Home Technical Talk

3ds max modeling problem

MujtabaYousuf
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
MujtabaYousuf polycounter lvl 3
helo guys.
Wanted to ask a question about modeling in 3ds max. DO u guys model some details seperately. For e.g
if i am creating a ak-47, do i have to add additional detail seperatley like the barrel or scope in a sniper rifle?
and if the answer is yes then how do i attach it and make it the part of a whole object?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    why do you want it as one object? are you talking abput high or lowpoly?
  • Crimzan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan polycounter lvl 9
    Hello,

Yes, you do that. Creating a big model without using many different primitives can make things unnecessary difficult.
    So you would basically use a cylinder to get the base shape of the scope, and then use a box to create this attachment-stuf below the scope itself (no weapon expert here, but I hope you know what I mean ;) )
    With the scope selected, in the Editable Poly (or with the Edit Poly modifier), you can just click "Attach" in the modify panel, and then click on the attachment-part. This combines both single objects to one bigger mesh. Note that these are still seperate elements, so in the Elements subobject mode you can select them easily and even detach them if you want to work on the scope or the attachment on its own.

And you do the same step for the whole gun, just click the gun, and in the Modify panel click "Attach" and select the completed scope.

Keep in mind that it does not connect vertices!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now i wonder, what could make it complicated?
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan said:
    Hello,

Yes, you do that. Creating a big model without using many different primitives can make things unnecessary difficult.
    So you would basically use a cylinder to get the base shape of the scope, and then use a box to create this attachment-stuf below the scope itself (no weapon expert here, but I hope you know what I mean ;) )
    With the scope selected, in the Editable Poly (or with the Edit Poly modifier), you can just click "Attach" in the modify panel, and then click on the attachment-part. This combines both single objects to one bigger mesh. Note that these are still seperate elements, so in the Elements subobject mode you can select them easily and even detach them if you want to work on the scope or the attachment on its own.

And you do the same step for the whole gun, just click the gun, and in the Modify panel click "Attach" and select the completed scope.

Keep in mind that it does not connect vertices!
    this made my day. Thanks! :)
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    why do you want it as one object? are you talking abput high or lowpoly?
    No i was not talking about high or low. I was talking about attaching them. Anyways i got my answer. Thanks buddy! :)

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well you have to be talking about either a high or a lowpoly/realtime mesh, dependent on the case and why you want to attach them, my answer would have been different.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah. I was going to add some more info that might help the OP. But they're being so dismissive, is it even worth the effort? I'm not sure any more.
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    well you have to be talking about either a high or a lowpoly/realtime mesh, dependent on the case and why you want to attach them, my answer would have been different.
    Yeah. I was going to add some more info that might help the OP. But they're being so dismissive, is it even worth the effort? I'm not sure any more.

Sorry for being dismissive. Open to answers now. :)
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to answers on what? what are you working on? In which stage are you? Will this be for realtime use or not.

yes you can attach things, yes this can be good. Or bad dependent on the case.
  • MujtabaYousuf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox said:
    to answers on what? what are you working on? In which stage are you? Will this be for realtime use or not.

yes you can attach things, yes this can be good. Or bad dependent on the case.
    I am making a tank. I wanted to know can I convert the other mesh into highpoly with turbosmooth and then attach.?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes you can, but you will lose your basemesh, you will work destructively.
    ideally you would want to work as non destructive as you can, just to be able to step back in case of changes.

so why do you want to merge them together on the highpoly? to clear up your scene? You can use layers or groups. if you want parts to move together, say for animation you can parent/link them.