Home General Discussion

I don't like to be associated with the term ''artist''

Replies

• battlecow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    battlecow polycounter lvl 12
    This is a pretty masturbatory topic... what do you care what other people think?
    Making "art" is about feeling purpose in your craft, if you are seeking acknowledgment from others you really are wasting your time and to me you're a fake.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Stinger88 said:
    And No...Animators are not artists they are strange folk that live neither in the dark nor the light. They should be approached with great care and only when absolutely necassary.

Hey now, just because we play with puppets and stare at people all day, it doesn't mean we are strange. 
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    lefix said:
    Does it really matter? Everyone assumes I do programming when I tell them I am a game artist :pensive: 
    I can relate to this so much! I then usually explain to people what I do and it's all good, but the first reaction is "so... you programme the game?" hehe.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Haha, every time.
    Solved that by starting to programm so I can just say "yes", programming is really rewarding tho
  • 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    Seriously, if you care this much what other people think of you, you've got bigger fish to fry tbh
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Once you're working and getting paid you'll care significantly less about what people label you as.

Also you are on a board for modelling bald space marines and/or penises.  Don't take the whole thing so seriously. ;)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    This is fun: when you are older and have a bit of grey hair, get yourself a nice suit and stand with a group of businessmen. When they inquire about your profession the answer artist throws them a curve ball none of them knows how to deal with. You see them looking at the suit and at the same time trying to figure out how to keep their wife's checkbook out of your reach!

Engineers are just that, but artists are eternally groovey.
  • kneedeepinthedoomed
    kanga said:
    This is fun: when you are older and have a bit of grey hair, get yourself a nice suit and stand with a group of businessmen. When they inquire about your profession the answer artist throws them a curve ball none of them knows how to deal with. You see them looking at the suit and at the same time trying to figure out how to keep their wife's checkbook out of your reach!
    Excellent!