Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - The Dark Prince - Xyodin

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
DavidCruz interpolator
The Dark Prince:
Goal: Xyodin wanted power and strength and the ability to take on foes on any plain.

Story:
Xyodin discovered an ancient witches dwelling while on one of his many journey's looking for anything or person whom could fulfill his wish, he found a trinket which looked very valuable though it was over a small lake within the witches lair, while claiming the trinket he was attacked by a bat and a snake and fell into the lake.  Unknowing to him he just encountered "the elements or Land, Sea and Air", the cursed trinket granted his wish as it once did for the witch.  He had his desires fulfilled but it was at a great cost, he was hideous and could not retain his kingdom and riches, now walks the earth seeking out the witch.

Latest stage:

25,760 tris, this took a while, i went ham i guess.

Trinket in story, might try to get away with it as is.

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    True Quad Base, This felt good to do actually.

Progress #1: 

Edited
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Progress #2:
    Colors (prob) & Wings.

Edited: Updated.
    The wings are Pteradon wings if anyone is wondering.
    Edit 2:
    Figuring out what to do as far as accessories and possible cloths go, perhaps a weapon but he's pretty op by himself i think.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Quick and Dirty Cloth Concept, I like it a lot, going with those colors also.  Made to break up the symmetry, debating on keeping the standard human looking bits.

The Symbol/emblem design on his head you can't really see is his kingdom's crest which is his name, the X's on the cylinder objects is his initial.

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Probably going to change the front soft bits to scalled "shell" type of thing.  Also will probably change up the hands/feet to something I've been thinking about.
    Just a w.i.p. have to hand do the wrinkles =/ good practice anyway, I used marvelous designer only as a means to learn how folds work in real time, took yesterday off to relax & to "learn" a bit of that.

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Feet/Hands change, I like these better probably needs a bit more work but the idea is there.

Just updating as per what the participation thread states.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    hi

eyes

pose test (thinking of no wings...idk, input?)
  • Pixelgorilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    I think I like it better without the wings. Maybe the wings are folded up instead of spread out? Great style and colors.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    I think I like it better without the wings. Maybe the wings are folded up instead of spread out? Great style and colors.
    Great idea, the sketch thumbnail that i created this from did have them closed. Thanks Gorilla.

Update info: Sorting "anatomy (bone structure/length) issues", retopologizing for game mesh atm (this is how i spotted the issue).

Design Break down (for those that care): A little more info and break down on whats going on here for anyone confused or wanting to know more.
    Upper torso is a "beast design" mixed with a shark, the wings i explained about above,
     the "would be feet/legs" are a combo of legs (Thighs / lower leg) and then transition into elbow arm + hand style 'feet' that can grab like an eagle or regular hand.

You can also think of the "legs" as just arms and maybe that will help, so I want the wings to grab also, so if the above is true he would have 6 "arms", and the 3 snake tails would equal the lower half. So centaur / snake - serpent / bat - shark / human hybrid.

Complications atm: I tried using the Noise option in zbrush but any noise turns out to not look so hot for what i want I also never really used it.

Image updates when I make them, rushing is not helping, half way done with retopo.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator

Just updating, i made the meshes in quad so that i can add details if i feel like it.  
    Also higher count cause why not, we have 100k.
    Generating ideas atm for the pose scene, stuff.. 
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Possible Pose - semitextured (not much) - my wirepack without ipackthat, i used the demo i did better.

Maybe this makes more sense now seeing him posed, that is the idea i want 2nd image is the point i tried to get across.

Might change to two maps learning we can use 4, maybe change it maybe not I want to enter the artstation one also just because i enjoy when all the artists are doing stuff almost "together", obviously again i'll try to create an semi-original idea.

Hope you like this, i might change the wings up to closed over him, this was a quick and dirty pose hence texture +errors.  

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Trinket in story, I also drew up my pedestal and i fell in love i really hope it works out...

^ almost exactly how i want it in the end, obviously with better lighting and such. Hope someone likes it, drew it up today as well as the pedestal.
    might not zbush it.

Also split the maps already and i made this to cover up the space i had, will have a chain or rope.

Edit this is why that one hand is open, he was looking at it before looking up.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Pedestal Today's update:

Going to try to do more to it but idk, time is tightening up.
    Now onto bakes, textures, unwrap this thing, texture, fix pose, lighting, final.

• th3b34st
    It is me but i am having giant issues posting and coming online:

Idk... i would have been ontime...

Enjoy it anyway, thanks peeps was fun and great.

• Pixelgorilla
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    Great job! Those colors look amazing! Good luck!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Don't worry, a few hours late is fine, you're still in the competition!
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Thank you guys, I made a video because i see the pictures as only showing one side of him and not the entire design and since this did take a long while for me and my system, (can't even get past 10million in zbrush on anything, as an example, let alone working with all those layers in photoshop.)  

I felt this video would be better for those that want to see more.

Anywho, thank you Jerc especially for letting me know, we ha a thunder storm in my area and that caused issues but thanks.

Here is the video for those that want to see more:
    https://youtu.be/1GvZkFzxo0U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GvZkFzxo0U

^Trying to embed.

Sorted out the stuff and things for my folio:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/50XEg
    Did not change anything, cause i'm not a douche like that.
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Looks pretty good! A bit late to comment now but one thing that I feel could be improved is the spectacular which feels a bit uniform. I also feel that the purple rags seem to clash with the rest of the colors. It might be a little too saturated to fit the rest of the design.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Thanks yea, I have to sort out my processes, and upgrade to shortcuts and a bunch of other stuff since new apps came out and i was still using very old methods to get this done, overlaying textures and all that to get results, it just bothers me a bit to work on textures now in like 1 or 2 days and call it done... I started to love texturing and then things all changed lol... 
    But thanks for the comments I might revisit him since i "designed" it if i learn anything new, was looking for a post for somone and just came across your reply thanks again.