Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d Character Dev based on 'Lost Boy' by Ash Thorp (fanart)

mik.fisher
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
mik.fisher polycounter lvl 5
Hey there,

This is my first post in the community trying to share some of the work I am currently working on.
For my final year personal proyect at Teessiode Uni, I was creating a 3d Character based on the 'Lost Boy' world by Ash Thorp.
http://www.ashthorp.com/lost-boy
Here there are some pictures of the development process. The final artwork will be an in-game character fully textured. Still so much work to do but enjoying the process so far.
I will try to keep updated this post as I do with the personal blog for the uni. 
http://blogs.tees.ac.uk/masteringpolygons/
Hope you like it. Can't wait to show this bad guy finished :smile: 

Comments & feedback are always welcome

Replies

• mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    Some screenshots of the retopology progress. It is not finished, still needs to be polished and add more parts of the design.

• mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been testing the model using KeyShot. I did a quick pose and captured a few renders 4 fun. Hope you like it 

• mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    I had planned to post stuff more often, it is just I am not used to. Anyway, I need to create a habit from this.

There are some updates since the last time. I worked more on the face detail because it was one weak part and one of the most important aspects of a character. I applied some alphas on it and tried to blend all the textures in order to achieve believable skin surface. For the coloring, I used several photos and painted the model using the ZApplink tool. I knew this method, but it was the first time I used it in Zbrush and I felt like I had more control than other techniques. I found a few disadvantages but I am really pleased with the overall result as a base to work with.

These are some images of the first tests and something I could call final (still need to fix a few things) rendered in Keyshot. 
    Feedback is always welcome, I would really appreciate any constructive critique. 

• mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the purposes of this project was to learn Substance Painter and add this tool to my workflow. It became a standard in the industry in the recent years, so I gave it an opportunity and it has not disappointed me. I spent a week learning some tricks and found it really useful for hard-surface and clothing. The only disadvantage I find is in organic texturing, think it is difficult to manage it in the way it works and I can get better results using other software.

The following shots show how I applied some texturing techniques on the mechanical arms of the character. I would say that this is just how I've been testing the software more than final results, but I think it is getting there (not a hard-surface type of guy). There are parts I still need to figure out how they would look like with the concept illustrations and some references. Also, I need to play a bit more with the roughness channel.

As always, comments & critiques are welcome.

• mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first time I do real-time hair. I tried to figure out the best option to do it achieving a good quality. I was not a fan of the photo texture or creating my own with some brushes in Photoshop, so... I came up with this. I did a base using Fibermesh in Zbrush that was awful but worked for what I wanted. I rendered the base hair to get the diffuse map and the alpha mask that I applied to different planes with opacity. I also baked a normal map using Xnormal to give it more depth.

I am sure there is another tutorial on the Internet explaining the same process, but I didn't research enough. Also, I don't know if there is a better way to do it or maybe with another software. I have to try more options, but, at the moment, I though this was the easiest and fastest way.

About the final result, I still have to modify a few things, but, as always, comments and critiques are always welcome.

• mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    There is only one week left until the deadline for the final submission. It isn't much time for what I want, but, in any case, I will continue working on this bad guy in the future.

Last week, I posed the character, fixed some problems with the topology, added more pieces to the model and modified the unwrap. Also, I have been playing with Substance to improve the textures. Still so much work to do on this side of the project.

Next week I will post some shots with the character posed, a turnaround, some tests with a proper light setup, etc.

I keep going, hope you like the progress and, as always, feedback is always welcome. :)

• Luc4998
    Offline / Send Message
    Luc4998 vertex
    I really like it :) maybe its me just ntpicking but mabye add a part to the side of his glasses where its screwed in to his skull or something. Or maybe some scars around the edge?

• mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    Luc4998 hey thanks man  :) 

yeah, I know what u mean and he will have this kind of detail in the final version, I don't think for this week, but I have things planned for the future.
    I am using this concept as the main reference. I want to add some skin detail as u mentioned, scars, maybe some blood over the face, stickers on the mechanical arms, pins on the punk jacket and damage more the clothes. 

http://41.media.tumblr.com/8e6b462a0449ee7d64186c0a7353ed89/tumblr_n2dt823Vwk1qetwo2o1_1280.jpg 
  • mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to call it done because 'deadline'.

I reworked the texture of the arms, added more detail to the clothing and polished a few more things. I will finish some things I have in mind in the future.

Gonna do renders n stuff. As always, comments and critiques are welcome. :)

• mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    Last week, I did these images for the final submission. I still want to add and fix things, but I'm gonna leave it by now.

Hope you guys like it ! :) I'll try to keep posting more and new stuff. C&C are welcome.

• mik.fisher
    Offline / Send Message
    I did this comp to showcase the model, I added a few things and still plan to add more. This is rendered in Marmoset.
    I would really appreciate professional feedback in order to improve rendering, lighting and composition.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/wZVx6