Home Contests & Challenges Archives Reallusion's 3D Character Design Contest 2016

Reallusion Character Design - LookingGlassGraphics

For My Reallusion Character Design Contest entry, I've decided to create a Samurai.

DAY 1:
My 1st day of designing consisted of looking for a base facial image to use with the Crazy Talk 8 Pipeline program.
After searching online I decided to use an image of the Japanese actor Takeshi Kitano. 
Before bringing the Facial Image into Crazy Talk, I cropped out the image and edited within Photoshop CS6 ME, cutting and cropping half of the face then flipping the image over for and even amount of light on his face. I then created scar details and war paint details over the face.
After a bit more editing I then got ready to bring the image into Crazy Talk to create a 3D head.

Once the 3D head was finished I then exported the Head and textures to the Asian Male base found within the Essential Morphs add-on for Iclone's Character Creator. After the 3D head exported onto the male base I then went on to adjust the skin tone, muscles, facial hairs, eyes, eyebrows, and a few other parameters within the Character Creator Program. The result is as follows;

The time lapse video of the process can be found at 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr569BJncrg

Replies

• LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAY 2:
    The second day of designing I spent some time with  head gear for the Samurai. I used the Slick Hair Bun from the CC Template and then started work on the helmet.

The next step was to start creating the Mask and other details for the helmet making sure that it would fit the character’s head. I spent most of the day just creating the Mask and it’s details.

After I was satisfied with the overall look and shape of the mask I continued with the helmet and its details

I used Photoshop to create the helmet padding and added texture found on items via the internet. For example, leather stitching on an item, red leather texture, and an emblem found on an actual Samurai helmet. I cropped out these items to use over a shape I created in PS and came up with this image for the padding.

After the padding was finished I went in Autodesk Maya and create the armor for the rest of the helmet

After the textures and details were added to the helmet I was pleased with the final version

Time lapse video of the process can be found at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K63FNhyoqYM
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAY 3:

When creating the clothing and armor for the Samurai I started by going back into the Character Creator and selecting a plain base mesh for the upper and lower body. I then edited the texture to look as if the shirt and pants were armor chain-mail.

After setting the diffuse, bump, and specular attributes for the chain-mail I then went on to place the Samurai's neck-guard and add a texture I thought would work well with the overall look of the Samurai.

I then went on to create the arm bands that would hold the arm and shoulder armor. I use a torus shaped mesh to create the base and then gave it a red leather texture. The bands were then duplicated, re-positioned and re-scaled where needed.

After the arm bands were set in place, I went back into the character creator and placed a tank top over the chainmail mesh. This Tank-top, when textured, would act as a second layer of armor for the torso. I placed a roof shingle type texture over it, added a bump map, and gave it a leather styled look.

The next step in the process was bringing in a mesh from the Daz Studio program. I used the belt from the Shades of Atlantis suit and stripped it down so that only the front and back cloth, belt, and armor at the front of the mesh would be visible. I then used the decimator tool to remove unwanted polygons. I exported it into Iclone via 3DXchange, re-scaled, textured, and positioned it where needed. 

This belt was then brought into Autodesk Maya and stripped down to three of the armored pads which I then used as the shoulder pads.

The breastplate was the final touch to the armor at the upper torso. I used the same technique importing a mesh from Daz Studio to use on the Samurai.  I used the Marauders breast plate, then minimized the polygons using the decimator tool, and exported it for use in Iclone. Once I re-positioned the mesh I created a design in Adobe PS CS6 to use on the breastplate.

The images were of a Japanese style dragon and Bishamon , the Japanese God of War.

I then added the shoulder pad mesh as a part of the lower abdomen armor to compliment the breast plate. The final step was adjusting the texture and bump maps for the breastplate and lower torso armor.

Time lapse video of the process can be found at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvsiF777qeY
  • LookingGlassGraphics
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making a few changes to the character, I'll be posting images later on today.
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the changes I made to the design; I added a dynamic cloth at the back of the Samurai hanging from the armor, I reworked the top of the helmet and changed the texture into a Japanese Dragon pattern/ Imprint, I did away with the Tank Top which has the shingle styled texture as it looked to bulky on the character and replaced it with another mesh to look like a red bamboo armor, I also removed the armored belt and replaced it with a wooden waist guard. The initial clothing mesh I had with the chain-mail textures was removed and I placed the a new chain-mail style on the body itself. Once it was brought back into Iclone from the Character Creator I further edited the bump map. I also picked up the parameters for the Normals on the face while in CC. Here are the results:

• 3levan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3levan polycounter lvl 5
    wow thats some crazy progress. Your texturing is lovely
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you 3levan !! Yes messing around with the bump maps. I still haven't done the arm guards, feet, etc. trying to watch my Poly count.
  • 3levan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3levan polycounter lvl 5
    Is there a goal polycount youre trying to keep it under?
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna try and bring it down to 60k and then see if I can decimate it from there without losing to much detail. I'm at 80k so far but I'm almost done. That after I have already removed 20k from there. High Poly but I should be able to break it down further.
  • 3levan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3levan polycounter lvl 5
    My high poly is 20million :dizzy:

• LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just replied to your post about tweaking the bump and height maps for your detail.
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a quick video or the Mask with retopolgy and refined textures. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2jWC_jUh3U
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently working on some edits for the character, replacing and reducing some of the mesh on the armor. I'm also going to add bracers, and hand padding as well as more detail around the waist. The pads around the helmet now have physics added and the skirt mesh does as well. I will be creating a split on the sides of the red bamboo skirt so that it only has a front and back area at the lower portion of the mesh. I hope to reduce the model by another 20K.

• LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be reworking the breast plate as well. I want it to look more traditional than the bulky breast plate I currently have on the model. I want it to look more like the picture below.

• 3levan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3levan polycounter lvl 5
    The mask looks amazing!
    The last ref image you posted (the black one) could look really nice with all the stitching.. its a pretty cool pattern
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day5:
    I spent the day reworking the armor to make it look more like Japanese Traditional Samurai armor. After removing the current breastplate , pads, and the arm bands, along with the skirt. I was at around 50k polygons. The polygon count went back up to about 62k when placing some of the new assets but it's still under the 68k it was currently at.  I removed 8 of the assets as shown in my Day 4 progress above and was able to add 10 back with higher detail.

I will be adding the stitching to the should and leg armor and the lower portion of the torso armor. The stitching will be in black. I will set up physics on the pants towards the bottom area where the pants are most baggiest and meet the shin guards. The most current look of the Samurai model is as follows;

• LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the environment for the upcoming animation. Trying to create a mountain top with a pagoda(s) and a few more surrounding structures. Currently adjusting the light and some of the textures for the structure.
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Day6:

Here's a video for the environment that will be used in the animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQI1mELW0M8
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day7:
    After reworking some of the textures, and adjusting the arm guards, I wanted to see how the assets on the Samurai would look with a walk cycle. There's still a few more meshes I have to create for the armor as well as some soft cloth assets that will be apart of the clothing as well. Here's a look at what I have so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KV6qqyAeaE
  • 3levan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3levan polycounter lvl 5
    wow i cant believe how fast all this came together!
    great job
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you 311. I still have to put a few more parts for the armor, but this is what I have so far. There's gonna be a soft cloth  piece draping down from the waist. I just hope I don't run into any problems with those leg guards. I put the stitch look on the armor around the waist like you mentioned before.  The armor around the thighs and hands will have the same type of look. I almost want it to look more like a leather padding than metallic armor, but I'll see which one looks more cohesive.

• LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Day8:

After modifying the armor from it's initial design I was able to break down the polygon count from 86k to 60k by removing the 1st breastplate, arm bands, and the armored belt. I then created even more assets to place on the Samurai which did bring the polygon count back up to 80k, but with plenty more parts for the armor and more detail. Overall the additional armor is as follows (Thighs; 3 plates of armor and 2 leather bands each, Legs; 1 shin guard, 1 knee pad, and 1 roped padding each, Hands; 1 plated armor ea, Forearms; 1 roped padding and 1 armored plate each, Shoulders; 1 plated armor each,  Upper Torso; front and back armored plates and the Waist; 1 belt with four armored  skirts and a front and back plate) The initial armor was nothing more than 1 breastplate that wrapped around the chest and back, the shoulder pads, and the armored belt. These 3 assets including the clothes and the Samurai character were 86k polygons. Now I have 33 assets for the armor, with clothing, and the Samurai at 81k. I multiplied the armor eleven-fold and still had less polygons than the initial design. The following is a time-lapse video of the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGKg5F9t5fY
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Close Up Images:

• jman86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jman86 polycounter lvl 5
    Loving this man and the details being put into him. 
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you JMan86, there's still some work I have to do for the Knee pads and those arm braces. I don't want them to look like they're just floating on air. Thanks again for your reply.
  • LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using additional references to make slight changes to the armor.

• LookingGlassGraphics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on some last minute adjustments to the Samurai before submitting. I edited the eye were the scar is using some of the CC essentials body texture scars. I also overlapped the Eye with another Sphere and used some bump textures to make it look more damaged. I reworked the body texture so that the hands are not covered in chainmail. I removed the boots and put Tabi socks and sandals so the character has a more traditional look as shown in the previous image. I added a Haidate (Thigh guard) for each leg) as well. One area of the helmet texture was also reworked. I used an arm warmer mesh to double as the Kote (Sleeve Armor). Images will be posted soon.
  • LookingGlassGraphics
  • LookingGlassGraphics
  • LookingGlassGraphics
  • LookingGlassGraphics