Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Redo Art Test from 2 years ago

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
FancyMug polycounter lvl 7

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Two years ago I did an art test for a job that I didn't get =(  I decided to redo the art test with mostly the same rules as last time. I took a little bit of extra time for my 2nd attempt. Maybe about an hour or two extra. 

[Rules] Complete a HP model within 8 hours. Two References are provided. 

[My thoughts] I'm much happier with my 2nd attempt. My topology is a lot cleaner and my edge flow work is a bit better. There still some pinching happening in certain places, but not too much. Also, if I wanted to bake this to a LP model the edges would need to be A LOT softer. I learned how resetting the X-Form can really mess with the edges. The proportions of the model don't feel exactly right as well. The little arm piece on the side is too thin/small. Overall I'm happier with it, but still have a lot to learn. It was still challenging to make the model but I felt a lot more confident in my abilities the 2nd time around.

Any feedback or pointers on my results are welcomed, or you can tell me to quit modeling and become a professional urinal puck maker :smiley: 

Replies

• JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    This is a really cool idea, I even saw a forum or maybe it was Adobe doing a challenge of remaking old work. I've saved the reference as I really like the shapes so I may give it a go too. Maybe try an attempt using the double turbo smooth method, cuts considerable time with adding support edges. You're only relying them for really certain areas of detail. 
  • FancyMug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FancyMug polycounter lvl 7
    JamesMeader - Thanks for the feedback :) Yea the double turbo smooth method can can definitely be faster. It was fun making this model without the pressure of someone waiting for it. 

Rendered the HP in Marmoset for better lighting. Also edited the little arm piece on the side.