Home Counter-Strike: GO

USP-S || Phobos

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Apel polycounter lvl 6
This thread is created to show my progress on the third weapon finish of the "Phobos" series for the USP-S pistol.
I will post as much as I could, so you people could notice all the changes and maybe learn something from it, or just observe. It's been a great expirience on the sci-fi contest, so I'd like to keep this tradition up.

This time I took some inspiration from the "Rogue: One" (Star Wars Story) movie, which I liked pretty much. So I'd like to mix some areas of an old-school sci-fi (70-80s) style with a some of new meta. I've noticed some upcomming teaser of the "Blade Runner 2", which I used to like too. So I'll try to land closer to them.

If you know nothing of this series, I'd like to mention that this series is based on the such movies as:
"Blade Runner", "Star Wars", "Alien", "Dune".
And some old-school sci-fi style of 70-80s generally, with the references from the internet.

Replies

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    I would like to start from cutting the original mesh onto an elements which I could manage in future. It would help me to work on this.
    Let's start from it:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Let's start from this element:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Some concept for the first element and picking a colors for it:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Fine, that concept used to look alittle bit heavy, so I've changed it to a more natural view and picked the same colors again:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Some elements for this shape and a first workbench test:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Some progress:

Also some even more progress on the illuminators and a glowing things:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    More progress and a first ingame test:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    More work on some of elements:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    It took a pretty while for me to pick where exactly I want to move with the handle at this time. Alot of problems with the AO map that overlays texture and the shitty UVM, plus there's some really small pixels amount to make it look good in my opinion. Got to make an additional layer to decimate the AO ingame.
    Here's some variations of the handle that I made, and the last one I picked as a base to move(Going to work more on it, it's just a first step):

UPD: Some small touch on it

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Progress on the other elements:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Development of the backward side of the upper element:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    I'm always trying to focus at the things that surrounds me. No matter if I'm watching at the creations of the human hands or the nature being... It's always fun to me, understanding it's essence.
    There's some new heating radiator in my room and I like the shape of it pretty much. Every time I'm watching on it, I'm feeling some cool atmoshpere. Maybe it reminds me of the contrast between a future and the past, I'm not sure if I can explain correctly, but I thought it would be a cool idea to add something same to my weapon finish... So here's some spot on it:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    More update on the current process. Alot of details polished and improved. Currently working on the silencer. Got to work on the few more elements and polish complete ones too. Some of elements on this screens are still just a rather conceptual than final, so please notice it:

• Paul_Cupald
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul_Cupald vertex
    You are a very proficient artist that you can tell by looking at your work. The fact that you devoted so much time into updating this tread with each change and step you made towards the final version is stunning. After gazing at your final step for a few minutes I came up with few ideas that could help you out creating a flawless texture or at least aiming towards it. of course it is own perspective but here is what I think;

1)The grip of the pistol does not work out for me. I would rework the general structure of the shapes so they could work better with each other. What I am trying to say is that those shapes are inconsistent and it brings unbalance with it which burdens the eye.
    picture for preview:
    http://i.imgur.com/u2nE9Ak.jpg

2)The three bars/lights which are narrow would work better if you would straighten them .

again those are my notions on how you could develop your design even forward make your own inferences and act upon them.
  • Ezikyl
    Offline / Send Message
    Ezikyl polycounter lvl 4
    It's quite fascinating to look into the your design process! I find it interesting how you split the gun up into different areas and work on them separately - I guess it lets you better focus on developing one area at a time, though for me I feel it is better to work on the gun as a whole, so that I'm working on the whole of the gun. I think your approach also works quite well, as your it's oozing with detail and looks quite amazing! If there's one thing I'm not so sure about, it's the "Fear me" on the slide - it doesn't fit so well for me. Otherwise, it's terrific!
  • Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    I came with the new update on the silencer, here's some elements for it (I'm sorry that details aren't a high quality and detailed pretty much, but I can explain why: all of this details is pretty useless to detail even more, since they going to be resampled and scaled into a very small sizes, so no need to create a factūra for it, just a some macro):

You are a very proficient artist that you can tell by looking at your work. The fact that you devoted so much time into updating this tread with each change and step you made towards the final version is stunning. After gazing at your final step for a few minutes I came up with few ideas that could help you out creating a flawless texture or at least aiming towards it. of course it is own perspective but here is what I think;

