Home Technical Talk

Maya 2016 SP6: Extremely slow in importing large meshes

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
My Maya 2016 Edu license has somehow borked itself this week.

What used to be:
1) Loading models of 1 million tris+ into Maya would take a bit to load, but would load in fine with a tiny bit of chug in the viewport.

What is happening now:
1) Load model of 1 million + tris into Maya
>> Maya freezes (or just takes too long) loading in the model.

In general, everything either has seemingly slowed down or frozen.

TROUBLESHOOTING THAT I'VE DONE
CryMayaTool exists on my Maya, but I think I somewhat properly uninstalled it.  Removed the environment variables, etc. but the Control Panel still pops up.

Reinstalled Maya.

Repair installed Maya.

Patched with Service Pack 5 from Autodesk.

Deleted User Preference.

Does anyone have any other advice or suggestions to pursue?

Replies

• Joopson
    Online / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Did you update to that version this week, or did this start on its own?
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This might or might not be related, but the last time Maya broke on me was, indeed, because of a custom tool messing up environment variables. In my case it was Dota2/Source related stuff screwing up the Python paths, and it affected various areas of the program (viewport behavior, file/save dialogs and so on).

It's bit of a shot in the dark but maybe your issue could be related to the wrong version of Python being forced by the Cryengine tools ?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    Did you update to that version this week, or did this start on its own?
    On it's own, as far as I can tell and remember.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    This might or might not be related, but the last time Maya broke on me was, indeed, because of a custom tool messing up environment variables. In my case it was Dota2/Source related stuff screwing up the Python paths, and it affected various areas of the program (viewport behavior, file/save dialogs and so on).

It's bit of a shot in the dark but maybe your issue could be related to the wrong version of Python being forced by the Cryengine tools ?

Look into completey removing the CryMayaTools stuff?
  • throttlekitty
    @pior That's a good suggestion that gives me some ideas for a weird thing going on in my install. Adding Bonus Tools to that shot in the dark.

Brian, you say you reinstalled, but did you run on a totally fresh user folder with no custom stuff? I'm not familiar with how the CryMayaTools works installwise. Also have you tried one of the old models that imported normally? ie, is there some difference in the new models that could be examined?

Video mode or drivers could potentially affect this. I'm using lots of GPU cache imports at the moment, switching GL profiles cleared up the lengthy redraw times when swapping between representations/imports.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    @throttlekitty
    I don't remember actively doing a fresh user folder with no custom stuff.   What do I need to specifically Google to find that?

I've tried older models, but they load just as slowly.  Anything around the 1 million mark starts to hurt it, which it shouldn't when I've done this before.

Looking into how to really strip out any remnants of the CryMayaTools.

Where do I find this GL Profiles thing on my machine/Maya?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, CrySetup.mel has been deleted, and the Control Panel window no longer comes up.
  • throttlekitty
    Really all you should have to do for a fresh folder is to temporarily rename your "2016" folder under user/documents/maya/ and let Maya remake it from defaults. It can be useful for troubleshooting or isolating issues that you don't know where to start on; or even doing the same with the prefs or scripts folder inside. Basically if default preferences OR no custom scripts magically fixes things, you can start to hone in.

Rendering mode is under Preferences>Display. You should have an option for DirectX and a few OpenGL profiles to pick from.