Home General Discussion

Unread threads in green

Small update, long time coming. Unread threads are now green, read threads are gray.

Before/after

Sorry for the wait.

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    this is awesome!
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Nice. Could the mouseover colour not revert to grey though? Maybe just a darker shade of green. And is it just me or are the thread titles a slightly more vibrant green than the 'polycount green' used in the forum index thread titles?
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Bek said:
    Nice. Could the mouseover colour not revert to grey though? Maybe just a darker shade of green. And is it just me or are the thread titles a slightly more vibrant green than the 'polycount green' used in the forum index thread titles?
    They do seem a bit bright to me too, but it's been awhile I guess.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    does this work for color blind people?
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Kwramm said:
    does this work for color blind people?
    I dunno, at the very worst they won't be able to distinguish read from unread threads. In hindsight that would be the only reason to justify those "new" icons that were on the left of thread titles.

Not to sound cold, but it isn't worth subjecting the majority of polycount users to the clutter that those "new" icons produced just because of a minority of folks that are colour blind.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    - Mouseover should be diff color. I vote for something like blue, just because.
    - Link should turn from green to grey right away as I click on it (middle click/open in new tab). Right now I have to refresh the page first before it grays out.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    there are probably other alternatives, maybe just a less obnoxious indicator? "Design" should not be an excuse to sacrifice usability and accessibility - good design should do the opposite. Now I'm not color blind, but I do have a hard time with some of the current color choices that are all about dark and medium grays combined with thin fonts, and I know quite a few color blind artists, so I thought I'd raise the issue about accessibility.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Nice move, this makes things instantly obvious and readable !

If anything, instead of grey or any other color the mouseover could simply be ... the same color as the current color (grey or green). There is no absolute need for any extra effect.

Thank you for these updates !
  • Magihat
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this is exactly what I wanted! Thank you guys so much!
  • Eric Chadwick
    The unread text is bolder, so there is a non-color difference. But if you're colorblind, or legally blind for that matter, then you're most likely overriding the stylesheet locally anyhow.

I'll check all the site greens, I suspect many are not Polycount green.

The rollover too.

Can't do anything about the refresh issue though. The way Vanilla is serving the site, it relies on next-visit to send the Read flag. Srry.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Adjusted the site greens. Fixed the rollover and active colors. Should be good to go.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Now only if it showed last poster instead of author for threads. ;)
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Finally!!! Getting Polycount back to where it used to be. Good move.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Next step, red green and blue!

• Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Next step, red green and blue!

... ok too far back. =)
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    m4dcow said:
    Now only if it showed last poster instead of author for threads. ;)
    And bring back number of thread's pages, while we're at it.

I heard an argument that that provided instant access to only a small number of pages.
    That's true but hey, at least you could choose between going to first few pages or last page.
    That is better than not having any choice at all.

If you read some thread while being logged out then later, when you log in, you'll probably want to jump to the last page.
    But forum will bring you to first page since it doesn't know you've read it.
    Hence the need of additional clicking.

Or maybe you want to check something on first page but forum shows you the last page since you've read it earlier.

• Eric Chadwick
    All those ideas are in the wishlist sticky. But if you want to add info pls reply in there so we can keep track.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Hmmm, I'm not quite fond of this idea. I like to be able to go to the first page of a thread first. How I am supposed to do it without reading the currently unread replies ? :(
  • Eric Chadwick
    Froyok said:
    Hmmm, I'm not quite fond of this idea. I like to be able to go to the first page of a thread first. How I am supposed to do it without reading the currently unread replies ? :(
    I don't understand the question. If you click a completely-unread thread, it opens to the first post. However if you've previously read a few posts of a thread, then it jumps to the first of the new posts you haven't read yet.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Froyok said:
    I don't understand the question. If you click a completely-unread thread, it opens to the first post. However if you've previously read a few posts of a thread, then it jumps to the first of the new posts you haven't read yet.
    I mean in the case you already read page 1 for example, and don't want to open the topic on page 2 first, but go to page 1 to re-read it for example. That happens quite often for me. In the previous layout I could do that by choosing either the "new" link or the thread name. Now I don't have the choice anymore.
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    So happy this finally happened, something I have been asking for for a while. The little things in life :D Thanks Eric.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Froyok said:
    I mean in the case you already read page 1 for example, and don't want to open the topic on page 2 first, but go to page 1 to re-read it for example. That happens quite often for me. In the previous layout I could do that by choosing either the "new" link or the thread name. Now I don't have the choice anymore.
    Sorry about this. It does require 2 clicks now... open the thread, click page 1 (or scroll to top).

Vanilla says clickable page numbers in the thread list are contrary to their core design, so they won't add them. But what's weird is it's already there... if you open a huge thread, you can click on the page numbers at top and bottom. /p1 for example. They just don't want to add those. :(
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Well, I will live with it then. :)

By the way, did something broke ? In the Technical Talk section, the sticky threads are displayed in green for me, bur their link redirect to the first page (the #latest is missing from the link).
  • Eric Chadwick
    Froyok said:
    Well, I will live with it then. :)

By the way, did something broke ? In the Technical Talk section, the sticky threads are displayed in green for me, bur their link redirect to the first page (the #latest is missing from the link).
    I don't see this behavior at all, neither browsing in Windows 8.1/Chrome 53.0.2785.143m nor on my Android phone using Chrome. Green and gray stickies both always link to # latest.

Can you share some more details about OS and browser and any plugins/adblockers?
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I had the issue with this thread for example : http://polycount.com/discussion/68788/tech-artist-what-are-you-working-on-forever-edition
    Now that I visited it to the last page, I get the #latest link. This is odd because two/three days ago I already read the last page when new posts were posted.

Running on Chrome (53.0.2785.143) with Ghostery + Addblock plus.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Ghostery blocks cookies iirc. Forums rely on cookies to track whether you've read threads or not.