Home Featured Artwork

Survivor type character

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
Supposed to be a survivor type character that would fit into a Last Of Us or Walking Dead type universe. 

Right now the highpoly is finished except for a gun and some minor pieces, I'm thinking a shotgun but haven't decided yet, the gun will be the last thing I do.

The highpoly render:

And here is the low-poly so far. This is most things, but I need to finish the hands and get them done as a low-poly (just a sketch right now), and I also need to do a low-poly for the backpack and get that in there. Right now I am doing a damage pass on the backpack to add more wear and some duct-tape details. "

Shots in marmoset toolbag 2: 

And a GIF,  you might have to right click and open in a new tab to see it, not sure why

Replies

• tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Looks amazing already. The materials read really well, top notch! I was about to say that i'd expect to see a little more general wear and tear on the clothes but it's already there at like that perfect level where it isn't overdone. You could perhaps add some dried blood stains, though that's more of the cliché look for a survivor and it feels like you're trying to avoid that. Looking forward to updates :)
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    tda said:
    Looks amazing already. The materials read really well, top notch! I was about to say that i'd expect to see a little more general wear and tear on the clothes but it's already there at like that perfect level where it isn't overdone. You could perhaps add some dried blood stains, though that's more of the cliché look for a survivor and it feels like you're trying to avoid that. Looking forward to updates :)
    Yeah, I really have no interest in going over the top with this, everything duct-taped and tatters. I'd prefer to keep it more realistic than dramatic. Just my personal opinion. 
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    This is looking amazing Yuri, Nothing else to say :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    Looks fantastic, although a bit more grime wouldn't hurt.
  • Stirls
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    Digging the eye color.
    Makes me think he's either an immigrant and the shit hit the fan or living in an African country that's dealing with its own outbreak.
    Process wise were you pulling reference from any particular faces?
  • Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Looks amazing, the dirt on his face sticks out to me as a bit off, I'm not really sure what it is, but for one I think the color of it is a bit too saturated and I also think the edges of it is a bit too harsh, would probably look better if it was smudged out a bit more, like he has been wiping his face a bit with his hands.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I can't stop seeing Dave Chappelle...
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Maxilator said:
    Looks amazing, the dirt on his face sticks out to me as a bit off, I'm not really sure what it is, but for one I think the color of it is a bit too saturated and I also think the edges of it is a bit too harsh, would probably look better if it was smudged out a bit more, like he has been wiping his face a bit with his hands.
    Thanks for the input. I was going more for dried mud than dirt, similar to what appears on his clothes and jacket.  He has "normal" dirt on his face as well, but it's harder to see. Thankfully the mud is the easiest part to change.

The mud tends to "cake" to the face, as far as I could tell. I made some mud in the backyard and drizzled it onto garbage bags to check color and material and maybe make some alphas.

i couldn't get the mud to mix quite right, so I mixed in some protein powder and vegetable powder mix.

unfortunately when I went out with the camera to capture everything, I caught my dog eating the last of my "mud". 
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I can't stop seeing Dave Chappelle...
    Dave wasn't at all in my refs, but I see it too now. And @MrHobo, I used a bunch of different refs, but the biggest one especially early was Hakim Kea-Kazim (I might have spelled that wrong. He plays an awesome character in black sails which I was watching at the time. I think it's more visible in the high poly render with just the initial sketch, when I did the high poly I made some changes that kind of moved away from his likeness. 
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I hope you take this further...expression/pose?  The art is technically superb but I would love to see more personality.  Maybe add some items that can tell a backstory about him?  I feel like most "survivor" art that really intrigues me are when there are small details here and there that tell you something about the character.  Still, excellent work Yuri!
  • DanielJohnsson
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielJohnsson polycounter lvl 5
    This is absolutly stunning, The model looks solid and the textures are great! Good job man!.
    As some has pointed out the model could be abit more interesting (in a storytelling point of view), you say he is a survivor but i can´t really see it, But as i said, the model itself looks amazing!
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    thanks guys. 
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I think that when people hear survivor then they assume that it is someone who has defied all odds and managed to scrape by some dangerous event. Whether those odds are a zombie apocalypse, a house fire or getting lost in the woods. You are perfectly in your right to not want to use cliches to sell a character but then again just by calling him a survivor you are putting him in a context where those cliches should define him. If you would have called him something generic like "Barry" then people could have read into what his character was more based on his appearance rather than preconceptions of a term. 

