Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - The Gentle Soul

vertex
Offline / Send Message
OBSTEG0X vertex
First Post Edit Final Submission
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Full Frame Shot

Close Up Shot

Wire Frame

UV Sheets

Thank you to everyone that provided feedback. This was a fun opportunity, and my first contest to enter. I wish all of you luck I have seen some amazing work on this thread. For all of you keep up the good work and I hope to see you on the forums. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original First Post
Here is my intro, I am getting a slower start than I wanted but things will come around. Please feel free to give me feedback. 

Character creation thoughts: Not all Beast are born nor is it in all of their nature. Some Beast are created due to the cruelness of others.

Inspiration and Reference Material:

I am concepting this model as I go, but I do have a quick sketch over of my Zbrush base to help give me some direction. (The final product may not resemble this at all.)

My progress so far.

Base mesh after zsphere's.

And some progress shots.

Replies

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    A few more updated shots for the evening. 

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Update for the Evening. :)

I think I am pretty much done with blocking out the concept of this guy. I'm going to start in on all the fun details now. :)

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    I am happily moving on to the fun stuff now. 

• Nitecon
    I really like this one, I see my boys sitting with their legs like that pose often while playing with toys and combined with the first picture in the above post I have immediate compassion for it.  The second picture is definitely cool as hell but kinda removes from the innocent look somewhat for me but that is just my opinion.  Great work though loving it.
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Thank you very much for the feedback! :) I know I still need to get my story written up for this guy but your comment already has me happy. 

I got this guys sitting pose from watching my 4 year old, I like the innocence that it has.

This Beast has been created, he has been mistreated since birth and used as a monster, so he does not know any other way other than being a savage beast. Because of this I want the viewer to have mixed feelings of compassion and fear. The same type of feelings that you would have for a wild animal that has been hurt or diseased and you just want to help it, but you can't because you know if you get too close it will hurt/kill you. 

To help out, I will be giving him a dandelion that he will be blowing on in the final product. :)
  • Tadow
    nice detailing on the face
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Thank you very much for the complement! I took a look at your character, that is a great pose. I really liked the view from the top looking down. I can't wait to see where you take the design!
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Skin is pretty much done, now on to other things. :)

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Giving myself a bump here and hoping to get some critique. I have been working on hammering out the details trying to breathe a little life into this character. I feel he is really starting to come along design wise. There is still bit to do, I am hoping to get to all of the leather work on his lower body very soon and then the environment shortly after that. 

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Okie dokie, this may be my last update before I start the re-topo process and move on to texturing. I would expect to see more rocks and debris on the pedestal, and the dandelion that the beast is holding will also get an Emissive Map so that you can see it better. 

If you have any love or hate you want to share with me I would love to hear about it. 

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Since it looks like the contest will be pushed back a week I am going to go ahead and post some progress shots since its been a while.

Right now since I have the extra time I am pushing my textures and tweaking the lighting. This is only a test shot, the first screen I took after importing to Marmoset and adding some quick lights. His eye will get some love too. :)

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Alrighty, I got some work done with my shaders and I was able to tweak with some of the textures. Things are getting closer, YAY! I am still trying to work out my presentation. I am trying to find a balance between a dark moody scene and having enough light to show off some of the detail. These will prolly be my my last shots until I submit my finals. If anyone has any last feedback thoughts, let me know. :)

• Pixelgorilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    Looks really good!
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Thanks for the feedback! I have kept an eye on yours too, those textures are looking fantastic!
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Ok, ok. I promise this is the last one until I post my final renders. I think I finally nailed the lighting. 

• razzman
    Offline / Send Message
    razzman polycounter lvl 7
    Looking good man! But it feels a bit too monochromic to me. I would add some contrast for some parts/details (colors) to stand out more-if you do not mind.
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    I can understand this, color is actually one thing I have been trying to work into this piece. I have placed this guy in a "Mad Max" style world with zero bathtubs and lots of dirt lol, but I do hope to get something to pop.
  • Zielarz
    Offline / Send Message
    Zielarz vertex
    Good theme. I dig the reference and how the final model looks. Nice outfit design. Will there be any other color of the background? Maybe more like sky? Keep on working! :)

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    I know I keep saying no more shots until the final renders, but I keep doing new things I like lol. This is my most recent render that I have been sitting on for a bit and I am leaning heavily towards keeping. I know there seems to be some concern about the color but I have decided I am happy with the template. I even watched Mad Max again to make sure I'm allowed to make everything brown.  :p

• fantasymaster
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    I love the desert setting. Fitts nicely with your beast. 
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    FANTASYMASTER I have been watching your entry progress I can't wait to see the finished product!
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex

Full Frame Shot

Close Up Shot

Wire Frame

UV Sheets

Thank you to everyone that provided feedback. This was a fun opportunity, and my first contest to enter. I wish all of you luck I have seen some amazing work on this thread. For all of you keep up the good work and I hope to see you on the forums. 
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    It doesn't say to mention it in the rules but I guess listing my tools wouldn't hurt.

The following tools were used in the creation of this entry.

Zbrush
    3ds Max
    Substance Painter
    Photoshop
    xNormal
    Marmoset Toolbag 2.0

All textures were done in Substance Painter. Photoshop was used for some UV and color correction.

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    It doesn't say to mention it in the rules but I guess listing my tools wouldn't hurt.

The following tools were used in the creation of this entry.

Zbrush
    3ds Max
    Substance Painter
    Photoshop
    xNormal
    Marmoset Toolbag 2.0

All textures were done in Substance Painter. Photoshop was used for some UV and color correction.
  • OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    ^^Not sure what happened. :o

• OBSTEG0X
    Offline / Send Message
    OBSTEG0X vertex
    Was reading through the Q&A and saw that Jerc wanted the story in text format if possible. Hope this isn't too late or a problem.  :'( 

Story Text Format

This is not the story of a love lost but of a love never gained.

This seemingly immortal "Beast" is a story of legend. Not every monster is a monster by nature or by choice, some are created simply due to the cruelty of others. Even in his battle ridden life this beast is able to find the beauty in a tranquil moment when the breeze is blowing just right.

(70 Words)