Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WWI era Colt 1911

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
cR45h polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, here's something I've been working on between projects for quite some time now. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but don't let that stop you from leaving any criticism you might have.

First the beauty shot:

And than some other random shots;

Viewer link that I don't want to embed (or know how to even if I wanted to):
http://private.crash-3d.com/marmoset_viewer/1911/1911_fin.html

This was textured in Photoshop with a basic wear mask exported from Substance Painter. Texture sheets are 4k and the model is ~9.5k tris.

Crits and comments are more than welcome :smiley: 

Replies

• theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    Whoah! Dat wear tho! Good job man ;)
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Good job :)
    Maybe it's me, but I think the gun metal reads as painted worn wood right now, like the metal underneath has that brownish color and noise which to me reads as wood.
  • nomity
    Offline / Send Message
    nomity polycounter lvl 5
    Hi very nice model you have here . would you give my some advice or can you post screen of wires i am working also on m1911 here is my theard http://polycount.com/discussion/164028/another-colt-m1911#latest  
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    nomity said:
    Hi very nice model you have here . would you give my some advice or can you post screen of wires i am working also on m1911 here is my theard http://polycount.com/discussion/164028/another-colt-m1911#latest  
    You can check the marmoset viewer link in my original post for wires/flats. Your model seems okay so far, especially considering its your second weapon. There are some accuracy issues here and there but thats not too relevant when you're establishing your workflow. Just keep at it and you should learn everything you need to along the way. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions :wink: 
  • maxivz
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    This things is smoking! Really nice work man. Some suggestions would be to make the scratches whiter and the rounds on the magazine could use a bit more of work as well.
    Other than that outstanding as always, love the color variations you get in the textures.

• alban
    @cR45h Neat! With @Sketchfab you can embed a real-time 3D view right here in polycount :)
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    maxivz said:
    This things is smoking! Really nice work man. Some suggestions would be to make the scratches whiter and the rounds on the magazine could use a bit more of work as well.
    Other than that outstanding as always, love the color variations you get in the textures.

Thanks. Definitely planning to desaturate the wear a bit since I apparently went overboard with it. The bullets in the mag look odd because theres no AO map on them. Its more of a matter of playing with the lightning/shadows than anything to do with the texture. Will mess around with that once I do the edits to the texture. Thanks a bunch for the input :smiley: 
  • lbigbirdl
    This looks really great.  What is throwing it off right now is that there is no wear on the hammer, grip safety, sights, barrel, or internals.

Here is a picture of many pistol barrels with normal wear from slide contact.
    http://www.xd-hs2000.com/images/barrels.jpg
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looks good although the edge definition seems way too uniform, erasing around 15-20% of the prominent drybrushing lines to break them up a bit would leave with a much more plausible looking wear. The materials of the bullets look fake, and I can't really appreciate the blue light in the beauty shot.
    Id also turn the weapon around and make a front shot, something about the back end breaks the immersion of the metal material for me, and generally you wouldnt show back sides of things in a main photo
  • kunalht
    Offline / Send Message
    kunalht polycounter lvl 2
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    lbigbirdl said:
    This looks really great.  What is throwing it off right now is that there is no wear on the hammer, grip safety, sights, barrel, or internals.

Here is a picture of many pistol barrels with normal wear from slide contact.
    http://www.xd-hs2000.com/images/barrels.jpg
    All the stuff you mentioned are a different material than the rest of the gun and they get a lot less wear in real life. Heres a ref that outlines that (note hammer, sliderelease, trigger, grip safety and thumb safety):

There is some subtle wear on my texture that I think gives enough contrast between the main metal and these parts without making them look completely separate.

I'm not sure how you got the sights in that list tho, they have as much wear as their size will allow without me going overboard. Check that marmoset viewer link, maybe you missed it or something.

Regarding the barrel part, all of the barrels in that pic (aside from the far left one, which is a 1911 one (which doesn't have the wear that the other ones do)) are from pistols with a locked breech mechanism. Traditional blowback pistols like this 1911 have a barrel that doesn't have any contact with the slide. Heres a glock with the slide back, notice the tilted barrel (http://puu.sh/n6MbY/bed696c8cd.jpg). That happens every time you fire the gun which is what causes the type of wear that you posted.

Please don't take this as me trying to turn down criticism or trying to discourage you from giving feedback or anything. I usually try to be as accurate as I can be with these things. All of the things you pointed out are either there or shouldn't be there. If you have anything to add to your original post, please don't hesitate to do so. :smiley:

@Shrike
    Can you be more specific on how I should go about removing the wear? I messed around with it quite a bit and every time I made it less uniform it ended up looking less real. Most of my refs have pretty uniform wear and I tried to break that up as best as I could but every time I did it ended up with a more cgi-y look. The idea sounded good in theory but in practice I just couldn't get it to look right.

Also, do you mean the bullets in the mag or all of them? I explained why the bullets in the mag look off in an earlier post and its on my to-do list but if its the whole thing you're going to have to elaborate.

Blue on the fancy pic is from the environment I used but I'll mess around with all of that after I do all the edits. Thanks a bunch for your input so far. Always nice to get hard hitting criticism.
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Alright heres an update on this thing;

I think I managed to cover most issues that were outlined in this thread. Still, let me know if I missed anything :blush: 

• Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Looks very cool!
  • r0tzbua
    Offline / Send Message
    r0tzbua polycounter lvl 8
    I like it a lot, great material definition.

Did you go for the painted metal look for a particular reason? Since most of the references I'm seeing (doing some work on one right now myself) use a blued or pretty pure metal, which has quite different wear. Just wondering. 
  • cR45h
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    r0tzbua said:

Did you go for the painted metal look for a particular reason? Since most of the references I'm seeing (doing some work on one right now myself) use a blued or pretty pure metal, which has quite different wear. Just wondering. 
    I was going of several refs, but my main one was this http://puu.sh/n4b0J/64abe6507b.jpg

It has this blue coating with tons of wear. I wanted to go with a less warn version and this is what I came up with. I may have normaled  the wear in a bit too much but I'm still happy with the result regardless.
  • r0tzbua
    Offline / Send Message
    r0tzbua polycounter lvl 8
    cR45h said:
    r0tzbua said:

I was going of several refs, but my main one was this http://puu.sh/n4b0J/64abe6507b.jpg

It has this blue coating with tons of wear. I wanted to go with a less warn version and this is what I came up with. I may have normaled  the wear in a bit too much but I'm still happy with the result regardless.
    Ah alright, that explains that type, haven't seen it in most of my refs, thanks!
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Beautiful wear! The textures look great.