Home Contests & Challenges Archives Reallusion's 3D Character Design Contest 2016

Reallusion Character Design - ThomasMelohn -Rabbit Fire!

vertex
I will atempt to finish my First 3d model ever by choosing a Character from my book. The Character is named Rabbit-Fire and is fluffy on the outside and hard on the inside.

He is a Pink bunny rabbit. Stuffed and teddy bear looking. except he isn't stuffed at all.
He is a Robot Cyborg Created by the person simply known as "The Toymaker" A menacing person who takes joy in replacing parts from robots and mechanical entities without powering them down. A.I Torture to be frank. He have maimed and disassembled many many cpu`s though his career. Then one day he pushed Rabbit-Fire too far and Rabbit Simply wouldn't have it anymore. So after the fire died out in the laboratory and what was left of the once so fluffy looking Rabbit escaped he was badly injured and in need of spare parts. He was picked up by another Traveler who took him in, the crazy Gung-Ho kind of trouble he was.

I will use Maya, Photoshop, Mudbox, Charactor Creator and iClone to Model, Texture and animate my Little Fur-Nut. (Because my Character isnt that tall he dont seem to be that easy to model in Character Creator
I will keep you posted.

Replies

• ThomasMelohn
  • ThomasMelohn
  • Philsip
    Offline / Send Message
    Philsip polycounter lvl 5
    Well that's terrifying. 
  • ThomasMelohn
    Hehe Thank you he`s A nutcase.
  • ThomasMelohn
    Starting to model experimenting with the eye.
  • ThomasMelohn
    Playing around with the reflection of the eye.
  • ThomasMelohn
    Starting out the Hardsurface part to begin the face. i Will only need half as the other half will be covered in burned bunny fur. :p

• ThomasMelohn
    Fixed some Topology on the skull and finished off the edges for a complete base model for the Cyber side of the head. Next up will be adding details and creating the other side of the head fury style :) what have i gotten myself into here haha.

• ThomasMelohn
    Allright so i thought i would try this CCreator thing to make the body. and so i did. unfortunately i thought it had fur options and a morph i could use but fret not. i was able to make this basic body in secounds. and then i exported it to maya to start changing the basic base into a Rabbit Shell.
    I Started by removing the leg and arm as they need to be replaced by Robo parts. Then i changed the nose to seem more rabbity toyish. i will use a stencil in mudbux to add details to that easily later. Then i started removing body areas where the cyborg chest needs to show and i made it rough edges because it is not a clean line. its a burned area i will make. then i extruded the lines to make a shell of the body instead of  a paper thing shell. this will help me create better 3d effects seing as the "Skin layer" is going to be torn.
    The project seems alot bigger than when i started but i dont mind a challenge.

I created a basic bunny ear by extruding 4 squares on the head a few times and then changing the angle and radius as i went along. Next part will be to create the robot chest, arm and legs and create the fur effect on the skin in mudbox. the CC really did save me about 10 hours or so doing all the body work so i am glad i gave it a try.

• ThomasMelohn
    Minor Set back my Harddrive died. have to replace it and reinstall everything to continue 0o To be continued.....
  • ThomasMelohn
    Ok back on track new harddrive installed even better than before. just lost 5 days of not being able to work on my project :S Anyways i keep deleting unneeded faces on the inside as only the edge really is going to be viisble on the fluffy torso. i also removed more of the upper leg from the bunny part to make it more visible what i want to do with the 50 Cal. leg. I also created the bullet to take the legs place and i tried fitting all the parts together to see how the finished look would be and im surprised how well i got it to fit. hopefully i will be done with the actuall modeling part by the end of next week so i can start texturing adding fur and such as i fear this will take a lot of time.

• InfinityComplex
    Offline / Send Message
    InfinityComplex polycounter lvl 5
    this is interestingly terrifying. haha. It looks like it's gonna be an awesome finished piece though.
  • ThomasMelohn
    i Really hope so i never did a 3d model really only like a pirate gone that turned out horrible. but thank you so much Infinity ;) i got no idea what i am doing haha

• ThomasMelohn
    Allright So the hip bone is connected to the??? Bulleg ? oh boy.
    Here we Go 50 Caliber Leg going to be attatched to the remainder of the upper leg rotary dics. Im going to add some bandage or duct tape on the metal pilers on the bullet and i will add more detail to the Skull, Torso, Leg, and so on as soon as i reclosed the holes in the bunny parts and removed the last gazillion unused faces. i guess i messed up there. damn you extrude.....
    anyways. To do list :
    Fix nose to look bunnylike. Add bunny teeth. add Whispers. Add Robo Eye, Add tail. Make nails long and more animal like. Fix holes in the bunny part to look more realistic and not so edgy. Add butterfly. once this is all done i can export it to mudbox and add:
    Fur like effect, Stitches, panel effects on metal, stratches, burned edges and texture it.
    Next step after this is rigging and animating. I hope i will have enough time. but hopefully Iclone will save my abs... I belive in you Iclone!!!!!

• ThomasMelohn
    Unfortunately i was not as lucky as i thought and the fried harddrive managed to mess up my body sculp. but i had a save hiding. so i took a diffrent approach to minimize errors and i removed bodyparts and exported to Mudbox for details on the body. i will fix the uv mapping later and connect all the parts and add the parts i dont have yet. like an arm and such.

• Philsip
    Offline / Send Message
    Philsip polycounter lvl 5
    The nose as it is right now looks very strange. I would consider resculpting that part.
  • ThomasMelohn
    You are right and i fixed it but i ended up messing up my model a bit in the process. so i redid some parts.
    Added a bowtie. finished the Arm and Leg cyborg parts. Then i got this bad ass result for the faceaswell. later today i will do the uvmap and then do the details of the model like fur and stitches again. and paint the model.

• ThomasMelohn
    Tried a minor Animation.
    http://tinypic.com/r/2cwrb0m/9]View My Video

Cant seem to add a video like the pictures

• ThomasMelohn
    Allright the time has come i have finished the product a lot later than anticipated due to numerous issues with the programs compatibility. First i will outline how i did the actuall product from start til finish.

1. First i created the idea about how my model should look on paper.
    2. Then i used Character Creator to greatly save me time by making a male model i then used as a shell for the rabbit part of my model.
    3. Then i deleted what i didnt need and added ears and other features in Maya 2016. here i also created the robot parts like the skull, torso and the bullet leg.
    4. Mudbox then helped me create finer details and also textured the models in mudbox.
    5. Then i uploaded my model to Mixamo and after some issues got the animations i wanted downloaded.
    (here i had alot of issues due to Mixamo dont want to load fbx files made from mudbox only from maya. this i didnt know until after a week of issues. Also my model was 4x the size mixamo allows so i had to reduce alot of details unfortunately)
    6. I added the model and animations into maya. (here i discovered that rendering a simple turntable animation would require 3000 frames and 3 days to render.)(so instead i recorded it straight from Maya)
    7. i Patched my videos together with VSDC Video editor and added sounds and music to the videos. (i added 2 diffrent ones just to be safe)
    8. Uploaded the videos to Youtube and Done.!

This project could have been finished alot faster but most my time was spend on getting programs to work together or work at all. only one i didnt have an issue with was actually Character Creator. I have learned so much from this project and even if i dont win i had alot of fun with it and learned more than i had thought i would. Here is my final pictures and two videos i have uploaded. I will now send my files and accept i finished in time :)

Turn table video link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu0H9L5RVZ8
    Funny Sales Pitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH_ZMMODi2g