Home Technical Talk

3DS MAX: Different UV Maps?

lecra
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
lecra polycounter lvl 3
All,

I'm new to 3ds Max and always having trouble to understand the UVW Unwrap methodology.
I'm modeling a barrel. This is made by two objects: the barrel & the cap on the top. I made the cap on the top as a separate object in order to not add additional geometry to the barrel. So now I have two objects and I want to have one UV Map.

Attaching the cap to the barrel would mean add additional geometry (to avoid ngons, tiangles etc.). Is there a way to manage this? I know this is a simple example, but what about when I'm modeling an interior scene and I have to unwrap every object?

Many thanks in advance for your answer.

Kind regards, Lecra

Replies

• Mossbros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    You can add the unwrap modifier on more than one object, just select two.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    I'm not sure I get it. One object can have as many different meshes as you want. Just use Attach to combine the 2 objects into one, and unwrap the result. You don't need to weld the 2 together.
  • lecra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lecra polycounter lvl 3
    Thank you Mant1k0re!

Mant1k0re said:
    I'm not sure I get it. One object can have as many different meshes as you want. Just use Attach to combine the 2 objects into one, and unwrap the result. You don't need to weld the 2 together.

This means, that when I use the attach feature in 3ds Max it is not "connecting" the geometry of the two objects? Just only combining? I was of the opinion, that attaching would join two objects together and welding their geometry and perhaps creating ngons and tris.

Kind regards, Lecra
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Attaching just means combining as topologically non-contiguous elements. To attach them topologically you would have to weld the verts/bridge the edges.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Nope, attaching them keeps sub-objects separate (you can check by selecting them when in "5" mode - sub-element selection). Using boolean union would combine them and weld into a single object.
  • lecra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lecra polycounter lvl 3
    Mossbros said:
    I know that I can, the question is just, is there a possibility then to merge the two UV maps to one?
    It is not clear for me, if I have to handle everything in a scene in one UV MAP?
  • D4N005H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4N005H polycounter lvl 6
    lecra said:
    Mossbros said:
    I know that I can, the question is just, is there a possibility then to merge the two UV maps to one?
    It is not clear for me, if I have to handle everything in a scene in one UV MAP?
    Do you want one UV Map texture that consist of the UV Maps of two (or more) objects? if yes, you first group the objects and then add the UV unwarp modifier and then adjust the UVs, the you hit the "render to texture" button, there you go. You'll have one UV Map texture that have the UV maps of the objects. You can save it and use it for texturing, etc... .