Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AG Pitstop Environment

triangle
Offline / Send Message
Dovydas triangle
Hi Polycount! First time posting here. :smile: I'd like to share an environment I finished up recently. The idea I had for this was a futuristic antigravity craft pitstop or a servicing area/bay. The concept for mood and atmosphere is inspired by the talented Fabio Barretta Zungrone, however I ended up reinterpreting most of the props. The main tools I used for this were 3ds Max, Zbrush, Substance and UE4. Most of the modeling done using the proboolean dynamesh workflow.

A little cinematic I put together for this: 

Here's a small breakdown of different elements used:

Would be great to hear your thoughts. Thanks for checking this out!

Replies

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Great job, really like it.
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Feels good man, I like the large shapes mixed in with some of the smaller objects that carry a good amount of noise. Nice mix for the eye to float around, and i love the last render scene shot. Good comp
  • Dovydas
    Offline / Send Message
    Dovydas triangle
    @littleclaude Appreciated!
    @shabba Glad you like it man, means a lot.
  • Kanni3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Wicked job. Love the angles of these shots too!
  • gsokol
    Kick ass!

I think you just have a lot of fun shapes going on in here.  I'm a big fan of the video.  Some great movement in there, and the music really helps set a mood.  Very impressive.

Few crits for ya:

I don't immediately get a good sense of scale.  I think the bridge with the railing helps, but particularly in a few shots in the video, it took me a minute to get an idea of scale.  I would suggest getting some smaller scale things at ground level to really sell it.  Maybe some doorways, maybe some boxes/crates sitting on the edge of the platform.  Will just make that initial read much clearer.

In the video, It would be nice to have some subtle swaying of the ship.  The fact that it stays completely still is a little jarring.  

The front end of the ship maybe comes off a bit unrefined to me.  Specifically in the first shot, where there isn't a Zero G Corp decal..it looks a bit plain.  maybe another decal on that side, as well as some other small ways to break up the large carbon fiber surface will add a bit more sophistication to the ship.

• Dovydas
    Offline / Send Message
    Dovydas triangle
    @Kanni3d Thanks man!
    @gsokol Noted! Thanks for the constructive feedback. Regarding the ship, it is actually floating up and down a little bit, and has some heatwave particles coming off of it, but this a bit difficult to see in the video and could be more apparent, and I completely agree it could use a bit more detail, however this was not my primary focus of the project, but I am hoping to do some studies to get better at these. Thanks again, stuff like this helps me improve. :smile:
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Agree on the scale thing, it seems like small scale details are missing that would give relations.
    Also it does not look like a pit stop, more like you put the car in a random future back alley, there are no tools, no machines, no 'tires' no engines (no pitstop people) etc that would give any indication of a pitstop. There is not even a ladder to mount the vehicle. Its also a very thin alley to race. The backdrop looks cool and atmospheric but the vehicle design does not hold up so well imo, it feels very plain, all in all it looks nice still and I like the camera angles. 
  • macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    For me the DOF is really strong at 0:12 but the overall thing is really great, scifi powa, gg ;)
    You could sell the content at the unreal marketplace: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace
  • AnimatedStruggle
    Woah!!!! This looks really pleasing to the eye! From the level of detail all the way down to the texturing and lighting! I must agree that it is missing a few details that would really help make this look like a pit stop/ servicing station. I understand that the setting is futuristic, but in order to pull off the servicing station look, we must see the tools that'll be used to work on this vehicle. Would the vehicle need to still be floating or can it be powered down for workers to gain access? Of course, none of that would be necessary if machines took over the whole process. Then we'd just see metal arms working on it from the walls, and more people out of work.   :#
    All in all, I believe this scene is still successful, but without those details it looks more like an awesome parking bay rather than a pit stop. I can still see this succeeding as a level or an environment for an awesome animated short. Great Work!
    How long did this take you to do? (The scene setup and cinematic?)
  • Dovydas
    Offline / Send Message
    Dovydas triangle
    @Shrike Thanks for the input! I agree, there is always room for improvement, but mind you this was done on a tight time schedule :smiley: However, I might revisit this during my free time, and add more elements that make the function more clear, because honestly, the idea came in pretty late during the process.
    @macoll Good idea! Something to look into for the future. Would probably need some more assets to make it into an actual pack though. :smile:
    @AnimatedStruggle Thanks man! I appreciate it. The metal arms idea sounds cool! I am thinking of revisiting this as mentioned, getting some great feedback! To answer the time question, I was given around a month to do it from scratch, but that's working on and off and in between my other courses. :smile:
  • Stu2Prof
    Offline / Send Message
    Stu2Prof polycounter lvl 6
    Would absolutely love to see a breakdown of how you went about lighting this. Great stuff!
  • Cav73
    Offline / Send Message
    Cav73 polycounter lvl 11
    I definitely like the style. The still images almost look like concept images, which in a way is very cool.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Nice mood you got there :) Had to check out the thread to see if this was concept art or not, very nice :)
  • Dovydas
    Offline / Send Message
    Dovydas triangle
    @studtoprof Thanks! The lighting consists of 2 directional lights, one from the top and a warmer one from the bottom with no shadows. Skylight to brighten up dark areas, and a few reflection probes stacked on top of each other with different radii, that's a special case though. On top of that there are many static spotlights with fake volumetrics (alpha planes), as well as a few point lights to fake bounced light with Min Roughness cranked up so that they do not create highlights. Lighting was tough on this one because of the narrow alleyway surrounded by massive walls.
    @Cav73 Thank you!
    @Snefer Thanks! :) Means a lot coming from you.
  • JLHGameArt
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    Thought this was concept art at first. Really good work dude.

Only tiny little thing I would say is that in your video you go from standstill shot to standstill shot, it's better if the camera is already in motion when you switch to that shot. But this is me nit picking, I think it's brilliant.