Home Technical Talk

Nintendo's New Console "Switch"

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    It looks cool in the ad. Sort of like the Game Gear, the Lynx and the PSP looked cool in the ads and got my inner geek excited! Then again, nobody had an iPad back then and the devices were still big and heavy and more often than not I rather packed my walkman or CD player. I really wonder if the mobile strategy will work for them. I can't quite see myself lugging yet another device around. Maybe if you have kids? At least they're daring to try new things, gotta give them credit for that.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Kwramm said:
     At least they're daring to try new things, gotta give them credit for that.
    Not really. This 'Switch' is pretty much an iteration on the Nvidia Shield.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Aabel said:
    Kwramm said:
     At least they're daring to try new things, gotta give them credit for that.
    Not really. This 'Switch' is pretty much an iteration on the Nvidia Shield.
    Lol. First I though, "that weird game controller with a mini screen?!?" but apparently they made a new version of the "Shield", and indeed, you are right, looks like what Nintendo has in store. Although I think Nintendo will fare much better, just because they've got a track record as console deloper and it's "Nintendo's latest consolve" vs. "that odd Android console thing"
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I love it.  I think it's great that nintendo is combining their mobile and console teams to all focus on this one platform.

I love the idea of bringing my switch to a friends house to play head to head, each with our own dedicated screens.

It looks small enough to bring on a trip and function as a media consumption device along with games.

I think there are going to be other mobile features they'll reveal in the future.  I wonder if it'll have 4G.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    interesting, seems like nvidia and nintendo are working together in some way. Maybe this is the new nvidia shield. https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

also Im up for trying this, if its like £250 or less
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Hey
    that looks pretty good.
    Though I can't imagine myself playing skyrim in a bus... just cant

Skyrim's the type of game you play hours on end
    its pretty immersive

I can,
    however see games like  Wipeout series succeeding in that platform since they are hardcore racing games
    and they dont have too long of a playtime.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    fdfxd2 said:
    Hey
    that looks pretty good.

its pretty immersive
    now that would be interesting. With cramped economy I can't bring my gaming laptop for those intercontinental flights, so I had to settle for 8 hours of Civ 5 last time. But if I could play Skyrim instead....
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    fdfxd2 said:
    Hey
    that looks pretty good.

its pretty immersive

I can,
    however see games like  Wipeout series succeeding in that platform since they are hardcore racing games
    and they dont have too long of a playtime.
    You're looking at it like it's a purely handheld experience, when that's not the case. You may not want to play Skyrim on the bus, sure; but this is also a home console. You can play games like Skyrim at home, and games like Mariokart on the bus. I'm sure there will be people who use it exclusively as a handheld, and people who use it exclusively as a home console, and many many people who use it as both.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Well it offically confirmed, the tablet IS the concsole:
    http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/21/13360010/nintendo-switch-dock-power-tv-output

The dock is for power and TV output
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Well that's worrisome then - if the dock does not do any graphics computing this is gonna be a rough ride !

But then again, the article quotes a "representative", so that could basically mean any kind of PR spin. Only the actual devs are worth trusting imo.
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Joopson said:
     You can play games like Skyrim at home, and games like Mariokart on the bus. I'm sure there will be people who use it exclusively as a handheld, and people who use it exclusively as a home console, and many many people who use it as both.
    If you are at home and wanting to play Skyrim why would you do it on a device that has sacrificed power for mobility and not on a piece of hardware more appropriately spec'd for the kind of experience Skyrim is? If you are on the go why would you bring a device with such a large form factor and singular purpose? The mobile devices that the Switch competes with are not only increasingly more powerful, more portable, they are also more functional.

The Switch's problem is that at best it's second fiddle at home next to more powerful PC's and consoles with better 3rd party support. On the go it is at best second fiddle to a smaller, more portable more functional, more connected phone, and or tablet, at worst it's third after a phone and laptop.

I like Nintendo and I'll be buying a Switch for the same reason I bought a Wii U, I want to play Nintendo's games. Looking at it objectively I am just puzzled why Nintendo continues to insist on producing their own hardware, they are just not competitive in this arena in any form. This inability to compete limits the audience for their games.

What I would like to see from Nintendo, is some Nintendo branded controllers for mobile devices and Nintendo games released on those mobile devices. Mobile gaming is an area where Nintendo can be leader instead of at best second place. However to get that leadership position they need to first get onto the platforms that everybody is already on.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Aabel said:
    If you are at home and wanting to play Skyrim why would you do it on a device that has sacrificed power for mobility and not on a piece of hardware more appropriately spec'd for the kind of experience Skyrim is?
    Well, perhaps because you like Nintendo's way of doing things, and their game library, and because it's the console you chose, so you're not going to go get a PS4 just to play skyrim on slightly better settings.

