Home Technical Talk

27" QHD, 14 bit LUT, rec 709, ips ViewSonic monitor

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
claydough polycounter lvl 10
sounds nice...
They want it to be their creative professional flagship...
But with the high prices of these things, it makes one wish there was a fast 32" TV market that included the newest tech.
To offer some alternative.
Considering that rec 709, rec 2020, HDR 10, WCG will probably offer up more color accuracy that will be ubiquitous in 10 years.
( along with sharp crisp contrast ratios of future true blacks in self emitting diodes. )
Makes one wish they could just fast forward. :(

At $700 it's pricey but GamerNexus touted it was on sale fer $500 n sure enuff they were right!
Sort of seems like a nice price for a QHD monitors with such specs?
( wish I had $500 to spend :neutral: )

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16824116839&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=11877032&PID=1800524&SID=

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    16:10 is more desirable than any of those features imo,
    I went from 21:9 curved to 16:9 then back to my old 16:10.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna said:
    By "creative professional" they refer to people like photographers. The typical 3D artist will see little to no professional benefit from anything beyond a 6-bit TN panel.

You'll be much better off spending money on screen estate, software, educational material and the like.
    good point for sculpt centric builds/concentration. But considering most art creatives with such a 3D concentration have many other artistic visual interests? Even audio/music and design pursuits ( unless my bias is way off ) I imagine as much would be relevant for most?

Particularly since Unreal seems to be full steam ahead on the HDR support/considerations to the point where they just completely replaced the Post-Process handling to support any variation of future HDR spec ( though I am not sure if they thought out frame independent dynamic HDR yet that will be possible with HDMI 2.1 coming late this year ).
    In which case..
    I would be a bit paranoid about possible 6 bit issues ( color gamut, dithering ) for color/texture work in the pipe. And paranoia in general about not having a 10 bit display for accuracy in HDR interests/future.
    ( keep being pulled in the; "make it and they will come vs they wont come cause no one will make it" mania... Where many r being dismissive because there is no great amount of media? Yet when I do see a hardware tech demo, as much seems sexy enuff to wanna pursue! )

Someone did make the point of waiting late this year before any new monitor investments because of that new HDMI 2.1 spec:
    ( the negligible sounding versioning 2.1 is supposed to b deceiving considering improved monster bandwidth from 18Gbps (HDMI 2.0) to 48Gbps (HDMI 2.1) )
    Because the industry is supposed to leverage as much where speed and WCG HDR improvements will b ubiquitously implemented to drive sales with a mainstream ( cheap ) adoption.
    Which sounds like a hopeful wait and see option considering as much is less then 2 years time. ( To allow almost 2 iterations of product release cycles to prove otherwise! )
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True I don't know how to "concretize" ( when I do see a hardware tech demo, as much seems sexy enuff to wanna pursue! ) as a quantifiable need? :)
    Other than intuition ( like wanting to pursue modeling in stereoscopic depth because what I intuitively feel is revealed... is a creative insight lost to the monoscopic experience ) Which iz hella vague as well but pretty consuming in solution searches.
    I would assume that color accuracy as well as the wider gamut would be critical to the transition ( to gauge 10 bit gamut accuracy in the texture work and to gauge an end user experience of wider gamuts/accuracy when building as much in UE4's new post processing/LUTs/grading that leverage HDR10/rec709 specs. )
    I spose that would be awesome news if as much was not critical for as much. Otherwise I would have assumed bit banding issues and output that did not reflect the prospective HDR end user's experience? ( HDR end user experience of my UE tonemapper edits fer instance? )
    Very intriguing! What am I missing. ( clueless )

• claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Definitely will wait n see if as much really does become mainstream ( trivial ) after hdmi 2.1 then. And ignore a premium market where Acer is pricing fast 144 Hz 4k IPS monitors with high rec2020 specs for $2000! :open_mouth: