Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - March & April 2017 (47)

Replies

• Go2frag
    Offline / Send Message
    Go2frag polycounter lvl 6
    @plord this turret looks super cool! :) 
  • Prototyper
    Offline / Send Message
    Prototyper polycounter lvl 3
    Better late than never. Here is my progress on the pitcity concept. Still need to model a few props here and there, but aside from that it's going pretty well. Getting the diagnal support beams right bit of a pain in the ass. I will start texturing after i modeled the last things. 

• SDimitrius
    Offline / Send Message
    SDimitrius polycounter lvl 14
    @DkuCook I'm really diggin the way your metal and wood is turning out!
  • Daniel_Swing
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel_Swing ngon master
    I was stupid enough to give in to my Dark Souls hunger and started a second play-through... So I haven't had much time to keep this one up. Will get back to it asap.
    @Xelan101 : Thank you for your advice! I haven't actually decided what I wanted it to look like - outside of the given concept art (it, frankly, confuses me when it comes to the materials). I'll start to gather some references.
    @DkuCook : I'm painting with a PBR workflow (not only color) but I do enforce the light information in the base color as well. This iteration of the wood uses generators to quickly mask out the the edges and crevasses of the wood (I custom hand-painted it in the previous iterations but I found that it took an illegitimate long time for a result that can be achieved much quicker with generated masks).
  • MrMoustache
    Offline / Send Message
    MrMoustache polycounter lvl 2
    Hey guys! 

This is my first challenge, I've chosen the hammer 'cause I thought it just looked awesome. Changed it a bit, made the hitting part of the hammer of stone instead of what looks like metal in the concept art. Hope you like it and feedback is welcome!

@Xelan101
    Really love the style you've chosen. It gives a really cool Blizzard game effect. What I noticed is that the texture on your different materials aren't really different, this can make it a bit harder to identify the material you are trying to achieve. For example, the stone hitting part, has some deep cuts and holes. But the metal surrounding the stone has the same deep cuts, with the same intensity, and also the holes have the same size and intensity. Maybe if you'd change the intensity and the sizes of the cuts and  holes you can differentiate stone from metal. Metal is stronger, or damages somewhat different than stone does. But I really like the vibe you have going on there! 

@DkuCook
    I really love the texture work of the metal you have. Maybe make it a bit more blurry? Try adding a noise map to achieve random blur spots on the metal, maybe it adds a bit more depth. The danger if you do that of course is that if you want a more stylized look, you do now want the realistic blur spots. Can't wait to see the whole piece textured!

• DkuCook
    Offline / Send Message
    DkuCook vertex
    Spent the day working on the Stone and Bronze textures. Still got some work to do on the Bronze Roughness Map. Not started on the Steel sections yet, should be tomorrows job. Thanks for all the feedback.

• Jesse Walsh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Walsh polycounter lvl 7
    @DkuCook  Looks great! 

Here is mine in UE4. I'm not completely happy with it, but I think I am going to move on and do one of the other props or environments. I never figured out how to smooth my normals out in substance painter, so you can see some weird lines on the hammer head from generated noise that looked good in Zbrush but not in substance painter.

• DkuCook
    Offline / Send Message
    DkuCook vertex
    Finished my first hammer today. There are improvements I want to make to it, but it seems like a better idea to take what I've learnt and apply it to a fresh model.

Final tri count was 600 and texture res 1024X1024. Any critique is still welcome. :)

• plord
    Offline / Send Message
    plord polycounter lvl 5
    I think it's my first so big asset (I mean few parts/materials/texture sets) but it's going quite fast considering that I'm doing it after hours. If it's fun, it's not work :D Nice Challenge! So here is progress in SP after rough part - baking, fixing, redesigning some parts. Now I'm onto fun part - texturing this :D Have something in mind how to approach it but any c&c are welcome :)

@Go2frag Dzięki! :D Thought so that tweaking the fov and proportions will be tricky for this concept :D But it's looking nice! About the breakdown approach - think I would attack this concept in the same way(not super-experienced-person opinion :D). Keep pushing!
    @MrMoustache Whoa nice shapes here!
    @DkuCook One thing that I was thinking about is the stone color, is it hitting pink or its caused by enviro? I would keep it classic gray/blue. And for the copper - maybe less spec on metal and for dirt less dark and maybe more orange/dark orange'ish color? Still man, awesome work, nice metals!
    @Jesse Walsh Thats in UE? Still looks like the concept, nice! :D Not sure but it looks like some map from noise layer have too much contribution (opacity). 

• M.Petersen
    Offline / Send Message
    M.Petersen polycounter lvl 6
    Haven't posted in a while now, busy with school project as well. but here is an update of what I have been working on until now.
    After the blockout I imported everything into Unreal and started with some basic lighting, I don't really have too much experience with this so its just testing some stuff and tweaking everything.

After that I started working on a Proof of Art asset, I chose the air-conditioning object since it has some cool elements.....cool.... elements.. get it?... ok... 
    this was the first time I have been using Substance Painter, so this is also really experimental for me still, but learning Substance Painter is one of the main goals for me for this project.

The wall plaster material was done quickly in Substance Designer, nothing too fancy but just a test to set everything up. It will be replaced later on.

• fsanin
    Offline / Send Message
    fsanin polycounter lvl 4
    I think I should post my progress more frequently.

@Jesse Walsh and @DkuCook , both hammers look awesome! This is my first time giving feedback, so, any feedback on my feedback is welcome, haha. 

@DkuCook, Your model resulted really really close to the concept, it is great. Your textures are cool, but I feel that the color of the wooden piece of your hammer feels a little bit flat to me. Maybe playing a little bit with color variation and value variation on it could help. The green hints towards the borders feel really nice, as well as the scratches.

@Jesse Walsh, I like the lighting setup for your render, looks super clean. The model and its textures are well painted. I think that the distinction between the two different metals of the head of the hammer is not entirely noticeable. Maybe tweaking the roughness values of them could make the gold and Iron  have an even bigger material differentiation .

So far, I have made a first pass of texturing on my structure and props. I feel that my color maps need a lot more love.
    My proportions look super weird, as I really would like to be able to place the default Unreal mannequin there and be able to traverse the environment (I don't know if that is how challenges work, or if I should just try to be loyal to the concept).

So far, I was just playing with lighting to see how stuff was looking, probably will have to delete it all and start again once I have set up all my props with their textures.

I would appreciate if anybody has feedback! :)

• Jesse Walsh
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @fsanin  thanks for the feedback. I think you are right about the two metals being too similar. I can't decide if I am going to make another hammer or an environment next. If I do make a hammer I will try to address that.

Your scene is coming along very well. I like the lucky cat a lot! My biggest critique of your model would be its lack of "chunkiness."  Everything looks like it needs to be a little thicker. The planks on the ground, the walls, the stairs/ladder treads, and a lot of other elements look like they are on diet. Try beefing them up a little bit.
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    @Xelan101 Wow! really nice sculpt dude, I have a question about the wraps, do they just go around in a circle like a a band over the wood, from what I can make out its the only way they can wrap together? really good edge definition, I should widen my edges too. 

Here is what I have so far, I am pretty busy with other work the next few months so only have time for the prop challenge :)
  • plord
    Offline / Send Message
    plord polycounter lvl 5
    It's finally done. More shots soon, had time only to set up this one today :D Learned a bit and I'm glad that I've finished it having so little time. 
    Maybe will start the other turret, looks much simpler with those blocky shapes :D
  • Jesse Walsh
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah! @plord  it looks great!
  • SergeyA
    Offline / Send Message
    SergeyA polycounter lvl 6
    @MrMoustache This is an amazing sculpt!
    I'd like to share my work in progress too. I didn't make it the last monthly challenge with the well and decided to go with something smaller this time.

Modeling, sculpting and materials are done in Blender. I anticipate some challenges converting it to the low-poly asset but I hope it will turn out fine.
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Looks good @plord, i really like what you have done with it, cool design.
  • fsanin
    Offline / Send Message
    fsanin polycounter lvl 4
    @plord That turret is awesome! I like the detail of the yellow cable going all the way from the base of the turret.

@Jesse Walsh, thanks for your feedback! I think you are right, I have to make the overall structures thicker. Now that you told me I can't stop seeing everything really thin, haha.

Here is a quick screenshot of my current progress, just added and textured a few more props. I also got rid of the lighting entirely and went back to the default daylight lighting.

• Daniel_Swing
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel_Swing ngon master
    Another Iteration. Much more content with this one. Went back to the HP and re-sculpted pretty much everything.

• plord
    Offline / Send Message
    plord polycounter lvl 5
    Finished some reders and presentation shots :D Moar (with wire) on my profile: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/P5Q4o.
    Thanks @Jesse Walsh @s1dK @fsanin for kind words and all guys for help. Starting second turret, some blockout below, btw thinking about adding some cloth through marvelous designer (want to learn it btw) on top part, what do You guys thinking?

aand new turret blockout (with cloth concept :D):

• Daniel_Swing
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel_Swing ngon master
    Another WIP image. Getting stuck again. I'm happy with the wood handle but not at all with the leather.

• Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Navi271 polycounter lvl 4
    Hey everyone, I've been working on this as well, but it's just really slow going.

@Daniel_Swing The leather is looking similar to the stone. I think the leather should have a slight shine to it, and it could have a subtle texture to it to make it look like a separate material.

@plord The first turret turned out fantastic! I don't know about the fabric on the 2nd turret. It does remind me of camouflaged artillery, but I'm not sure if it fits the sci-fi theme.

@fsanin I love all the detail in the props you have, but I do think that a darker background would suit the scene better than a lighter one.

Here's a recent high poly render of the smaller turret I've been working on. There's a surprising difference between the game model and the concept art, and I've seemed to drift toward the game model, so that's what I'm going off of. I'm also exaggerating a lot of the features to make it a little more interesting.

• Daniel_Swing
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel_Swing ngon master
    I ended up with something that I'm quite happy with. Unless you guys have some great feedback, I'm calling this one done!

More images in my Sketchbook and a marmoset viewer on ArtStation!
  • fsanin
    Offline / Send Message
    fsanin polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the feedback! (I cannot personally name anybody, the April fools thing doesn't let me see, who is who, hahaha).
    Indeed, this scene looks much better at night due to the red lamps!!

Daniel, that hammer looks great!

I just wanted to post an update on the environment. I am still working on the lighting. I will keep working on it next week.

• Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Some more progress shots, HP is 18m polys LP is 1268 Tris

• fsanin
    Offline / Send Message
    fsanin polycounter lvl 4
    Hi everyone! I think I finally finished it! With a lot of room for improvement in probably every aspect, I am still really happy how it ended up :)

If anybody has any feedback, I would be happy to know what you think can be improved.

• Daniel_Swing
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel_Swing ngon master
    @fsanin : I spent a good amount of time trying to find something wrong in your scene, but I didn't find anything ;) Can we hold our breath for some close-up shots?
  • fsanin
    Offline / Send Message
    fsanin polycounter lvl 4
    @Daniel_Swing : Thanks you! When I post those close-up shots you're going to find a lot of wrong things, hahaha. I actually think that is my weak spot, I should have been more careful with each of the assets to make them look good by themselves. I intended the environment to be seen from the angle the concept was made, but still, that is no excuse.

Also, a friend was really confused by the signs. He wrote: "Only comment is the Japanese banner 'tenki' means 'weather' don't know if that's what you were going for? Or maybe you meant like heaven store? As 'ten' can mean heaven and 'ki' is a common suffix for types of shops"
    I am talking to him about it to see if he can help met decipher what the concept says, or what the banners should say, so I can fix some stuff related to that and make things make sense.
    I have been haunted by the language of this concept since the challenge started, I was too shy to ask in the beginning, so... lesson learned, always do research on whatever you are making before hand. That could help you fleshing the concept out, and be consistent (and respectful) with the whole culture and context of the scene.

• SergeyA
    Offline / Send Message
    SergeyA polycounter lvl 6
    I  would call it done. That's the best I can do for now. Everything is done inside Blender, which I am really happy about, because it simplifies workflow a great deal.
    model

• SpaceRogue
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Finally figured out how to make better normal bakes, not perfect bakes, but getting there.

Kinda random but still related: Been trying to find a way to make Smoothing groups from UV isle's in Max but so far there is only the other way around with is pointless to me, anyone know a recent plugin ? 

• TravisUnderwood
    Offline / Send Message
    TravisUnderwood polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everyone. This will be my first go at a polycount challenge. I look forward to the critiques and advice. I am enjoying everyone's different perspective on their projects.

@fsanin : I really enjoy your entire scene. The assets are strong from the angle shots and most of them in the close ups. I think if it is just to render a nice shot from the camera you shouldn't worry about how the props look in the close ups. The lighting is good, but I think a focal point would really make this scene pop.

@Daniel_Swing: The first hammer is wonderful. The style is similar to what i am trying to achieve. I think retouching the textures was a good idea. Now looking at the rock and the leather they are obviously different. Looking forward to the next hammer.

Here are some renders of the low poly and high poly to compare. I created the low poly in Maya and the hi poly in Zbrush. I do plan on finishing the textures in Substance Painter. Should be fun.

• plord
    Offline / Send Message
    plord polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, want to post some progress of the second turret. I consider HP done for this moment, rest detailing work will be done in painter :). @Navi271 I've also had some rough time trying to do things 1:1 with this concept and comparing with in-game model. I've found the concept to be more blocky, less fragile than the game model, so I've freestyled a bit with it. Some parts in game-model are working weirdly like those shields that doesn't protect anything ;d. l Didn't want to use symmetry all the way so the gun part is moved a bit to the side (when in center it doesn't click with my brain :D ), also I've resigned from 'here and there' parts.

It would be awesome to get some c&c at this point, maybe if I start LP soon, will manage to finish this asset till the end of April haha :D

@fsanin Congratz! That's a huge amount of work and it looks fantastic! Great lighting and textures! One thing that comes to my mind is to reduce shadows a bit, too strong imo even for the full moon. 
    @Navi271 I can't wait to see it finished :)

• CrimsonIndustry
    Offline / Send Message
    CrimsonIndustry polycounter lvl 8
    Hi all,

Decided to go with the second turret since I can't possibly hope to beat @Plord 's and @s1dK 's models. Fantastic detail on both.
    @Omnicypher , looks great but that backdrop causes it all to blend together and lose definition a bit.

I also went the asymmetrical route since I think they can look pretty neat if done well. Don't know what I'll put on the other side yet, but I'll get there. Maybe I'll ditch the "cowl" that's under the gun like Plord did, we'll see. Looking forward to detailing the top, but I've got to block it out first - I think I spent too much time on adding details on what I have so far rather than making an outline of what I have yet to do.

• LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    @CrimsonIndustry, you can make it even better man, just take your time ( dont rush things) and remember to make it functional.
    The blockout already looks pretty good. Have fun!
  • jnosis
    Offline / Send Message
    jnosis null
    Hello everyone i'm posting pretty late as i'm sure everyones been posting since this challenge started but i didn't even know it was a thing. So with that being said i decided to do the prop challenge this post is gonna have a sketch fab with the 3 hammers in it. I felt it would be alot easier to get feedback as a pose to pictures. It will also have all 3 texture maps so you can see my texture workflow.  I welcome any and all crits each will help me improve! hope you guys enjoy 
    model

• Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    @plord I really like the direction you're going with the next turret. I agree about making it asymmetrical would make it more interesting. I was debating that as well, but as you can see I went the other direction. The shields are weird and wouldn't do a thing to protect it, we were discussing this at work lol. I really like all the little details.

@CrimsonIndustry I started doing details in the middle of blocking out as well. I think it possibly hindered my progress a bit because i had to adjust some things by scale which was a bit more difficult when things were more detailed. I don't think a few details are a bad things though, just to hint on ideas so you don't forget. 

The only critique I have is if you put the "feet" of the turret every 90 degrees like you have it now I'd definitely add a 4th one on the back to look more like it won't fall over.

@jnosis I really like the texture work you have on those hammers! However, I would make the UV seam on the bottom of the hammers a bit more seamless if you can. It's really obvious when you see the underside of the hammers especially since they're in Sketchfab. That's mostly directed toward the 2 larger hammers, the smaller one doesn't have a noticeable seam.

I finally got the high poly done, and I'm moving on to the low poly! Here are some Keyshot renders for everyone. I decided to stick with it and keep the useless side shields and make it symmetrical. One thing I noticed when rendering and making the low poly is that the feet might be a bit too small for how big I made the gun... This is why you completely block it out before you start adding the details!!! At the right angles it looks good though.

@TravisUnderwood Get back to work! lol, see ya at 8.
  • Democles
    Offline / Send Message
    Democles polycounter lvl 7
    Hey, Polycount! First time participating in a challenge, and got a late start. I'm tackling the hard surface environment and am currently towards the end of the block-out stage in Maya. I'm still struggling to figure out the exact proportions of the space, and debating if I should go for 100% accuracy to the concept or if I should build the room to be physically accurate and diverge from the concept a bit.

Here's where I'm at currently with my blocked in models and lighting: 
    The walls to the left and right of the door use a lot of the same elements and should presumably be the same size. The back wall to the right of the door fits well enough, but to get the left wall to fit in that space, with those proportions and perspective, it has to be a stretched to 1.5x  its length to make up for foreshortening. I could either not scale up the left wall and diverge from concept, or (as I'm currently doing) scale it up and break the space to fit concept more accurately. But since the walls are going to made of modular pieces I feel like stretching is bad practice. You can see how the left wall is stretched in the screenshot below. I'm not sure if its an issue in the concept or my understanding of the space and was wondering if anyone else had run into this problem and figured out a solution.

I also can't decide if the space above the door is a continuation of the wall, or a reflection of the wall on a flat ceiling. 
    So far its been fun and challenging getting the proportions correct and I'm hoping to get the rest of the scene modeled and then into substance painter for texturing over the next week!
  • Democles
    Offline / Send Message
    Democles polycounter lvl 7
    @Go2frag Nice job so far! Your break down of the modular assets in the scene seems pretty spot on. I'm working on the same challenge and realized halfway through blockout that the left wall is actually 3 "units" wide instead of 4. You can see a tiny bit of a fourth panel hiding behind the dark column on the left. The 4th panel also makes the wall symmetrical and helps with the proportions of the wall segments.
  • Go2frag
    Offline / Send Message
    Go2frag polycounter lvl 6
    @Democles Good job on blockout! I had some issues with it too. I didnt even notcie 4th module :) but I would rather stay with 3 since it's work quite good with location proportions. I want to focus more on creating assets, I need some practice. I probably did some stretching too if I remember properly, its not fit 100% concept :) 

My blockout proportions looks like this now:

Hmm since it's game art I would rather make it logic place where I can really walk/play than moving objects to fit 100% concept, we only have one reference too.  Then I can make screenshot/video from couple places. I would like to hear your opinion too, honestly Im not much experienced in that field :)

Which game engine are you going to use?

About ceiling, I haven't think about it yet, could be some mirror effect probably like in concept.

Good to know someone else making ame challange too, keep up good work :)
  • Sequencer
    Offline / Send Message
    Sequencer triangle
    @jnosis looking good. I was looking at your models and what is the reason that everything except the top of the handle is connected? are other parts connected because otherwise you'd have more problems with the uvs (at least that's what I just now noticed on my model, that I screwed up with some of the uvs because of having a lot of the stuff not connected).

I'm gonna try another handpainted one where I try to get as close to the concept as possible. Here's my low poly:

Pretty simple, I decided to go with geometry for round things on the hamer but not with the leather around the handle because I thought that would be easier to fake. In the end I think I should've just gone all the way. Also just realized I did waste quite a lot of space in my uvs but just gonna run with it now, hope to get texturing done by tomorrow at the latest.
  • jnosis
    Offline / Send Message
    jnosis null
    @Sequencer The reason the hammer head and the handle are separate is because it's just easier to model and uv if i connected them i could get some weird geo when them being connected doesn't matter since you wont really see under the hammer. and if i wanted to make it more convincing i would paint under the hammer to make it seem connected. in the end it just helps alot with uv's ill post my uv maps in with this post so you could see what im talking about.
    ill also be posting my sketchfab again, its updated now with a couple of stuff fixed but  i'm calling it with this one i've had fun and i really learned alot from this challenge. i look forward to posting and doing more in the futuremodel

• Sequencer
    Offline / Send Message
    Sequencer triangle
    Not too happy with how it turned out but calling it here. Made a lot of mistakes with the topology/uvs and going like halfway with the symmetry, that didn't really work out as planned. But in the end I wanted to see how it would turn out with a tighter time budget and for that I think it turned out alright enough.

model
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Just wanted to update everyone that the new voting thread for May and June is now up here:

http://polycount.com/discussion/186388/monthly-environment-art-challenge-concept-thread-may-june-2017#latest

So please drop by and vote or add your own concepts for the next Challenge!
  • Mahelix
    Offline / Send Message
    Mahelix polycounter lvl 6
    Hello, I discovered Polycount recently and this is my first time participating in a challenge. :p

Here are the hammers, ready for texturing :

1st hammer

2nd hammer

3rd hammer

Unfortunately, since I totally suck at drawing or handpainted texturing, I think I'll rather texture them in a more "realistic" fashion.