It's clearly not for you; but for me, I can see the appeal of having one device that does more than just one type of experience. I think it's appealing, and while it doesn't "compete" with the PS4 or Xbox one, I really don't think it's meant to. I think it's its own thing, it's own product, not directly competing with other consoles.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Super excited for this.  Nintendo's game support for their handhelds has always been their strong suit - the 3DS has a ton of great games, but them being restricted to the small, low res 3DS has always been a sad fact.  I would've loved to have games like Phoenix Wright, Bravely Default - or the new Monster Hunter games on a large screen so my wife and I could enjoy them together.  This seems like it will do just that. 

Larger game library, more options, not a huge piece of crap.  Exactly what I've always wanted from Nintendo!  I don't need it to be as powerful as my PC or PS4, I just need something decent enough that it's fun and worthwhile enough that Nintendo will actually keep releasing games for it (unlike the Wii U).
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    pior said:
    Well that's worrisome then - if the dock does not do any graphics computing this is gonna be a rough ride !

But then again, the article quotes a "representative", so that could basically mean any kind of PR spin. Only the actual devs are worth trusting imo.
    they say it's as powerful as the xbox one.

But then again... why didn't they show anything like say...
    the witcher 3 if that's the case
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I don't know who "they"are, but they certainly lack common sense :) If there was a way to automagically scale down the Xbox One to the size of a tiny handeld ... then the Xbox one wouldn't be the size of what it is at the moment, and PC graphics cards would have a smaller form factor.

I am actually really looking forward to the day when a console manufacturer would make 60fps as part of their validation requirements for all third party devs. All of a sudden such a machine would be perceived as very powerful because of how smoothly all the games would run, even if the resolution was low and the assets were simple.

On a side note ... while I think that it is fair (even if a bit deceiving) for a trailer to show composited game screens as opposed to real game footage captured in-camera, I find it very odd and honestly borderline amateurish that the comped-in footage used here is so jittery (= probably pulled down from 60 to 24 as opposed to showing real capture footage with frame ghosting). Seeing the reflections of the TV screen magically disappear when the Skyrim footage kicks in pretty hilarious too. Yet another example of marketing material negatively affecting the perception of a product just for the sake of putting out a fancy, overproduced announcement trailer ...

• R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    I like how it looks like a cute toaster.

They've said in previous interviews that it isn't meant to compete with the wiiu or 3ds, that seems entirely false though.

As far as "The new Nvidia shield" goes. I think this is exactly what nvidia wanted, AMD has been ruling the console market for over a decade, forcing nvidia to make a lackluster handheld console. Now they can develop more resources on making sexy GPUs instead of handhelds that don't sell.

What will determine if the console is worth getting, is naturally, games though.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Ged said:
    interesting, seems like nvidia and nintendo are working together in some way. Maybe this is the new nvidia shield. https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

also Im up for trying this, if its like £250 or less
    I'm pretty sure Nvidia makes things like the Nvidia Shield as a "tech demo" of sorts, in order to get companies like Nintendo, to make products they know they can power. Same thing happened with their car technology and Tesla.

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/10/22/nvidia-corporation-scores-massive-automotive-win-w.aspx 
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If it's anything like the Tegra X1, it's the full Nvidia desktop grade architecture.
    The K1 came out in 2014 and had the GFLOP (~350) performance of the PS3/360. 
    The X1 came out in 2015 and was 1024 GFLOPS, to the PS4's 1800 and X1's 1300.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Switch was able to put out GFLOPS 1300+ docked, and clocked down when mobile.

I'm curious if this device is going to have tablet features like video streaming. 
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Not sure why everyone's bent out of shape on what the specs may or may not be. We're talking about a handheld that has, at the very least, better than wii u graphics. This should excite anyone who works in games, just from the standpoint of interaction. How many titles on steam have only local multiplayer ?Towerfall ascension, gangbeasts, lastfight to name a few. This could be that system that becomes very indie friendly.

Maybe it can't run Witcher 3 at high settings, who knows, but I have a hard time believing that's what people really want, since almost everyone has either a gaming PC, xbone or PS4. It just seems redundant to ask Nintendo to do what everyone else is doing. If they bumped the specs way up, then everyone would just complain that it's too expensive, and they "already have X console that runs it better". It's sort of a can't win situation.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    The handheld ist the whole console. Hybrid is the false name because the docking station give you no graphic power. The docking station is for Power supply and conncection to the TV. In the video you can see that the a player disconnect the Switch running Zelda on the fly which means in my opinion no Chip in the station.

The Tegra has Power but i dont think in handheld usage because power und thermal borders.
    The docking station can give you Power but cool solution is questionable.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I wouldn't worry too much about thermals, 15 watts TDP for the Tegra X1. Phones processors use closer to 3, but this is much thicker than a phone, with actual cooling vents. I'd be more concerned with the screen quality and battery life. 
  • Aabel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aabel polycounter lvl 6
    Nintendo's corporate messaging and marketing may claim that the edge isn't competing with the PS4, Xbox, PC, iOS devices, Android devices. However that is false, in the reality of the consumer market the Nintendo edge is competing for those very same dollars.

