Home Contests & Challenges Archives Reallusion's 3D Character Design Contest 2016

Reallusion Character Design - Alexionna

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Alexionna vertex
Hey there I'm Alexionna feel free to call me Alex in this thread. I've been working in IC for over 6 years now and when I heard RL was having a contest catered toward character creation I thought why not since designing characters has been a passion of mine. Plus it will be giving me an excuse to spend a lot of time on this since they seem to be giving lots of awesome prizes out. 

I have some ideas in mind for a few characters I would like to create, mostly two. So I thought I would start this thread off by showing you all some of my inspiration for the characters. 

What inspired me with this picture is the shape of the body. For my first character I would like him to be short in height. I would also like to make sure his legs are thin and his feet are larger (larger feet brings more definition to the body type) which makes his body stand out. His upper body will be much larger making him seem unbalanced.  

I adore league of legends and their cinematic movies. Each character has a story and a certain talent, Which is something I would like to bring into my character. With this I would like to take elements from this photo reference such as the hair color. 

For now this is all, I will add my finished digital art concept in a few days of me adding these pieces together. 

-Alex

Replies

• Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Okay I know its the same day but I decided to go ahead and add some of my recent work here. Starting with some 2D Digital artwork done in Photoshop and using me UGEE drawing tablet. 

Here is some of my 3D artwork that I've done this year. I'm excited for this contest since it will be allowing me to experiment with some new techniques that I've learned recently. That I will be sharing with you all on this thread very soon. 

Well tomorrow I will posting a concept artwork of the first character that I will start designing. I hope you all enjoy this talk soon! 

-Alex
  • Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Since I do things completely out of order I finished creating weapons for my characters, instead of actually completing the characters. The software used is listed below.

-Sketchup 2016
    -Adobe Photoshop 2015
    -3D Exchange 5.2 Pro
    -Daz Studio 4.8 
    -Iclone 6

I decided to add a logo onto the weapons just to tie in the story line. Neolites is an elite group that they with be connected with. So I went into photoshop to make both the diffuse and opacity maps. 

Here you can see once in 3D Exchange I went ahead and made my object smoother, since items coming from Sketchup can seem pretty rough around the edges. Once in Daz I replace the logo in this picture with a closer image. 

Usually it takes me a long time to figure out the right colors I would like to feature, so here is an image of three stages. Their were more I just forgot to take a snapshot of them. Stage 3 was my final decision, I went with more darker tones with a pop neon green. Once in IC I added more reflections and added a custom glow to make the green stand out. 

After completing the sword I went ahead and completed the Axe that will be used by my other character Kobolt.

I recently found out how to import my Obj. files into DAZ Studio 4.8 with full textures attached. It took a lot of trial and error but the key is to add a textured image to your object as a place holder. Once in DAZ you will be able to replace that texture with any color you want. Remember to take the layer that is labled "Color" in DAZ and set the opacity to "0". I hope this helps! Let me know if you need any clarification. 

-Alex
  • Space_3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Space_3D vertex
    Nice model .
    Best away import model to Daz ;
    - import DAE or Fbx format ( included texture )
    - use Free Autodesk Fbx Converter for much better. ( Converted more file Obj, Fbx, Dae etc )  
  • 3levan
    Offline / Send Message
    3levan polycounter lvl 5
    Ooooh nice to see someone else using sketchup, and so well. its the only 3D program I have any previous experience with but i couldnt build a sword!
  • AdventDestiny
    Offline / Send Message
    AdventDestiny polycounter lvl 2
    These are some of the coolest animated weapons I've ever seen!
  • Philsip
    Offline / Send Message
    Philsip polycounter lvl 5
    Shiny! 

I look forward to seeing what your actual characters will look like =)
  • Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Hey everyone so recently I've been building the base of my character Asterix. I did complete a rough sketch of my character first in Adobe PS. I do plan on doing a more detail design later this week. Please disregard the clothing Asterix is wearing in this concept. 

So I did go ahead and started working on the body shape... so here we go! 

Software used below:
    -Daz 3d 
    -Sculptris 
    -Adobe Photoshop

Using lots of reference pictures I find really helps me. I went ahead and exported my base from Daz 3d into sculptris. I'm still learning how to use sculptris, so everything might not be the best. My pictures pretty must explains what I was going for. 

I'm thinking about making a short video tutorial on something! I'm just not sure on what yet. If you have any suggestions just let me know. After I was finished with sculpting I found that their was more tweaks that could be done later on in Daz. So I'll post another picture of the finished product below: 

I will be posting close ups of Asterix Face transformation next. I also went ahead and created a tutorial in photos of how I created the futuristic sword from above. Let me know if your interested in seeing that. See you all tomorrow for more postings. 

-Alex
  • Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Space_3D said:
    Nice model .
    Best away import model to Daz ;
    - import DAE or Fbx format ( included texture )
    - use Free Autodesk Fbx Converter for much better. ( Converted more file Obj, Fbx, Dae etc )  
    Hey thanks for the suggestion I will totally try this out! 

-Alex
  • Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    3levan said:
    Ooooh nice to see someone else using sketchup, and so well. its the only 3D program I have any previous experience with but i couldnt build a sword!
    Hey that's awesome! If you want me to post a tutorial on how I created the sword just let me know. 