1)The grip of the pistol does not work out for me. I would rework the general structure of the shapes so they could work better with each other. What I am trying to say is that those shapes are inconsistent and it brings unbalance with it which burdens the eye.
    picture for preview:
    http://i.imgur.com/u2nE9Ak.jpg

2)The three bars/lights which are narrow would work better if you would straighten them .

again those are my notions on how you could develop your design even forward make your own inferences and act upon them.
    Thank you very much Paul for you comment. It makes me happy to read such a things. I would take a note of your suggestions. But I'm not sure if I would follow them out. Talking even more about the grip, I would like to notice that I designed it to fit to a hand ingame, when you will use the animation - you would notice that the fingers and the parts of the hand perfectly fits to it. It took really a long time to pick a good decision, which will transfer enough yellow color to the LOD model and made it's silhouette familiar to a player and easy recognizable on the macro level of detail.
    Talking about the bars - I would like to notice that they are maden this way to fit previous conception and to look like a same set compare to the AWP and M4A4 design.
    Ezikyl said:
    It's quite fascinating to look into the your design process! I find it interesting how you split the gun up into different areas and work on them separately - I guess it lets you better focus on developing one area at a time, though for me I feel it is better to work on the gun as a whole, so that I'm working on the whole of the gun. I think your approach also works quite well, as your it's oozing with detail and looks quite amazing! If there's one thing I'm not so sure about, it's the "Fear me" on the slide - it doesn't fit so well for me. Otherwise, it's terrific!
    Thank you Ezikyl. I'm glad that you enjoy my decision to show the progress. I hope it could help someone or at least me to grow. Separating model by pieces helps me to view it as a something new, as a different shape for a design. It also helping me to keep a much better quality, so I perceive the each element I cut as a new "skin" to design. Comparing them together making an amazing results to observe. Polishing at the final stage helps to get back to the whole gun design. You just need to draw a concept for yourself at first to keep your eyes on the macro composition. Talking about a "Fear me" signature - I want to mention that I'm trying to add some individuality to a weapon by it. I want to make it feel more personal, as the weapon owner used to scrape this phrase there with his own interest and feelings(So it would feel more natural and realistic).
    I'm sure from my view that this signature is adding more dark atmosphere to the perception of this skin in the players imagination, the way I supposed people to feel it... As the "Φόβος" name I used to pick from the greek is also associated with a "Fear Me" signature. I used to more a more psychological factor to it, rather than a designer factor.
  • Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    More work on the silencer. New lamps and new areas of blocks and circuit boards. There's a few things and last side left to do on it:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Some polishing and the final small elements left to do, showing some random spot:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Finally released, here's a link on the steam workshop:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846086868

And some images:

• Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    Posting some texture sheet to view:
  • sboxle
    Offline / Send Message
    sboxle polycounter lvl 4
    Hot damn dude, this is some serious texturing right here. Great job. Cool to see the process
  • leopoldo6
    Some nice looking concepts here!
  • sadiablo
    Offline / Send Message
    sadiablo null
    I like those little touches to this model like a scale on silencer goes on to 69 and a button for prefire. Can you say what it says under "Listen to this track:" ? It's hard to see it there. And one thing from me, i think that "u suk" would fit better than "u suck" :D
    Great job man :)
  • varunvtkr
  • Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    sboxle said:
    Hot damn dude, this is some serious texturing right here. Great job. Cool to see the process
    leopoldo6 said:
    Some nice looking concepts here!
    varunvtkr said:
    Sweet!  <3

Thank you guys.

sadiablo said:
    I like those little touches to this model like a scale on silencer goes on to 69 and a button for prefire. Can you say what it says under "Listen to this track:" ? It's hard to see it there. 
    Great job man :)
     That area says: m|_|53 - m4p 0f pr0bl3m471qu3
  • Apel
    Offline / Send Message
    Apel polycounter lvl 6
    hey, design has been updated with the normal mapping:

• steelman90
    Offline / Send Message
    steelman90 polycounter lvl 4
    Mind if you do a quick tutorial about it? a quick video would help a lot, thanks!
  • maxfer35
    Apel said:
    Posting some texture sheet to view:Apel said:
    Finally released, here's a link on the steam workshop:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=846086868

And some images:

Personally, I was inspired by the skin AWP | Asiimov, in the game it looks cool!

Good day. this is a very decent job, the skin looks absolutely amazing. you have good skills. Personally, I was inspired by the skin AWP | Asiimov, in the game it looks cool!