Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Star Citizen...The Starfarer: Interior video focus...ART DUMP to follow

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Trevelyan . polycounter lvl 11

Hey everyone, long time no post, this year has been a mad one. Finally found some time to post some work I completely recently, it's a showcase video I put together to highlight mostly my contribution to the Starfarer, Star Citizen's most ambitious multi-crew ship to date.

As Interior level lead, my responsibilities included: 
- full design of the ship's interior layout, ensuring aesthetic, design and gameplay appeal.
- Discovery of the visual design and aesthetic appeal of the now popular 'Misc' brand of ship that features throughout Star Citizen 
- Creation of around 95% of all textures and shaders seen throughout the interior of the ship 
- Creation of all interior areas (with the exception of the bridge) seen in this video 
- Final lighting across all interior spaces (with the exception of the bridge) 
- Technical setup of portals and vis-areas across 90% of the ship
- Cryengine level owner

Huuuuge shout out to Colin Baynard for his great work across the engineering deck and in so many other fiddly areas throughout, to Phil Howlett, Michal Kozlowski and Richard Money for the beautiful exterior of the ship which features at the start of this video and to Jay Malhotra for his awesome work on the bridge interior. Robin Karlsson also did great work in the upper deck areas of the ship and Joe Neville took care of the turret interiors and their complicated, animating mechanisms. You can find them all on Artstation or via google, I recommend checking them out :)

Anyway, here's the video I put together to showcase mostly my stuff (bar the things mentioned above):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSV5Z_fjqbc

And some additional still shots/teaser images too. I have a lot more images that I've taken throughout the ship that I'll be posting to my artstation and facebook page each week, I'll be sure to post them here too, so stay tuned!

https://www.facebook.com/matthewtrevelyanjohns.art

https://www.artstation.com/artist/trevelyan

Replies

• Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Very sexy stuff, would you be able to breakdown your texturing process?
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Deforges, yeh over the next few weeks I'll be gathering some images of the textures and shaders created that made up the 'master shader' for the entire interior, when I have those images posted I'll see if I can explain the process a little. If you can't wait until then though I recently wrote a tutorial on the same workflow for 3D world magazine, a link to a free online version can be found on my facebook art page (link at the top of the thread). Hope that helps in the meantime! 
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Trev, thank you for being willing to share your workflow! I'm excited to see what you have to share, and in the meantime will check out the magazine article. Star Citizen I'd say has a very high bar of visual fidelity and design, this sort of stuff always astounds me. Beautiful work!
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Makkon, thanks for your kind words, glad that you like it!

I've finally got around to taking a lot of images to showcase my work and have been uploading the full galleries to my artstation:

https://www.artstation.com/artist/trevelyan

But I also wanted to share a few images from each gallery here as well (I don't want to bloat this thread too much by linking them all) just for anyone that might have missed them or that have questions, I know artstation isn't accessible for questions etc so I'll try to answer what I can as this thread develops each weekend.

The first small selection of images is of the Captains private quarters, which provided a test area for me to establish and concept a distinct visual aesthetic for the interior of the ship as well as allowing me to iterate upon my early blockout concepts and designs for the architecture of the room. I tried to establish certain visual cues that would be transferable to other areas of the ship, maintaining a consistent shape and design language throughout. Hopefully as I continue to upload galleries featuring other areas of the ship I was responsible for, this will be apparent :)

• Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Lovely stuff Trevelyan - I was curious, what's your approach to the custom vertex normal chamfers? I'd assume you guys have custom Max plugins to help handle all that stuff since the default and available custom solutions are all a little bit lackluster.

I've been using a mix of Quad Chamfer and Syncviews' GetVertNormalsFromFace script, but the former relies on hard edges which generates a lot of unnecessary extra vertices, and Syncviews' script, whilst working perfectly, is kind of tedious to work with since it requires a lot of manual selection and careful preserving of any custom vert normals.
  • Trevelyan .
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Millenia, thanks for you comment, always interested to see what you're all are doing on Fractured space too, it looks ace! You're right in that we have our own scripts to help us with our custom normal workflow, we used to use a free normal script that's available from scriptspot, but normals would break a lot and re-selecting faces and re-applying the script was a nightmare as you say. Now we have the ability to make our face selections and save them, so if normals break it's easy to re-apply. Although, previously, we would model and use material ids to save polygon selections, so if normals did break, you could just 'select ID 2' say, and that would be a selection of polys ready to run the custom normal script on. I hope that makes sense...

Not many of us use quad chamfer really, in the early days none of us really found it gave better results and in a lot of cases having triangles in corners instead of quads actually looked a little nicer to us. I hope that helps answer your questions a little?
  • Millenia
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Cheers dude, always good to hear what sort of approaches people are taking with them. Wish Max would have better normal editing innately but might as well wish we'd win the lottery wouldn't we ;)
  • DeanJ
    Offline / Send Message
    DeanJ polycounter lvl 3
    These interiors look great. Especially the lighting
  • Envie
    Offline / Send Message
    Envie polycounter lvl 3
    Saw this on artstation a few days ago, looks ace dude.