Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ART DUMP - Far Cry Primal

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JobyeK polycounter lvl 13
Hey all!

Today is Far Cry Primal's release day, which means...we can all post our art for it for the world to see!

Over the last year, before I left Ubisoft Toronto, I had the chance to lead up a small team of artists to help our Biomes team at Ubisoft Montreal create over half the vegetation that populates the open world of Far Cry Primal.

Between the individual asset renders and the in-level screenshots below, you'll be able to see my individual contributions as well as that of my Toronto teammates' (Darren Horrocks & Yukiko Otsu) in the context of various levels across the Open World. For more info on my role and contributions, check out my website, www.jobyek.com!

Big thanks to Adam Lacharité, Pascal de Sampaio and Agustin Trechi over at Ubisoft Montreal who helped Darren, Yukiko and I hit the quality that Far Cry demands with its vegetation. It was all our first time at doing vegetation and having their help and patience during all of production was invaluable.

I'll try and get other artists to post up their work on here too, lots of great artwork that went into the game!

As usual, if you have any questions about the work, I'll do my best to answer!

[Individual asset shots have been removed as per Ubisoft's request. Sorry all.]

Replies

• Fozwroth
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great! Congrats on the release
  • radm0bile
    Offline / Send Message
    radm0bile polycounter lvl 9
    Killer shots dude!
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    Nice I would be especially interested in plants and foliage breakdowns :) I like it. Did you actually visited my country as well? If I'm not mistaken some of this should be Slovakia in ancient times. :wink: 

• Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Can't wait to see more Jobye, these are very awesome!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice work. Congrats!
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    That is some impressive foliage, congrats on the release!
  • mats effect
    Awesome! Played about an hour this evening and spent a lot of time looking at the assets lol.
  • JBelay
    Great work! It would be great to get some insight into your process. Starting with reference and concept art, what do you look for when breaking down what your vegetation asset collection is going to look like to make the environment believable but economical.  Also what is the creation process for one of these assets like? Are you guys painting by hand or sourcing from photographic ref? Looking forward to playing the game!
  • josh_lynch
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Congrats on the release, that is fantastic work! It looks great and the isolated foliage shows off really well too. Very inspiring stuff!
  • Intervain
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    nice stuff Jobye!
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Hey, thanks for sharing... stuff look super neat! I think i will get the game just to check the foliage on it :)
    Yeah it would be nice to see some break downs and hear from you guys what kind of things did you have in consideration to create the whole set... number of variations of each mesh, process on some of the textures, how far did you guys go with details/highpolies...modules for composing the final assets, lods, tools....
    The snow is is on the textures as well or is it some tech tool?

Foliage is usually a difficult issue, but you guys did a very good job with it!
  • teaandcigarettes
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff :) The spruces in particular turned out really good.
  • steve0
    Offline / Send Message
    steve0 polycounter lvl 5
    Congrats on the release and for sharing! Great stuff. 
  • dystopianghost
    Offline / Send Message
    dystopianghost polycounter lvl 10
    Great stuff can't wait to see more :smiley: 
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    beautiful biomes! congrats
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Love this vegetation work!
  • kernersvillan
    Offline / Send Message
    kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
    Really gorgeous work man!
  • ZeGerman
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeGerman null
    Awesome work. Already pre-ordered. Stoked just to see the environments.
  • CrazyMoon
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyMoon polycounter lvl 3
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Thanks for sharing, the assets look stellar. As above posters said, it would be great with more breakdowns, but If not I totally understand why. Congratulations on finishing the project.
  • JobyeK
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster said:
    Nice I would be especially interested in plants and foliage breakdowns :) I like it. Did you actually visited my country as well? If I'm not mistaken some of this should be Slovakia in ancient times. :wink: 

No further breakdowns for now unfortunately! I'll probably try and make a write-up on some of our techniques though, some of it has been covered in previous GDC talks from programmers, but would be worth condensing in one place!

No field trips unfortunately :P!

JBelay
    said:
    Great work! It would be great to get some insight into your process. Starting with reference and concept art, what do you look for when breaking down what your vegetation asset collection is going to look like to make the environment believable but economical.  Also what is the creation process for one of these assets like? Are you guys painting by hand or sourcing from photographic ref? Looking forward to playing the game!
    From a high-level, each of the 3 major biomes had one assistant art director who was in charge of them. They sourced the main refs and assured the creation a high-level concept art of the feel each biome would have. Then our tech artists in MTL would take that and break it down into the specific assets we'd need based on ref as well as our memory budgets. Across each biome, they tried to maximize the sharing of certain trees to help both in terms of memory and in visual blending between each biome.

We honestly didn't go too fancy in terms of texture creation this time around, it was heavy photographic ref sourcing from online sources and our Texture Artists would create the Diff/Norm/Roughness/etc. from there. One thing our MTL counterparts taught us is that sourcing ref with the scientific name of a tree/bush/etc. produces great refs! For the modeling, we relied heavily on the high-level refs as well as our own sourced ones.

_Kratos_
    said:
    Hey, thanks for sharing... stuff look super neat! I think i will get the game just to check the foliage on it :)
    Yeah it would be nice to see some break downs and hear from you guys what kind of things did you have in consideration to create the whole set... number of variations of each mesh, process on some of the textures, how far did you guys go with details/highpolies...modules for composing the final assets, lods, tools....
    The snow is is on the textures as well or is it some tech tool?

Foliage is usually a difficult issue, but you guys did a very good job with it!
    Compared to FC4, in terms of raw variations of each species of trees, we went for less (2 max per tree rather than 3-4), but then that helped us execute on nearly double the types of biomes and focus on blending the biomes into each other nicely. As far as modeling and texturing, we kept it pretty simple, no high-poly modeling was used for trunk models or what not as we had no macro normals, just straight tiles for the most part and we got a lot of custom details in by straight modeling in 3DSMax & SpeedTree. No high-poly modeling was used really for the textures, just straight up masterful work on the part of our Texture Artists in both nDo2 & CrazyBump.

As for the creation process, might be good for me to do a little blog post on that and expand slightly on one of 3D Programmer's talk from GDC last year: http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1022234/Rendering-the-World-of-Far (he touches on the vegetation pipeline during the talk). It's a pretty neat and efficient process that's worth sharing!

For the snow, it's all directly in the textures :)! As for snow (and moss!) on the bottom of the trunks, that was handled by a combo of a mask + baked AO generated from SpeedTree.
  • _Kratos_
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Hey! Thanks for taking the time to answer ;) I will definitly check the GDC talk!
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6

Do you know who the level designers are that worked on Far Cry Primal?

• Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    great work Jobye! 
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    @JobyeK  ty for that link, I was about to search internet wasteland but you saved me some typing. I'm gonna absorb it all now. Thank you. Would still love to see atlases or wires. I assume atlasing of textures was done by SpeedTree or did you take some measures to maximize texture space? Eg packing whole specie to single atlas or things like that. Were branches hand modelled or it is default mesh from SpeedTree? I again assume you used custom meshes for branches to have more control over shape.

• cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    That link provided me with some insights, it is basically exactly same technique (trees LOD) as used in Unreal Kite demo. 
  • JobyeK
    Offline / Send Message

Do you know who the level designers are that worked on Far Cry Primal?

Once the credits hit online, you should peruse the names, only know those in Toronto for the most part!

cupsster said:
    @JobyeK  ty for that link, I was about to search internet wasteland but you saved me some typing. I'm gonna absorb it all now. Thank you. Would still love to see atlases or wires. I assume atlasing of textures was done by SpeedTree or did you take some measures to maximize texture space? Eg packing whole specie to single atlas or things like that. Were branches hand modelled or it is default mesh from SpeedTree? I again assume you used custom meshes for branches to have more control over shape.

Definitely can't post any wires or textures unfortunately. Atlassing of textures was done by hand in Photoshop, we worked closely with Texture Artists to get the best layout possible to maximize size of the elements as well as making sure we can cut the cards tight around them to reduce dead pixels and overdraw.

As you possibly saw in the talk, the trunk + leaf clusters are two separate objects and so we have all the large branches and such in the trunk mesh. Smaller/medium branches were typically on the texture sheets as a separate element to the leaves (no leaves on the branches in the texture) and then we'd build a nice medium/small branch cluster with both those alpha branches and leaves along it to give it a nice 3D look. I definitely think I'll be delving into this deeper in a blog post :).
  • crazylegs
    Offline / Send Message
    crazylegs polycounter lvl 5
    Hello everyone!

I'm following Jobye's art dump initiative by showing you guys a bit of my texture work on our game! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask :smile: 

Cheers!

• hmm_rock
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    @crazylegs I've never been so inspired by wicker *w* Any insight on your creation process? Substance or sculpts?
  • cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    @JOBYEK Definitevely drop link to that intended blogpost here as well :)
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Hey, just wanted to follow up @JobyeK  & @crazylegs (Loved that ice man, I used it all over the Mammoth Epic Hunt)

I was lucky enough to be a part of both the Biome team as a vegetation artist, and the map's team as a level artist on the BloodTusk Epic Hunt.

Here are some shots!
    Biome -

Level Art - BloodTusk Epic Hunt

Thanks for taking a look :) Hope you liked it. 
    Cheers
  • EatenByBats
    Offline / Send Message
    EatenByBats polycounter lvl 10
    Incredible work, guys.