How many people are willing to pay $299 for a handheld/console hybrid that only plays games, isn't the most powerful console, and isn't the most portable and connected hand held? We'll find out, I suspect the edge will be Nintendo's Dreamcast.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Aabel said:
    Nintendo's corporate messaging and marketing may claim that the edge isn't competing with the PS4, Xbox, PC, iOS devices, Android devices. However that is false, in the reality of the consumer market the Nintendo edge is competing for those very same dollars.
    Not sure what the edge is, but nintendo doesn't have to compete. They have these popular franchises called pokemon, zelda, mario, mario kart, metroid, smash bros, etc. the benefit of multiple system seller franchises. They just have to show up with halfway decent hardware.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The power of the console doesn't matter too much as long as it can play ports without them being a shell of the original games, the Wii and WiiU ports were awful. That's where it's going to be interesting. Are the Xbox 1, PS4, and Switch going to get decent ports from the Xbox and PS 4k variants until there's actually a new generation of consoles? What's the online multiplayer experience going to be like?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I think the topic of specs is actually very interesting here because there is a rather big disconnect between : 

- What Nintendo usually does (releasing hardware more or less one generation behind the offerings of Sony and MS, but cleverly working within these limitations to deliver smooth and responsive games regardless)

- What the audience seems to expect from this new console (basically a magical portable XboxOne fitting in one's back pocket). The bullshot showing Skyrim running on a huge highres TV with no aliasing in sight plays along with this "fantasy", but in practice things will probably be quite different !

A handheld running at WiiU specs would be pretty damn great already, and my gut feeling would be that this is probably what this console is.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah I imagine it will just be portable wiiU quality games which Im happy with. Skyrim hasnt officially been confirmed yet which is funny but bethesda seem like they are going to put out something for switch.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/skyrim-not-confirmed-for-nintendo-switch-despite-a/1100-6444660/
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Aabel said:

How many people are willing to pay $299 for a handheld/console hybrid that only plays games, isn't the most powerful console, and isn't the most portable and connected hand held? We'll find out, I suspect the edge will be Nintendo's Dreamcast.
    I'd be more than happy to pay $299 for a Nintendo console that I can take with me. The specs don't matter to me as much, games like Mario Kart 8 showed that aesthetics are far more important than raw graphics power, so I don't need it to be as powerful as a PS4. 
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    The idea of having a portable two player console is amazing. I hope to see scores of single screen multiplayer games on the Switch. Now it would be killer if the Switch were able to broadcast video to other switches so only one person needs to own the game for multiplayer on multiple handhelds.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Hope they offer it in different colors.
    Maybe a Peach Mauve?
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    One thing that is very exciting is that the entirety of Nintendo's gaming development is now pinpointed to a single console. There have been so many games on the 3DS that I've wanted to play but I just haven't been able to justify getting one. Having all of their developers working for a single console is a very good thing. 
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    There have been so many games on the 3DS that I've wanted to play but I just haven't been able to justify getting one. 
    What's the justification for not getting a 3ds/2ds when theres so manyt games you want on it?

2Ds' are sub $100 these days
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMmm39_Ieec
    4gb of ram
    32 gb of internal storage
    ... mhm...

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon getting the seal of approval from Shigeru Miyamoto himself.

Switch review
    https://youtu.be/7TJ7IUNWGl4?t=300
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I see he's demonstrating with the pro controller... and not the switch controller
    Cool to see it demonstrated, but I feel like Jimmy really overacted his excitement. 
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    notman said:
    I see he's demonstrating with the pro controller... and not the switch controller
    Cool to see it demonstrated, but I feel like Jimmy really overacted his excitement. 
    I know but to be fair having Reggie Fils-Aimé set up the new Nintendo system and Jimmy being the first person on the planet to be allowed to get there hands on Zelda and for it to be demonstrated in front of Seguro Miyamoto is quite a large privilege. :)

Besides it would make pretty bad TV if he was totally non plus and said I hated games, lol :)

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, but just saying, there is an 'in between' area, where you can look excited, and not look like a child about to piss himself ;)

It was cool getting to finally see the product in action, and Jimmy definitely handles it better than Leno would have.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    The worse late night hosts on TV.  I'm skeptical about the Switch.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAW-DR_qFIM

in a nutshell "it's gonna run unreal engine 4 really well guys so it's okay!"

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    No more rumours,
    just truths.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/home/

It costs 299$ 
    and...
    no info on the specs
  • littleclaude
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    My reception cooled slightly after the event, it's all a bit expensive and the launch lineup doesn't fill me with excitement.  I'll probably get it anyway but waiting seems like the better option.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    32GB is fine. If it had a lot more, it would be much more expensive.

Nintendo figures there are going to be 2 types of owners. People who buy one big memory card and download every game, or people who buy a physical copy.

I'm still waiting for the first completely SSD based console. 
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $90 for the pro controller?!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    @Tidal Blast
    I hope those prices aren't accurate. $80-90 for a controller? What the actual #$%@.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Another joycon controller is 1/3rd the price of the console. It's like they want to encourage everyone buy the switch rather than doubling up on controllers.