Home Technical Talk

Brusherator for Photoshop CC+, a panel with brushes! and more

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
kritskiy polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone,
I've finished an extension for PS I've been working on for AGES
It's a panel for brush presets, tool presets and stuff.

Here's the teaser!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIleQLZ3sIA&feature=youtu.be&ab_channel=SergeyKritskiy

The goal with this extension wasn't to make this beautiful panel more comfy 

but rather try to take a slightly different approach, more similar to what, *cough*, more modern 2d painting packages do.
My problems with Brush Presets and Tool Presets windows were that with previews turned on the brush lists are huge and without the previews you only have brush names (well, for tool presets you don't even have the previews). 
So I thought to separate previews and buttons. For tools I'm familiar with I can have tiny text buttons or tiny tip thumbnail buttons. For brushes I use less frequently I can have larger stroke and custom thumbnails.

Features:
- Several types of buttons: tiny text buttons, larger auto-generated and custom thumbnail buttons;
- Possibility to keep your Brush presets and Tool presets on the panel;
- Additional optional panel for larger previews;
- Brush size is inherited no matter what brush size is in the preset (and this can be overridden for particular presets);
- Alternatives: a different variant of the preset on the same button;
- Shelves for different tasks;
- Hotkeys to toggle Brusherator visibility and Alternatives.

Several more gifs:

Shelves:

Alternatives:

The extension is available on my Gumroad or Cubebrush
It's for CC and above only, CS6 and below aren't supported (sorry).

If you have any questions I'll answer them here or you can write me to kritskiy.sergey@gmail.com or https://twitter.com/ebanchiki

Sergey.

P.S. also, to celebrate this, Perspective Tools 2 is discounted by 35% for two weeks!

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    This looks amazing! Nice work on the presentation video too.

Its been a while since I last bought something on Gumroad, but didnt they support Paypal? Not seeing an option for it atm, but was fairly I've used it there before...
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz, thanks :>
    I believe Paypal is available on Gumroad if you're logged in. And it's the same for Cubebrush.
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Oh snap! Hahaha I can totally sympathize with the crying birds, massive improvement on photoshops weakest point.
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    labmonkey polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome, except when I try to edit a button with the Auto-stroke, or Auto-tip preset it tells me Error: Illegal argument - Line 1273

It says the same thing if I switch to the text preset, but the text still displays after i hit ok. For either of the two thumbnails its just a broken image icon. :sweat:

(edit: This is on cc 2015)
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    labmonkey said:
    Awesome, except when I try to edit a button with the Auto-stroke, or Auto-tip preset it tells me Error: Illegal argument - Line 1273
    It says the same thing if I switch to the text preset, but the text still displays after i hit ok. For either of the two thumbnails its just a broken image icon. :sweat:
    Can you please drop me an email to kritskiy.sergey@gmail.com with your system/ps version/step by step what you do ? And I'll fix this
  • TooLzor
    Offline / Send Message
    TooLzor polycounter lvl 10
    Nice work man, looks pretty slick!
  • labmonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    labmonkey polycounter lvl 9
  • Macrow
    Offline / Send Message
    Macrow polycounter lvl 8
  • LC_Finch
    Offline / Send Message
    LC_Finch null
    Will there be an easy way to make a selection of multiple tools and add overrideSize to the name ? Almost all of the tools I use are dependent on brush size, in fact It would be nice if we could toggle between size overriding or not as and when we please.
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    LC_Finch said:
    Will there be an easy way to make a selection of multiple tools and add overrideSize to the name ? Almost all of the tools I use are dependent on brush size, in fact It would be nice if we could toggle between size overriding or not as and when we please.
    Yep, I'll add an option to override size inheritance to particular tools and a global switch, sometime around Tuesday!
  • LC_Finch
    Offline / Send Message
    LC_Finch null
    kritskiy said:
    LC_Finch said:
    Yep, I'll add an option to override size inheritance to particular tools and a global switch, sometime around Tuesday!
    That will be awesome! 
  • Deadly Nightshade
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade polycounter lvl 10
    Impressive.
    I've seen similiar tool WIP's in the Technical Art -thread and always wondered how the heck you decode the ABR format (it's an ugly, messy and BINARY file format - because Adobe is awesome and like things like that -_- ).
    I was tempted to decode it myself but am kinda busy atm with other tech art stuff.

Good job on Brusherator!
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    There is another guy working on a brush extension, as well.  
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    Deadly Nightshade said:
    I've seen similiar tool WIP's in the Technical Art -thread and always wondered how the heck you decode the ABR format (it's an ugly, messy and BINARY file format - because Adobe is awesome and like things like that -_- ).
    I was tempted to decode it myself but am kinda busy atm with other tech art stuff. 
    Thanks!
    Yep, Derrick Barth is doing a different brush manager. I didn't even bother trying to decode TPL/ABR, I'm not into these kinds of pleasures plus I'm not a proper programmer. Derrick however decoded them (I think)
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    Kritskiy - you are a programmer you made Perspective Tools, don't listen to this guy he knows what he is doing  :)
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    Brusherator 1.1 is online!

