Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC-CSGO | Deagle: Bounty Hunter (finished)

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
I think everyone probably has their own Star Wars story from their childhood.  My childhood version was back in the actual 80's (yes, I am a dinosaur now).  I think I was around 6 or 7 when we saw Return of the Jedi in theater.  I had also seen the first 2 on VHS and was hooked on those amazing stories.

Star Wars action figures were flying off the shelves and to get the cool looking guys at that time was almost impossible.  I was lucky to have been giving an used Boba Fett action figure at that age but had somehow lost it very early on.  I was devastated as a kid because coming across another Boba Fett just was never going to happen.  I ended up playing with my other Star Wars toys for many years...always wishing I still had that cool-ass looking bounty hunter.

I guess this is why my first submission for this sci-fi themed design kinda had to be about Boba Fett.

The image you see is my first sketch attempts at creating a design that feels like it belongs to Boba.  From here, I will start blocking in some of the shapes before I approach the back of the receiver and the top of the receiver.  I will try to post additional images of the sketches before i get too far.

The receiver grip area is still something I am mulling over.  The designs you see over the gun text will probably be more pronounced and I will see how far i can hide the text to keep the design clean.  That will probably be a large determining factor and whether i use gunsmith or custom finish.  The grip area is what probably reads best as being "boba fett" and I will most likely try a lot to make that area work.  The grip is kinda a bitch to work with regarding the after effects....so I am not sure i can create an icon within the center or just end up using the artwork already burned into the gun.   Will see if I can trick it using painted on wear.

Minus all the images of boba fett, can you guys see this as an actual gun belonging to that anti-hero?  (ofc all the actual guns from that series are just plain and black :D)

Replies

• AKTrashheap

Added in some of the shapes on the receiver.  Not sure yet if i will include designs on the back of the receiver and on the top back part.  Wear will be a huge factor to making this gun work, so i might leave those areas blank and beat the crap out of it :)

Next challenge is the grip area and figuring out if I will do this in custom or gunsmith (or make a version of each)
  • Ego_Death
    Offline / Send Message
    Ego_Death vertex
    Looking forward to seeing how this progresses :D
  • EmkaStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    EmkaStudios vertex
    Looking good broski
  • AKTrashheap

Starting working on the texture for the receiver.  Also put some time into the grip but will probably refine the shapes a bit more.  Tonight, I will most likely create the decal for the grip area and start texturing more.  I hope to complete this for the weekend but goal number 1 is making this design super solid.
  • AKTrashheap
    Thanks Emka and Ego death :blush:
  • AKTrashheap

Finished most of the texturing on the green areas.   I am 95% done on the grip design.  Now, things get fun and I can work on the other decal parts and make them look "sprayed" on and used.  Afterwards, I will start adding in the overall texture wear (not on the alpha yet).  Hopefully, will complete these tasks by tonight.

FYI, I have only used a 3d program for a total of a few minutes.  the vast majority has been completed just using the 2d texture and reviewing in the workshop
  • Ego_Death
    Offline / Send Message
    Ego_Death vertex
    Yeah this is really starting to take shape. Can't wait for that surface wear :D
  • EmkaStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    EmkaStudios vertex
    Grip is fabolous
  • wannabe
    Offline / Send Message
    wannabe polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the shapes you got going on there but overall i feel it's a little too much on the green side. Did you try breaking it up a little?
  • AKTrashheap
    The wear i create should hopefully break up the green more.  I could have added in other elements as well but I am a sucker for texture and simplicity....that and I want to keep it well within the realms of blue/purple.   I dunno, my main draw to boba fett is the sense of realism and the military space vibe he throws out.   I had considered throwing in another yellow/white strip across the entirety of the receiver but it didn't look right.  I want the viewers eye to be drawn onto the front part of the receiver which is the strongest point of design when it is being held. (hence the subtle design on the rest of the receiver).  Please let me know what you think when you see the wear near completion.   Its always tough finding the right balance.
  • dcneil
    Offline / Send Message
    dcneil polygon
    This is looking nice so far. 
  • AKTrashheap
    dcneil said:
    This is looking nice so far. 
    Thanks!  im trying to keep the overall design simple and have the texture work do most of the talking
  • AKTrashheap

Did some of the red, yellow, and black texturing.  I will probably pull back on the yellow wear a bit.  Next will be adding in the wear on the red, black and then green areas of the weapon (not alpha yet).  The second image is Field-tested test i did in order to see how the grey parts show up.  might darken the grey areas a bit to see how it contrasts with the black undercoat.
  • AKTrashheap

Just a bit more texturing left then i can move onto the alpha wear.  Still have some work to do on the back end and front of the barrel as well.

btw, emu, i added those details on the side of the receiver to have a bit more grey to break up the green a bit more.  Hopefully can accomplish a bit more with the final wear i do on the green texture.
  • AKTrashheap

I added in a bit more "pop", did more texturing, and added a slight splotches of saturated green around edges to give a better sense of sun bleaching/wear.

I am hesistant to add in deep scratches similar to Boba's armor because I am not sure how similar that might read.  I want this gun to stand on it's own.  I might try some on the surface level scratches but that will be it for the green.
  • wannabe
    Offline / Send Message
    wannabe polycounter lvl 18
    I am pretty sure the gun will look "better" with a little wear to it. Some guns tend to look strange or rather too perfect when they're factorynew. I can see this wearing very well :blush:
  • AKTrashheap
    Ya, i hear you regarding the wear.  I wish the default wear on the deagle was silver and not black.  won't it seem a bit odd to have some surface wear with like a grey metal and when the engine wears it, there is black?
  • AKTrashheap

Been playing around with wear for hours now.  Most of my masks looked either too strong or the wear was too small in scale.  I thought this was a decent balance to not  jump out at you but still be noticable for the overall feel.  I dunno.  should i add more/differently.  feedback is more than needed.  I will walk away for now and wait to hear views.

I have a pattern and a cool idea no one has tried I am going to start playing with :0
  • EmkaStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    EmkaStudios vertex
    I wanna see crusty paint...damage..chipped metal....deep scratches, not only in the paint but on the metal itself(engrave wear) either washed out color scheme or shinny alloys
  • AKTrashheap

I switched over from custom to gunsmith.  I wasn't sold on the wear being black and the chipped effect just seems to work better.

I will probably add some more darker wear spots on the main texture, and i need to work on the front of the barrel, then i can call this puppy done.

I will probably do a Blue, orange, white alternative version.
  • AKTrashheap

The screens are Factory new at .06 and Battle-scarred at .60   The full range is .06 - .85

Finished up the texturing on the green.  I added a new relief on the sides of the receiver and finally added in the backsight artwork.  I am super happy with how this weapon wears.  at 60% wear is imo the sweet spot and definitely what gives this design the full "Boba" effect.  Time to grab those in-game screenshots and call it a day.
  • AKTrashheap
    Alright, weapon has been posted.  I am super happy with how it came out.  Thanks to all those who gave me feedback and help (you guys know who you are)

Here is the link to the final  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=693110593  .  Texture sheets are on there as well.  Feel free to hit me up with questions or techniques I used in order to get the final design.  I am happy to share what little stuff i know :0.

• AKTrashheap
    I ended up posted two versions.  The first a Gunsmith finish and a second a Custom paint finish.  Here are the texture sheets so you can see my process :)