• GuanAndOnly
    Offline / Send Message
    GuanAndOnly polycounter lvl 6
    @plord + @s1dK hey guys, your models look fantastic and I was just wondering how did you come up with the details on the legs? I'm having a hard time adding detail to it because I know nothing about machinery. :<

• plord
    Offline / Send Message
    plord polycounter lvl 5
    Hi guys, I've managed to finish the second turret till the end of april haha :D Only two shots for now, rest must be photoshopped a bit, will post more later.
    Overall I'm glad of the final result but there are few things that I've noticed/learned doing this asset: 1. went to big for it, few texture sets, didn't know what scale it has till I started to texture it. 2. LOTS of parts are over-engineered, mostly because I wanted to check how much I can push them doing alpha-details in SP. 3. Left too many details do stamp them in SP rather than make them on highpoly haha (It would be muuch faster to bake stuff down than stamp them in painter).
    Hope some of this stuff will help somebody, for sure it will help me :D
    Let me know guys what You think about it :)

@CrimsonIndustry thanks man! And as s1dK said, dont rush (the hard part :D), have fun. Do the blockout first, then detail it piece by piece and the whole awesome thing will be ready in no time! :D
    @Navi271 Looking awesome man! Yeah, for some shots the gun looks very heavy in comparison to the base. Really like the distribution of details though and cant wait for the final result.
    @GuanAndOnly Thanks! I was looking for references (photos and videos on youtube how it works) of support legs for cranes, artillery gun trucks, caterpillar machines, there is a lot of references that can be blended together and suit your work. Have fun!

EDIT: less flare-dependent, more Matrix feel <marmoset> :D

• CrimsonIndustry
    Offline / Send Message
    CrimsonIndustry polycounter lvl 8
    So looks like mine is a pretty much a last-minute submission. I did take inspiration from the models from this thread, but don't think I borrowed too heavily, hopefully. I did ditch some of the components present in the original art such as the tubing underneath the cowl and a lot of the detail in the upper half due to time and ability constraints. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get it in a game engine so this is a shot from Substance Designer.

Frankly, I'm not really satisfied with the result for a few reasons:
    • The design seems a bit overdetailed with parts stuck on haphazardly and not really functional
    • Only one shot provided made it hard (for me) to accurately judge how to model it
    • I don't have the faintest idea what I'm doing in Substance Designer, so the textures didn't turn out at all like I had hoped
    • I'm not skilled enough to do detail modeling and make sure all the individual pieces "flow" well together
    I still have much to learn, but a reoccurring issue is that I don't really know what to learn or what direction to orient myself, so it's slower going than it probably should be.

However, I do still feel I learned a lot and that it'll be useful in the future. I'd appreciate and and all critiques, no matter how blunt, so I know what else I need to learn going forward.
  • melisac
    Offline / Send Message
    melisac polycounter lvl 8
    Posting this a little past the deadline! Definitely could've worked on this some more as I'm missing a lot of props but I'd call it mostly completed. It's nothing much in comparison to a lot of the other works but I'm overall happy with this being my first attempt at fully texturing a scene.
    I'm hoping to invest in a graphics card for the next challenge so I can render it out in Unreal but for now here's a 3DS Max render.

@fsanin every time I look back at your scene I'm blown away! Definitely a source of motivation for me to see where I can improve and what to do differently!
  • Navi271
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's where I'm stopping for the night. I want to keep working on this, add wear and tear to it, and put it in either UE4 or Marmoset Toolbag3. I kept running into errors with map baking, specifically with the normal map. I was also able to scale up the base of the turret a bit to make it look a little more stable. Here are a couple Substance Painter Iray renders. It uses 4k maps, high poly totaled over 3.5 million tris, and the low poly was just under 10k tris. 

@plord That turned out fantastic, nice work! I like all the details you added. The materials are really nice too.

@CrimsonIndustry  It seems like you have the process figured out, now you just need practice to refine your skills to do bigger and better things. Substance Designer can be overwhelming that's for sure. I have mostly used Painter and start with materials included with it. I can edit them enough to get mostly what I want, but I haven't made many models that need super unique materials.
  • TravisUnderwood
    Offline / Send Message
    TravisUnderwood polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everyone I manage to get the hammers as complete as I could for this challenge period. I feel like I could have taken more time in unwrapping the models and texturing. I didn't get any feed back from my first upload so I had some fellow modelers take a look at and critique the models and the textures. I do enjoy what I managed to finish and what everybody else turned out. They all look great.

@Mahelix The hammers look awesome. The Texture on the first hammer head comes across great. I would like to see any reference you used. Can't wait to see the textures.

model

model

model