area on the handle looks much better than the rounded look in the concept honestly, keep up the good work.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks People. Yeah, you´re totaly right. The Handgrip is on the Concept a bit more chubby ;)

@9Solid : Which part you mean with Finger Rest? And yes, i will make the Flashlight and the ELOTEK ;)

Here some new pictures, the tactical look is still missing, but i think that this will do the picatinny rails and the sights.
    Will be fun to connect all the support edges from the picatinny rail when its cuttet... -_-"
    Also have to play around with the "connection" between drum, barrel and the gun itself, a bit tricky there.
    But it will come all in place, i just need a few more days ^^

Oh and yeah...the extrudes on the drum are rounded. On the concept they´re angled.
    I tried both and i liked the rounded version more. So that i mean with some small changes. I model it like on the concept, but when a thingy doesnt fit well, i change it a bit, so just a personal decision.
  • Duard
    Offline / Send Message
    Duard polycounter lvl 3
    What caliber is this? I just feel like the roley is really small for the size of the body? I feel like it just makes the gun look long and thin as where I would think it should feel bulky? I dont have the reference so maybe im jut looking at it wrong? Otherwise great work! :smiley:
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Duard :)
    Well, the lower Picatinny Rail is still missing, maybe because of this she´s looking a bit thin/long.
    As you can see, the proportions are 1:1 with the concept:

6 Rounds cal. 357 ;)
    You can find the link to this amazing piece of concept art in my first post of this thread.

But yeah, maybe it´s not a bad idea to make the barrel of the gun a bit shorter :)
    I will see how things wil turn out!

Thank you!
  • Duard
    Offline / Send Message
    Duard polycounter lvl 3
    I see, yeah maybe it is the rails haha, great work man!
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Guys :)
    Small Update:

I model with animation in mind, but i will not animate her ;)
    The connection thingy between barrel, ammo-drum, picattiny rail and the gun itself was a bit tricky.
    But i solved it pretty fast, my luck ;) 35° rotation to open dat gun.

A few things left: detailing the ammo-drum, a hole for the hammer, cutting holes for the barrel, the barrel itself and the standart rear and front sight. And i must model a believable technique for the drum release. After the gun is done i will start to work out the 2 attachments.

To be continued... ;)

• Duard
    Offline / Send Message
    Duard polycounter lvl 3
    Dude that rail defs did the job, excited to see the rest, keep it up! 
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Guys,
    some small progress.
    You mean wires Shini?
    Here you go:

To be continued... ;)

• Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Shinigami.
    Sorry for the delay, i worked on my indie game these days.
    Anyway, i call the HighPoly done:

I will not model the flashlight just to keep the revolver more comfortable and lighter.
    I also made the barrel in his length shorter. Its now a bit off from the concept, but i like the look now more and thats important for me ^^
    Next LowPoly and UVs.
  • kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    Sexy. Looking forward for the lowpoly version
  • ComradeDispenser
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    top notch work my man

• Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Guys.
    Bakes done:

Next Texturing.
  • Tim Lewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim Lewis polycounter lvl 7
    Nice, clean bakes. You got some really good shapes going on with this gun. Can’t wait to see it textured.
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    awesome stuff dude
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks Guys,
    here the Textures without the Sight. The Sight is still untextured.
    Baked and Textured in Substance Painter.

There is one thing which is not cool.
    In iRay the Roughness Variation is clearly visible on the Side.
    In Unreal its not so good visible. Maybe i should make some of the roughness layers a bit more rougher, to push the contrast.
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    I call this Revolver done! I hope you like it!
    1080p pics on my Artstation! https://www.artstation.com/artwork/xx5er

Thank you people!