• Actions may be placed on a panel as buttons
    • Flyout menu (CC2014+) — striped small thing on the right of the panel
    • You can select shelves from flyout menu
    • Option to toggle brush size inheritance for all buttons (default: size is inherited)
    • Option to toggle names visible on image buttons (default: off)
    • Option to close a panel after button click (default: off)
    • Moving/resizing buttons in Edit Mode won't trigger them
    • Button size ignores Photoshop UI font size option
    • "Name on the panel " field is available for all types of buttons (so you could type a name for image button)
    • "Use preset size" checkbox if you want to override brush size inheritance for specific tool
    • "Select Preset(s)" dialog is taller
    • Name filter field in "Select Preset(s)" dialog is available on CC2015+ on OSX (may be slow!)
    • Brush selection is faster on Windows
    • You can open Brusherator data folder from flyout menu (for backups)
    • Current shelf is visible
    • Fixed Brushes lose sensitivity some WIndows users had

Actions:

Size inheritance on/off:

Show names on the panel:

Hide on selection + hotkey to get the panel back:

• kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    This week I'm going to finish 1.2!

creating new buttons from current tool or defining brush/tool preset from image:

and finally moving several buttons at once:

yaaay
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    When creating a new button, can I not make something a new brush from an existing brush ? I understand tool preset and brush presets and actions ? You're tools are great but throw a bit of a curve ball for me anyhow to understand :)
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    When creating a new button, can I not make something a new brush from an existing brush ? I understand tool preset and brush presets and actions ? You're tools are great but throw a bit of a curve ball for me anyhow to understand :)
    There's quite a long manual here, or it wasn't enough?
    What do you mean exactly by «not make something a new brush from an existing brush»? The buttons on BT are 'links' to the tools you have in Tools Presets / Brush Presets / Actions. In 1.2 I'm also adding an ability to create new brushes from BT itself.
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    kritskiy said:
    There's quite a long manual here, or it wasn't enough?
    What do you mean exactly by «not make something a new brush from an existing brush»? The buttons on BT are 'links' to the tools you have in Tools Presets / Brush Presets / Actions. In 1.2 I'm also adding an ability to create new brushes from BT itself.
    Why do I need to select a preset, for for example I create a Text button, isn't a text button a label for a brush ?
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    Why do I need to select a preset, for for example I create a Text button, isn't a text button a label for a brush ?
    You make buttons for your existing presets, current tool is irrelevant (as for 1.1, as I mentioned). So when you create text buttons, you're right, those are labels for your existing presets.
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    It sound as if I need an existing brush or tool preset ? If correct, I think I may have mis-understood this tool.
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    It sound as if I need an existing brush or tool preset ? If correct, I think I may have mis-understood this tool.
    Yes, it does need existing presets. I presume that if you're an artist you have some tools you're working with.
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    This is extremely helpful, although you could have dividers when adding brushes or actions they are divided up into the sections ?
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    This is extremely helpful, although you could have dividers when adding brushes or actions they are divided up into the sections ?
    You can organise the sections as you like, just move the buttons in the order you want, use different images and color labels as thumbnails

• kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    1.2 update is available, Yay!
    • Move several buttons at once
    • Copy or move brushes between shelves
    • Option to show shelves as tabs
    • Create new tool and brush presets directly from Brusherator
    • Rename and duplicate shelves
    • Brusherator Plus: a second panel for more tools!
    • Update current preset from Flyout menu
    • More scripts for power users
    • New buttons are added under the cursor (when added from RMB menu/hotkey)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozMunN7TzPI&ab_channel=SergeyKritskiy
  • Trevor_Dennis
    How does this compare with BrushBox?  A quick look at the video shows what looks like a nicer UI, but is problem free on Windows 10?
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    How does this compare with BrushBox?  A quick look at the video shows what looks like a nicer UI, but is problem free on Windows 10?
    I think we're aimed to slightly different workflows and approaches.
    I think BrushBox is more like a advanced version of current RMB-menu: you can place brushes and tools into subfolders, it automatically shows all your tools and brushes, it updates the list of tools if you switch between abr/tpl files: it's an advanced brush and tools manager.
    My goals wasn't to improve the Brush Presets window and not to manage presets, I wanted to make something you can find in 3d editors or in Adobe Configurator: custom palettes with the tools you want at specific moment for specific purposes: you can move them freely as you like, you can have some tools larger and some of them smaller, you can assign custom thumbnails to them, you can place Actions and Scripts along with tools and brushes, you can switch between tool selections (shelves).
    Some people like Derrick's approach, some people like mine. Btw, in the update I'm hoping to release this week, I'm going to add several more features, polish it and get rid of some errors.
    I'm sorry that there's no trial version to try it: the world of Photoshop extensions is full of unnecessary inconveniences, Adobe doesn't help to make it better at the moment :)
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone,

Brusherator has been updated: 1.3 few weeks back introduced a lot of cool new features and enhancements and here comes 1.3.2 with  some fixes and improvements!

here's Michael Pavlovich using Brusherator:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB0ahDl-gFo

Also, a new documentation website with more examples, gallery, use cases and stuff

Get it on my Gumroad or Cubebrush

Cheers,
    Sergey
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    New update! It's now possible to add Photoshop menu items and text labels on the panel, the panel works much faster, it's possible to use hotkeys to select brushes with new History panel, YAY

And a video, explaining new features

Get Brusherator on Gumroad or on Cubebrush
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    The first Brusherator was a tool endorsed by the illuminati, one eye; lucky for us the update is no longer endorsed by the illuminati.

Autoback up to the cloud would be great, I know one can do this though their own means but it's a suggestion ;)
  • kritskiy
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh don't worry, The Eye is still there :D

Auto-backup to which cloud? I mean if you use something like Dropbox you can simply redirect the preference folder of Brusherator to the folder you want in Dropbox
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    kritskiy said:
    Oh don't worry, The Eye is still there :D

Auto-backup to which cloud? I mean if you use something like Dropbox you can simply redirect the preference folder of Brusherator to the folder you want in Dropbox
    I understand what you mean, a sync back up would be nice within the program :):smile: