Figured I'd start a character thread. You can see more of my work at www.smessierobjects.com
Some new work for Terra, the same game I built the space marine dude for. You can see the game in progress at http://starcave.net
. Most of the stuff they have online is older, and they're busy putting together a new demo for GDC. Definitely check them out.
This guy's sculpted and retopoed/Uved in Zbrush, textured in DDO/Photoshop, and rendered in Marmoset 2. He's contained in a single UV space, at 4096 rez textures, and has Diffuse/Gloss/Specular/Normal/Translucency/Emissive maps.
Looking to schedule up more work for the coming months. I'll be heading out to GDC next week so things are ramping up to be very busy, but let's start getting the conversations rolling this weekend.
2 4K texture sets, optimized for UE4 (condensed metal/rough maps), and the model sits around the 5K poly range. Low poly modeled in Maya, textured entirely in Substance Painter. It's an amazing program.
I made one of these awhile back, its cool to see how you approached it. Nice details!
He's 4k resolution right now, and I think his head is 5-10K polys. Did some zremeshing and auto-uving, so he's a bit of a hack job right now, although I think his poly flow is pretty clean for an asymmetrical zremesh. I plan on cleaning up his UVs and reprojecting the textures via substance. I can't get enough of that program. Let me know what you all think so far.
Rendered in Marmoset 2 and their textures are optimized for UE4. The Mage is separated into 2 4K maps and the Steampunker is in a single 4K map, with his holster/future weapons in their own separate space. Both are around 10-15K polys. Will have a greater breakdown of both characters on my site within a week.
His face looks goofy in this sketch.
The old soldier is up to a good start, too.
The discolored spots on the skin seem way to small and "sprinkled" on though, but I guess that's just painted on top of the render for now?
File sizes are excessive, though. I realize we don't have the year 2000 anymore, but over 50 Mb is too much for what's shown, if you ask me. E.g. that last sketch doesn't really benefit from having over 1 Mb.
I agree about the alien, I should do a bit more of a relaxed t-pose render for it. Maybe when I get it on my site.
Not saying that it has to be the same for everyone, though,and it does load after a while.
No need to resave them, either, just something to keep in mind, perhaps.
3D Viewer: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/archer-girl-75209405-a83c-46e0-bac1-b80517983685
Check out more renders and info at http://smessierobjects.com/folio/furiosafan/.
Here's a fan art game character of Charlize Theron's character Furiosa from the film Mad Max: Fury Road. I've worked on and off on her for the past few months, applying new techniques learned from ongoing freelance projects this year toward her production. I've learned a lot, and I've enjoyed everything about her.
Some technical info: she's broken down into multiple UV sets, 3 (2048x) sets for her outfit (1 odd set for the belt chains that could have easily been combined in another set), 1 (2048x) set for her arms/chest, 1 (4096x) set for her face, 1 set originally for her entire hair, but now is just for her eyebrows/lashes, and 1 (2048x) set for her rifle. She can definitely be optimized, but she's purely a portfolio experiment so I haven't been too worried about that. Her core character meshes are at 56K polys, and her rifle is a few thousand polys. After hours of learning different hair alpha card techniques and experimentation trying to get short hair to look natural with alpha textures, I decided that the only way I'd get the look I wanted was to go with Zbrush's Fibermesh. Learning more about hair tech for different engines made me realize that current solutions for short hair really don't use alpha cards, and instead are generated dynamically or are tessellated, and I don't have that tech or knowledge yet.
A few major things I wanted to learn from Furiosa were: to achieve a higher level of finish than I had previously attained with my work, to work with and better understand detail/tileable normals (which was why I chose to stay at 2K rez for most maps), and to restrict production to scale between complex shaders and the Unity 5 standard material. In Marmoset 2 I'm utilizing skin/microfiber shaders, alphas, translucency/emissive maps, and tiling normals with detail masks (alongside standard color/metalness/roughness/normal maps). When I have some more time I want to get her in Unity too.