Home Contests & Challenges Archives Reallusion's 3D Character Design Contest 2016

Reallusion Character Design - JoeLoXYongChuang

Offline / Send Message
Pinned

Hi, everyone! I am Joe Lo (Yong Chuang), a 3D hobbyist.

After viewing all of your great works, I feel excited that most contestant are extraordinary, and a lot of inspirations and techniques could be learnt here. Thanks for your kindly sharing!

However, as time is running out, I have to find a way to shorten the time in order to finish the project.
To achieve this goal, I will mainly using ICONE6.5 for design with minimal usage of Zbrush, Photoshop and Aftereffect.

To get started, I will use my previous project as story background, and create a newly heroine.

Replies

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    BACKGROUND OF MY DESIGN

Regarding my story, it talks about the future world. In 2103, most of the resources in the earth were exhausted. World War III were launched, nearly causing the extinction of human kind. In order to fight for the future, rebellion army were first initiated by Lee Tian Ho to fight for human right. However, the Super United Nations were too strong and collapsed the rebellion instantly. 

In my coming design, I will continue my story. Amy Lee, who is the daughter of Lee Tian Ho will be created. 

DAY 1  - LOOK AT SOME REFERENCE AND CREAT A BASIC CHARACTER

For designing my new heroine, I used one of the HK famous actress, Rosamund Kwan Chi-lam as reference. 
    As my character should be around 20 years old, I would adjust a little bit to reflect her age.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Here are my basic looking for the new character.
    Few adjustment were made:
    1. Eyes are bigger (For younger look)
    2. Nostril downward,  round nose (For Cute Looking)
    3 Upforward mouth corner(For optimistic feeling)

I use short hair first, because it allow me to adjust the hairstyle further.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Next I adjust her figure in perfect scale, and plan what she should be dressed up.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    After the basic setup, I first export to ICONE6.6 for further adjustment.

Next, the quickest way to create a new hairstyle is to using the G5 Hair Element in Accessory Folder. 
    By applying the Bangs and Polytails, and then adjust its color and size, new hair style created.

Besides, I also apply some metallic materails to her clothing, and now she begins to look like a heroine.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Day 2  - Create an armor set for the character

In the next stage, I exported the file to Zbrush for further processing.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    In Zbrush, the first set of upper arm's armors is being created, and I have designed some special pattern for it.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Let's export it to ICONE and see what she looks like. It's not bad, but pattern seems not too obvious, I think some adjustments is needed.

Besides, I have to be careful next time, as the single armor already counted for 430,000 polygon. Please note that the maximum count of polygon in ICONE is 1,200,000.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY 3 - CONTINUE MY ARMOR SET CREATION

Since I got a busy day, I only available to make creation at night.
    Next, I continue my works, but this time I try to lower the polygon when making the forearm's armor 

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    After I re-export to ICONE, I further adjust the color and materials to sharpen the pattern.

Of course, the better solution to highlight the pattern is modifying the texture map. Depends on situation, I will adjust it accordingly.
    However, I will do this texture matters in once and for all. 

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Since my story background is baed on a chaos future without any order. It seems not make sense for a super heroine just wearing a metallic bra and fight around. 

Hence, I will now design a clothing for her to wear.

• jman86
    Offline / Send Message
    jman86 polycounter lvl 5
    Digging the armor patterns and direction so far on this man. 
  • JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Thanks man . Your Dark Monk is really awksome, especially the skull mask is so nice!

DAY 4 CUSTOM CLOTHING 

Next, I design a special cloth for this heroine. The trick is playing around the opacity map in ICONE. This result will be similar to Zbrush sculpture. However, the basic shape will have some contraints. 

Anyway, let'see the result by adjusting the diffuse and opacity map.
  • Philsip
    Offline / Send Message
    Philsip polycounter lvl 5
    That's a pretty fun character.
  • JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Thanks Philsip. 

Day 5 ADDING A DETAILED ACCESSORY TO THE CHARACTER

Today I tried to bring some detail on the belt. 

1. Belt Buckle made in rose gold and attach with Moonstone
    2. Belt is made in metallic materials with some snakeskin pattern.

Let's see the result below.

Honestly, there are some more details could be added to the character, but this contest is focused on full animated scene, I have to move forward to design the scene first.

Next, I will design some props that will show in my scene 

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY6  DESIGN A PROP WHICH WILL APPEAR IN MY SCENE

Since my story is talking about a future world, I would like to make something special which could create such feeling.

Hence, I would design a high technological motor bike for Amy, which will be different from traditional vehicle.

To get started, I first create a cycle and scale it according to Amy size.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Next, I imported the circle to Zbrush for making the basic shape of the motor bike.

As show below, I created 5 layers for the bike seperately, because this enabled me to easily fill in different colors in future.

After finishing the basic shape, I merge all the parts into one single prop.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Next, I apply different materials to my motor bike in ICONE6.

Besides, I also added some animated props to the bike, so it could be more realistic and interactive.

Below is my explanation for my motor bike design. 
  • JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    Before moving to the next stage, let's have a look on Amy riding on the bike.
  • JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY7-13 MAKING ANOTHER CHARACTER WHICH WILL SHOW ON SCENE

Since the reallusion competition will soon come to the end, I try to post my WIP once a week only. Now, let's me summarize what I have done this week.

As this will be bored for Amy Lee to act alone, let's me created another hero in my scene. His name is Oneirol. In my story, he has the ability to control the five elements namely metal, wood, water, fire and earth. And this caused him the strongest man and govern the world. 

Step 1 Using CC to randomly create a new character
    (A mix between my idols, Michael Jordan and James Edward Franco)

Step 2 Using Zbrush to develop a full set of armor
    (This time I have used nearly 12 hours to create all armors, it is because my graphic card is too outdated that could not support high polycount, and my memory in PC only have 10GB which have to plan carefully for my ultimate animation)

Step 3 Using Marvelous Designer to develop a Cape
    To save my time, I also used Marvelous Designer to create a cape before my final baking of my armor.

After all, let's see the result of my new character as below.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY14-15 MAKING SUPPORTING CHARACTERS - POOR MAN

Without supporting characters, the movie will be bored, hence, I have created some other charcters which will appear in the scene.

Although they only show few second in shot, but it is worthy to mention.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY14-15 MAKING SUPPORTING CHARACTERS - INFECTED WOMAN

Below is another supporting character, who have to be cured by Amy Lee.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY16-18 FIRST SCENE (RUINED AREA)

A good movie should composing more than 1 element, only bringing the characters into the scene is not good enough for finalizing a movie.

In order to achieve my goal with one man band, I aggressively using multiple softwares for making the short movie:

1. ZBRUSH AND MARVELOUS DESIGNER - FOR CLOTHING AND ACCESSORIES DESIGN
    2. CC + PHOTOSHOP - FOR CHARACTER CREATER AND PHYSICS MAPPING
    3. ICONE6.5 - FOR SCENES, ANIMATION MAKING AND FIRST RENDER
    4. 3D EXCHANGE - AS MEDIA TO EXCHANGE FILES
    5. TTS  + ADOBE AUDITION - FOR DUBBING & SOUND REMIXING
    6. IPAD GurageBand - FOR BACKGROUND MUSIC COMPOSING
    7. ADOBE PREMIERE & AFTER EFFECT - FOR SPECIAL EFFECTS REMIXING

Below is my first scene.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY18-20 SECOND SCENE (GOLDEN PALACE)

Here is another site, I called it SKY PALACE

In this two sites, I have positioned 26 cameras to capture any critical moments.
    And different sections has been grouped and mapped for administration purpose.

This stage is critical, as without carefully planning, the camera shot will be in chaos.
  • JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY 21-22 PLANNING & EXECUTION (GOLDEN PALACE)

To start my camera works, I have planned some key shots in advance. However, some unnecessary shots were cut, so the movie will not be bored. Below is the examples of my simple draft. 

The simple drafts were then animated and finalized as below. 

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY 23-24 BACKGROUND MUSIC & DUBBING 

Thanks to Reallusion TTS System + the adobe audition mixing software, I overcome the problem of dubbing.

Besides, I also composing some background music using my digital piano, then import the music from GurageBand to Adobe Premiere Pro for remixing.

• JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    DAY 25 FINAL REMIXING AND RENDERING

By combing all the software together, I just finished part I of the movie.
    Yet I only have 2 days left to finish part II.  Below is workings.

Good Luck for me...
  • JOELO_YONGCHUANG
    FINAL RENDER - AMY LEE FOR Reallusion Character Design 
    https://youtu.be/1ztMEE_tgMk