Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Sci-fi Religious 3D Environment.(Need feedback)

tbvjwodn2
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
tbvjwodn2 polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys!
My name is Jaewoo kim. 3D environment artist(now student, soon to be unemployed).
This is my first time actually posting something on Polycount.
I really need your critique and help at this stage.
I would like to hear all your 
critique because I need to improve.
I've been making this Sci-fi religious concept environment for about two months.
The assets have clean textures but not pure clean. 

Main Problem I am thinking could be more :
1. I see the environment has not enough something to make eyes interested long enough.
2. Some objects and lights are fighting with sense of scale which I don't know which one yet.
3. The color distribution is somewhat wrong.
4. Adding FX effect, such as smog and ambient dust are missing.

Please help me guys! I would like to hear all your valuable feedback!
Have great days sir.

I added several different versions of same environment with some changes on objects,
 just in case, you need more information from this environment

Based on your valuable feedback, I was able to make some progressions.
Still in progress so I need your feedback!
Thank you.

2016 / 7 /7 

Replies

• linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry, your huge pngs were taking too much time to load. Don't have patience to wait, can't help you.
  • RobeOmega
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed. Please downsize your images and/or turn them into JPEGs so people can actually see what is here clearly.
  • tbvjwodn2
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov said:
    Sorry, your huge pngs were taking too much time to load. Don't have patience to wait, can't help you.
    Thank you Linkov, I resized the picture and made it jpg
  • tbvjwodn2
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega said:
    Agreed. Please downsize your images and/or turn them into JPEGs so people can actually see what is here clearly.
    Thank you RobeOmega, I resized the picture and made it jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Very cool idea. I think most people tend to forget that religion will probably exist forever, even when we're in space.

I like the shapes a lot. I look forward to seeing it progress!
  • tbvjwodn2
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson said:
    Very cool idea. I think most people tend to forget that religion will probably exist forever, even when we're in space.

I like the shapes a lot. I look forward to seeing it progress!
    I agree, I don't have religion but the concept is cool.
    Thank you! :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    The idea is really interesting and unique if you ask me, but I think your execution is even better. Keep it up man. 
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    It's very interesting so far. I think the main thing that you may want to look at is reducing the amount of visual noise. Right now, in the ground shots, you have so many lights and panel cuts that my eye doesn't have anywhere to rest. Either keep the ground more simple and neat materials or keep somethign else simple and large. 

I would suggest looking at famous architecture and making a mood board to help you out. For example, check out some of Zaha Hadids work. Beautiful flowing lines in a huge space with a proper amount of visual noise.

Maybe the council from Mass Effect, some of the areas in Deus Ex? I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any right now.

Regardless, good luck!

• GratefulBred
    @ beefaroni
    I agree. I dont know a lot about archetecture, but when dealing with a large scale building such as this, K.I.S.S. !
    Keep it simple stupid
    Work with larger shapes, details arent as important when your surroundings are
    :)
    Looks great so far though !

• tbvjwodn2
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni said:
    It's very interesting so far. I think the main thing that you may want to look at is reducing the amount of visual noise. Right now, in the ground shots, you have so many lights and panel cuts that my eye doesn't have anywhere to rest. Either keep the ground more simple and neat materials or keep somethign else simple and large. 

I would suggest looking at famous architecture and making a mood board to help you out. For example, check out some of Zaha Hadids work. Beautiful flowing lines in a huge space with a proper amount of visual noise.

Maybe the council from Mass Effect, some of the areas in Deus Ex? I'm sure there's more but I can't think of any right now.

Regardless, good luck!

Thank you beefaroni, I totally agree with you that I have too much noise. I didn't realize it until you say it. I would make things simple and try to look at balance and big shapes. 
  • tbvjwodn2
    Offline / Send Message
    @ beefaroni
    I agree. I dont know a lot about archetecture, but when dealing with a large scale building such as this, K.I.S.S. !
    Keep it simple stupid
    Work with larger shapes, details arent as important when your surroundings are
    :)
    Looks great so far though !

Thank you GratefulBred, I would look for large shape instead of small details. The details really distract me from looking at overall large shapes. Thank you
  • christopheduron
    Offline / Send Message
    christopheduron polycounter lvl 2
    This reminds me of halo when you're walking around in covenant structures. Those buildings also have a religious feel to them so i would say you're definitely doing awesome!
  • tbvjwodn2
    Offline / Send Message
    This reminds me of halo when you're walking around in covenant structures. Those buildings also have a religious feel to them so i would say you're definitely doing awesome!
    Thank you! I would like to check out the halo now.
  • tbvjwodn2
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello guys.
    Thank you for feedback. I made a lot of changes on my final product.
    Please come to www.Jaewooart.com to see all the progression and other stuff that I made! :)
    Have good day sir.

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Original:

Quick edits:

You've got a nice scene, but it's a bit too busy atm. It needs LESS to make it MORE.
    • Remove outside (streetlight looking) lights around the outside ring.
    • You could also half the number on lights on the inside ring, there is so much repetition. (again speaking about the streetlight curved modeled lights)
    • Make the main path a focal point (change material and color.)
    • Make the inner ring (walkway panels) a slightly lighter color (with your lights/material/diffuse color), basically you need to separate this from the background. 
    • The side walls are too busy and are competing for your attention. It's supposed to be backdrop, and it's pulling too much focus, I'd simplify here.
    • Your ring thingy at the top of the stairs should be your brightest object in the room. Again lighting is gonna be key. Color should contrast what is around it. 
    • Your ring of light under the raised pathway (at the bottom of the image) has the same light intensity/emmisive value as your doorway ring thingy at the top of the stairs....they have the same visual weight, lessen the lighting around this to strengthen the lighting intensity around your focal point (you have too competing focal points, the one at the top of the stairs should have priority).
    • I don't love the yellowish pathway of my paintover - (I didn't match your doorway perfectly, but I needed to get back to work..hopefully you get the idea.)
    Good luck.