Home Technical Talk

matching perspective with the 3D viewport

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Klo Works polycounter lvl 8
Hi,
I want to follow the concept art to match with the 3d.

I use the match perspective in 3dsmax

which look fine but it's not .

did I do something wrong ? is it the camera setting problem ?
what the best way to match the perspective ?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    It could be the camera FOV although that distortion looks a bit more like a rough attempt at a fish eye effect.

Unless the concept artist paints over a 3D model (this doesn't look like it is) then theres a 99% chance the perspective is botched in some way and you will not be able to perfectly match it in 3D. When you paint you can do a lot of bullshit that will look okay on paper but simply cannot work in 3D space.

Best you can do is get as close as possible.
  • kwyjibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
    I'd just eyeball it. Block in primitives while comparing the heights/length/width of the different elements, furniture and windows etc. Try to capture the artists intention rather than trying to exactly match their execution (which is necessarily rough). Here this looks like a studio apartment with about 2:1 depth:width ratio.

your FOV could be too narrow.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    When blocking out interior spaces, this website might help: https://davidneat.wordpress.com/methods/common-sizes-of-things/

• Klo Works
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Klo Works polycounter lvl 8
    thanks guys, 
    so are the common way is to eyeball it and match it without focusing in perspective.
    if I get an interior sci fi concept with good perspective, do I just match it so it look nice and get as close as possible. and of course to be aware in the size and scale.