Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chinese Temple Environment

TehBadger
null
Hi Guys, my second post on here (posted on a fair few hours ago with a different project)

This is the Final Year Project that I had create during my university course and any and all feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    cool concept. i think the interior pieces are the strongest by far.  You're exterior shots seems really washed out ,the colors are very desaturated and your greens are all over the place, I think it would help if you're green colors are similar in tone.  Your lighting seems a bit harsh, really black shadows, perhaps try adding some color to your shadows, just IMO
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6

1st image:

The entrance to the temple is almost purely back (it is too dark), there should be some bounce light similar to this:

If it is going to be that bright out, the inside of the temple should be much darker.

2nd image:

- the grass is too noisy (too small of details)

- the tree texture is too blurry. Find a middle ground where all the textures have the same scale of detail. (the bark is very zoomed-in, while the grass is very zoomed-out)

3rd image:

- the skybox (or background texture?) is very blurry.

- the railings seem very low (you could double the height)
    - that god ray at the left is confusing. (if there is a god ray that bright, there should be a lot of clouds (which would shade a lot of the ground around it)

- the valley is lacking details (you could add large rocks or something there) as it is right now it is just empty space.

- check out tree normals or foliage in the wiki at the top of the website (the tree leaves have too much contrast)

- add more variety in the grass planes

4th image:

- again, check out foliage tutorials and "foliage" on the wiki at the top of the website. (especially check out Eric Chadwick's breakdown)

- The surface of the water seems very dark compared to the ambient light/skybox (maybe use a brighter hue, or make the texture a bit more translucent (less opaque)

- you should add some details on the surface of the water (some leaves or rocks/etc)

5th image:

- there is too much ambient light (darken it down a bit)

- there is ambient light but no visual lightsource. (where is that light coming from?)

- add some details on the ceiling

- add some variety on the walls to break the complete symmetry of the room, or to make it more interesting to look at.

Other than that, it's looking good. I like the ideas that you are going for.