Home Unreal Engine

how to merge *.uasset files into projects?

hero character
Offline / Send Message
thomasp hero character
so i got sent a bunch of *.uasset files exported from someone else's install. i can't find any obvious way of importing these into a project here on my computer. drag&drop fails, import dialog does not know the file type, migrate function is not applicable... anything i have missed? engine version is matching on both setups.

i had partial success by simply copying them into my project's folder structure behind unreal ed's back but it broke the materials due to different filepaths to the textures. looking for a better way......?!

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, this is certainly a tricky one alright. Do you also have the texture .uasset files? As you've discovered, because the .uassets are already cooked and referencing other .uassets and their paths, there is no simple way to make this happen. You would be better off requesting the entire cooked package and adding everything from it to the contents of your project. I have looked into this before at great length and one solution I found was a bloke who spent an entire week digging through the binaries and re-routing paths with C# coding..........at that point I stopped looking.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    yeah i have the textures and was sorta able to rebuild the asset but it's not exactly a pleasure this way and i can't be sure i reconnected everything correctly either. mystifying that there's no obvious way to transfer assets. i went through the binaries and got the filepaths. will try mimicking the folder structure to see if that works better but with my luck it'll fail at the drive letter stage.
    this type of stuff would of course be trivial if they didn't save everything in binaries...

thanks!
    (not epic)
  • Vollgaser
    Offline / Send Message
    Vollgaser polycounter lvl 7
    open 2 UEds from the same project, then copy over.
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i did not have the project these came from however, just a bunch of exported files. anyway, taking the path visible in the binaries and matching it exactly minus the drive letter worked. it was only static meshes, materials and textures, did not try with anything fancier than that.
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Glad you got it sorted. I understand why .uassets are the way they are but I wish Epic came up with another system for better portability for situations like this, especially considering the frequency of their updates. Not that I'm complaining on that front. :)