-Alex
  • Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    These are some of the coolest animated weapons I've ever seen!
    AWESOME! Thanks I'm trying to keep up with everyone in the contest. Plus I think that league of legends is awesome. I can spend hours on their YouTube channel just amazed! 

-Alex
  • Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Philsip said:
    Shiny! 

I look forward to seeing what your actual characters will look like =)
    Hey thanks! Yeah I will make sure to post more often. 

-Alex
  • Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Okay I'm just going to post some more today. Why not?! Here are some up close shots of the face sculpting both before and after screenshots. I went ahead and grabbed my drawing tablet (Wacom) to make some "notes" As you can see I had some fun with drawing over the pictures. Anyway the first time I started to sculpt was not completely satisfied with the turn out. So I went in a 3rd time to fix a lot of flaws, especially the chin! 

When I was on Daz website I ran into this picture that I decided to use as a reference photo. It really helped me to get the structure of the face together properly. 

Here is a before and after photo. I think It looks pretty good! I might do a few more updates here and there but for now I think he's looking pretty good. I'm slowly getting the hang of using Sculptris.  

I think I will now go into detail on his face. I'm thinking of some tattoos, maybe some glasses? Never know! I'll be in Adobe PS for changing the UV map for his face. Okay I'll make another update in a day. Seriously this time!  If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask me. Talk soon. 

-Alex
  • 3levan
    Offline / Send Message
    3levan polycounter lvl 5
    Alexionna said:
    3levan said:
    Hey that's awesome! If you want me to post a tutorial on how I created the sword just let me know. 

-Alex
    ohmigosh yes please
  • ThomasMelohn
  • jman86
    Offline / Send Message
    jman86 polycounter lvl 5
    Digging this project and can't wait for more. I always love seeing more diversity too. I find myself doing that alot with my characters and a game I'm making. Keep it up. 
  • InfinityComplex
    Offline / Send Message
    InfinityComplex polycounter lvl 5
    I really like the stylized approach on this one. I am a big fan of it, I was gonna try a stylized character but was afraid I wouldn't come up with a fitting Idea for one in time. But I like the weapons, as well as the look. Can't wait to see it finished. :)
  • Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Hey everyone! I'm finally back with some updates. I went ahead and created some hair for my character, Which I actually forgot to post those pictures. So I'll add those in my next post. This past week I've been designing clothing in Marvelous Designer. It was my first time working in MD so I think everything came out pretty good, but I have a lot to learn. 

Here are some clothing inspiration, I wanted something that was cyberpunk inspired. I also love the game Mirrors Edge Catalyst so I had a lot of inspiration from their. 

Ohh cool you can upload files directly! Good job Polycount! Since I have some experience when it comes to actually sewing clothing, getting started wasn't so bad. I know this is not how pants are actually sew but I thought it could save time. 

Trying to add pockets for me was truly difficult! I think I tried adding this pocket for about an hour until I gave up. I eventually came back and figured out the problem. I needed to sew together darts first in each corner of the pocket pattern. I also needed to flip the back pants pattern. 

I noticed that MD was moving pretty slow, I figured it was my character so I went into sculptris and just reduced the vertices. I imported the character in MD as an avatar and everything moved smoothly. 

Next, I decided to add a small pattern/ design to the pants so that they wouldn't be plain. I took same technique from the pocket and used it here. 

Honestly I'm still working on the top I'm still not sure what I want to do with it. 

Here is a Daz render of the pants with textures, I still need to fix the length of the pants here. 

Okay, here I tested out the poses in Daz before I do a test import into IClone 6. I notices some crappy stretching so I figured it had something to do with topology. This is where I pretty much ended off. Today I will be working on that and possibly the top. BTW I found out about a software called "Instant Field-Aligned Meshes" by the interactive geometry lab. People say it helps with a quicker topology process! So I guess I'll test that out and then tell you what I think. You can download it here: http://igl.ethz.ch/projects/instant-meshes/  

• Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    I really like the stylized approach on this one. I am a big fan of it, I was gonna try a stylized character but was afraid I wouldn't come up with a fitting Idea for one in time. But I like the weapons, as well as the look. Can't wait to see it finished. :)
    Hey thanks for the comment! I see a lot of awesome submissions so far in contest. I'm excited to see the finished look for everyone. jman86 said:
    Digging this project and can't wait for more. I always love seeing more diversity too. I find myself doing that alot with my characters and a game I'm making. Keep it up. 
    Hey thanks! Your making a game? Awesome! ThomasMelohn said:
    Love the Colors :)
    Thanks! :)
  • Alexionna
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexionna vertex
    Hey everyone! So I've been pretty busy since the last post. Designing the clothing in MD has taken a lot of my time. I believe that I have finally finished! I took as many pictures as I could, and tried to make them useful. 

So for starters I needed to make the pants length shorter, so that they would not interfere with his boots. I also decided to give him normal pants, the Harlem pants was taking a lot of my time, hence the change. Although they look extremely cool. 

Next up I could finally place them onto my character. I ran into a problem with adding custom clothing  in Daz 3d. With over 3 days of trail and error and research, I finally figured out my problem. I forgot to use the base Genesis character in MD as a model. So when I exported the clothing back into Daz it fit perfectly with my character. Then I went ahead and used the transfer utility settings to make the clothing morph with my character. (I hope you can understand)

Here I'm just showing the different phases that I went through just to be satisfied with the final look. 

I'm thinking about should I keep Asterix shirt matte or keep the shine?