It's a really good looking model and well made, don't get me wrong, but it kinda looks like he just fell into some mud on a walk in the forest rather than that he survived anything. In the end however its up to you to decide what hardship he survived but right now it is hard to understand just based on how he looks.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks magi hat, appreciate the input.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I will work on the story. 
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Here is the next step. I finalized the backpack highpoly, did the low and texture. Made some changes to the rest of the textures, added the hat, etc. This will probably be my second to last update, I will finish the hands/gloves, and the shotgun, and then pose and do finals. I also need to redo the hair peaking out from under the hat a bit and add some flyaways. 

Unfortunately I made more changes to the coat/torso than seen here texture wise, but my texture document got corrupted in a crash, and all I had left was an older .jpg that I thankfully saved out. Oh well.

I thought more about the 'story' aspect, and ultimately although I appreciate the input, I've decided to go with what I had in my mind when I started. I had originally decided I wanted to do something in the vein of the TLOU and TWD, and I think this is accomplishing that, although I respect those that disagree. I wanted to keep the design more grounded, I don't feel it necessary to spell anything out story wise. Just my opinion.

Anyways, here are the marmoset screenshots. He's running fine in Marmoset, although I think I will compress him down a bit at the end. Right now he is running mostly 4096 maps but he looks fine at 2048, so thats where I'll go. He's 80K polygons, which I'm fine with. 

Also adding that someone PM'd me to ask what he's textured in, its just photoshop, still my preferred tool.

• Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    This is looking amazing Yuri, I agree with him not needing anymore ''story'' element, I feel that sometimes survivor character can very quickly become a bit cliche because of that.
    I think he would fit very well in a TLOU <3  or TWD settings.
    Can't wait to see him posed (and with hands!)
    I really like the hat!

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Sucks that you lost some of the changes in that crash, even still he looks really good. Can't wait to see the final render when he has hands! :)
  • Edgar T
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgar T interpolator
    Yeah, this dude don't need more than he has right now. Maybe a gun or a big knife / katana, but always for self-protection, not to say "Ey, take a look at how many things I can carry on :D. Go ahead, looks fantastic so far!
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Now that I'm finishing I'm thinking of poses etc. more and more, so I tried these two out tonight. I want two poses.

I want one pose that is more basic, of the character standing, and will use these for the closeups and the turnarounds. This is the A-B one, I kind of like the attitude in A, I dont really like his legs in either, I might shift back to a more symmetrical leg stance. 

The second pose would be more actionable. Not firing gun or with the gun full up, just a little movement. First try is with the second pic. 

• Leinadien
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    Nothing to critique, techincally perfect. Design choices come down to peoples personal tastes, personally I'm not a fan of his attire. In a zombie apocalypse the hipsters would be the first to go. xD
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    really nice work Yuri. the dirt on the face might be a bit too much and in general the dirt seems to be repeating or similar on different areas. if you are using a custom brush for the dirt then may be try making the dirt even more unique(in color, value and shape) in every location.
    pose A works great for a complete turn around.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Id go with A as well, B feels like there's more focus on the gun than the character.
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    Even if you went away from 'telling a visual story' the additional wear, dirt and small details really helps sell his character without feeling like it compromised with your goal to not ape the common design tropes associated with this kind of character. Really great work with that! I am in agreement about A being a more fitting choice - especially if you are going the a similar arm-pose for the more actionable shot.

Just as a matter of curiosity - how do you split up your maps? Does every garment have its own?
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I really dig the pose where he is walking...btw, hands?  I just assume you pose those last...
  • amirabd2130
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    I like the B. also like the walking pose.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    So with the pose etc. I was trying to make a small scene in marmoset, but it just wasn't working, so I switched over to UE4. I dont have a lot of UE4 experience, iv'e played with it but this will be my first actual project in it. But its a lot of fun so far. This is 2 days of progress on the overall scene, I have most of the elements I want in place. Accepting crits on this, if anyone has any. I'm thinking of having a body hanging from the massive tree in the way far back of the wheat field, just a tiny thing most people wont even notice. Also, not sure about the blackberry bushes on either side of the gate. They're supposed to be climbing the fence, but I might need to pare them back and have an actual fence showing a bit, to help sell it.

Forgive the UI elements and stuff. These screenshots are from inside the editor, and I haven't built the lighting either. I built some of my vegetation incorrectly for lightmaps, so I have to fix their UVS before I can build the lighting correctly, unless anyone knows a workaround, I would love to hear it.

Everything in the scene is mine, most of the vegetation is made from pictures I took in my backyard, everything except the ground texture, which I bought at surface mimic. 

• tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Digging where this is going, sweet progress from the last time i saw it. I'd say A for the standing pose for sure if you are having the gun raised in the walking pose. It's too similar otherwise. My only crit on the walking pose would be maybe tense him up a little? He seems relaxed for a survivor type, even if you are trying to avoid tropes. Maybe add in some 'heard a loud bang' surprise, slightly hunched, a little more torso turn in the direction he's looking, slightly shrugged shoulders, gun raised a hair more? Subtle stuff.

Loving the enviro progress too, gj. It looks just like typical british countryside, exactly like the fields behind my house :) I agree that the gate looks like it's stood alone with bushes surrounding it, doesn't read as a fence. Drop some more poles back there. For a touch of extra realism you could throw in a stile as well, they are extremely common (in the UK anyway) on gates like these. Something like this? http://poplarware.com/jenzach/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/sunday1.jpg

Great stuff man
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Awesome progress Ysalex! Great character, I'm impressed by the quality of your textures. You did a great job with the shaders specially on the skin. I like your scene its coming out great ... It's so cool that yo made your own textures for this scene.  Great job so far i cant wait to see more :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Environment looks really good! Really gives the character a good narrative, keep it up! :)
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Glad you are going all out with this, the character is mint, if you were planning on doing anything else with the environment maybe a little bit of minor set dressing but I am pumped to see how this turns out. :)
  • Rasch
    Offline / Send Message
    Rasch vertex
    ysalex said:
    So with the pose etc. I was trying to make a small scene in marmoset, but it just wasn't working, so I switched over to UE4. I dont have a lot of UE4 experience, iv'e played with it but this will be my first actual project in it. But its a lot of fun so far. This is 2 days of progress on the overall scene, I have most of the elements I want in place. Accepting crits on this, if anyone has any. I'm thinking of having a body hanging from the massive tree in the way far back of the wheat field, just a tiny thing most people wont even notice. Also, not sure about the blackberry bushes on either side of the gate. They're supposed to be climbing the fence, but I might need to pare them back and have an actual fence showing a bit, to help sell it.

Forgive the UI elements and stuff. These screenshots are from inside the editor, and I haven't built the lighting either. I built some of my vegetation incorrectly for lightmaps, so I have to fix their UVS before I can build the lighting correctly, unless anyone knows a workaround, I would love to hear it.

Everything in the scene is mine, most of the vegetation is made from pictures I took in my backyard, everything except the ground texture, which I bought at surface mimic. 

This looks amazing. Great work. The picture on top here looks "interesting", since his head/eyes and gun are all pointing towards something. Really drawing the viewers attention. Looking forward to seeing what it is. You could consider doing the same with the other elements in the scene.
    Also, good choice on the pose. It captures movement, it's not to symmetrical and has a decent line of action, but at least in the top picture, he looks a little bit out of balance. A bit to straight. Maybe a slight weight shift towards his right would help, so that he's got a bit more of a curve to him, favoring the leg that supports the weight of the body. Also, I agree that he's possibly looking a bit to relaxed. I guess it depends on what situation he's supposed to be in.
  • Chantel-sky
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    This is turning out really awesome Ysalex! Really can't wait to see the final shot of this :D
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Looks really good.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Okay, this is the finished version of the character in Toolbag. This is the plinth version, the turnaround version.

I modeled using a combination of Maya, Zbrush, & Marvelous. Everything baked in xnormal, all texture work done in Photoshop. 

For the face details, I used maps from TexturingXYZ, which sped up that part of the workflow a lot, otherwise the face is all sculpted by hand as well. 

Here is the album with higher quality images:

• DanielJohnsson
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielJohnsson polycounter lvl 5
    stunning work! 
  • tda
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Came out fantastic dude, congrats. Love the lighting on that first shot, seriously ominous vibes!
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

• another caveman
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    Very clean work! Would love to actually play it in some survival game ! well done
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Great Job and strong finish!
  • Freud
    Offline / Send Message
    Freud polycounter lvl 8
    Dude, i just saw your character trending on Artstation, super clean work, Awesome work!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I'm late to the party here as I was on a trip but this is looking stunning!
  • jlvwm
    Offline / Send Message
    jlvwm polycounter lvl 3
    Great work! Really inspiring. I like how your work progressed throughout the posts
  • YurkP
    Offline / Send Message
    YurkP null
    I want to cry... Why somebody have so awesome skills!
    Amazing work! I just love it!